Locking tuners on Standard ‘61?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by JohnJ, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Timothy J Johnson

Timothy J Johnson New Member

When I purchased my SG from zzounds, it was already fitted with locking tuners. But I wanted to change the appearance, the black pickguard and silver tuners didnt suit my liking so I bought Black Gotoh locking tuners, with tortoise shell knobs. The fit perfectly in. Neck dive? Never heard of such a thing.

Attached Files:

2. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

PERFECT !

SG Standard TBK 52.jpg

PhoenixFear likes this.
  3. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

My 73 SG still has it's original tuners and they work just fine, though I do lock the strings as shown at the beginning of this thread. Any tuning issue I ever have is generally down to old strings, brand new strings that haven't been stretched properly or a sticking nut, all easily solved with a bit of experience.

There really is nothing wrong with standard Gibson tuners and I am puzzled why someone would want to start changing hardware on a quality instrument that is so new. In fact, there is nothing more I like than taking a butchered SG and restoring it back to the way it would have left the factory. If I had to change tuners, my preference would always be Grovers, just not the locking variety.

Each to their own.

4. Dagger

Dagger Member

The Gotoh lockers look pretty authentic looks like they might even fit the screw holes they
    Look like they should do the trick. Grover lockers came stock on my 2018 sg standard and I couldn't be happier I hope ya find what you're looking for