Lollars 50s wind or stock P90 ?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Dangerhouse77, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Dangerhouse77

Dangerhouse77 Member

I’m thinking of swapping the stock P90 out of my SG Junior but not 100% sure which to go with. I p,ay 70s style punk and 60s garage (think The Sonics version of
    Louie Louie for sound idea) . I like a good bright chainsaw type of dirt. Just seeing if anyone ever tried these in a sg

2. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Honesty, I'd stick with the stock pickup. The Gibson ones are hot and aggressive for the kind of sound you are looking for.
    And while I may catch flack for having the temerity to say it, I think Lollars are way overpriced and overrated. I tried a pair once and for the kind of scratch JL charges for the things you might expect some kind of noticeable improvement, but...nah. I think maybe the difference is they are a little more "polite" sounding and shift the mid emphasis a little, but for the cost of the things you should get something out of them a bit more dramatic than moving a knob on your amp from 5 to 5-1/2.

Dangerhouse77 and DrBGood like this.
  3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

A few months back, when I got my 2006 Epiphone '57 RE Jr, I replaced the P100 with a Chinese $21.99 Alnico5 P90 that was pretty good. All the attributes of a good P90 (never came across a P90 that sounded bad yet). A week or two later I had the opportunity to buy a 2008 Lollar for $40 Canadian. I jumped on it, thinking it should be incredible beyond belief, seeing the cheap one was so good. I replaced it and ... the skies didn't open. It was minimally better than the cheapo but I would have lived happy keeping the China made P90.

So yes, I too say keep the Gibson and your money in your pocket for something more significant.

But one thing you should do though, is get your flat screwdriver and raise those pole pieces closer to the strings. This is how I raised them on my Jr and it screamed. But they came down half way since then.

I might raise them again after writing this ...

Pole pieces.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    skelt101, Dangerhouse77 and Biddlin like this.
  4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with a stock P-90.

Seems like there are quite a few aftermarket P-90's available today and what's funny is how so many claim to have a vintage sound trying to recreate the sound of the stock P-90 that you already have.

It seems pointless to me to replace stock P-90's since there is nothing wrong with them. It's really hard to mess up a P-90.

I would think the whole reason aftermarket P-90's exist is for people who build custom guitars from scratch and need parts to complete the builds.

If there is something you are not liking about the stock P-90, then maybe adjust the pup height and/or the settings on your amp.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Dangerhouse77 and Biddlin like this.
  5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

"It seems pointless to me to replace stock P-90's...If there is something you are not liking about the stock P-90, then maybe adjust the pup height..."
    Yup, that covers it.

6. Dangerhouse77

Dangerhouse77 Member

I agree with all of you. I added a small shim under the dogear to bring it up a little and I like what I’m hearing.

Biddlin likes this.
  7. Dangerhouse77

Dangerhouse77 Member

Ok so here what I needed up doing. I replaced the stock pots with RS Guitarworks super pot for volume and CTS 500K for tone. Shimmed the dogesr to bring it up a little. It sounded better but something was still missing. So I swapped the stock P90 with a Wolfetone Mean P90. That did the trick. There was the sound I had in my head. I think why there’s so many after market P90s out there is the sound in some people’s head just can’t be found in the stock Gibson P90. Don’t get me wrong. They are great pickups just didn’t fit what I wanted

8. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Well-Known Member

I'm glad you found what you are looking for, question though , do you have access to a multi meter?

I ask because I am curious if the gibbby pickup is wound to a higher DC (more winds) or is it the A2 magnets in the wolf tone pickup.

9. Westernrider

Westernrider Well-Known Member

Stay with the Gibson P-90 and don't look back. Don't doubt your decision as it is the pickup you are describing.

As for the Lollars, I replaced the original P-90's in my Sapphire LP - the standard neck and the slightly over wound bridge.
    The Gibson P-90's were very mismatched in output and I just gave up trying to adjust the pickups and constantly rolling the volume and tones up and down. My second problem with the pickups were that they were just freaking rough sounding. Yes, the guitar is an old Sapphire and all original. The dealer that sold the guitar put it up on consignment as the owner never played it. And my hatred / annoyance with pickups kept growing.

After much discussion and trying a few guitars, I settled on the Lollars. They give the guitar an uptown sort of sound and feel ..... smooth and smoky and I prefer them over most Gibson P-90's for this reason.

10. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

... smoky ? I like it. First time I hear that one.

11. Dangerhouse77

Dangerhouse77 Member

I’ll have to get my multimeter from work to be sure. I know the Wolfetone Mean P90 is wound about 8k. Modern Gibson’s are 9k. So between the Alinco 2 magnets and being slightly under wound gives it the tone I was looking for

cheshiergrin likes this.
  12. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

Both P90 pickups in my 2019 SG Special are around 8K... Are you sure your’s are that “hot”, @Dangerhouse77 ?

13. Dangerhouse77

Dangerhouse77 Member

I’m not 100% sure. I read that somewhere that a few years ago Gibson upped the windings. I do know the Wolfetone has a different, and for me, better sound

14. OBX351

OBX351 New Member

I've got Lollars in my, '63 SG reissue, '54 custom reissue, in a custom one off build LP Special and I had them in a '60 TV special. They are excellent P90 pickups and much better than any of the stock Gibson P90s I've ever played. Give Lollar a call and tell them about your guitar. I've done this twice and both times I spoke with Jason. He suggested a pickup and said to send them back if I didn't like them. They were killer. I'd also get a vintage PiO harness with tested pots, it'll also help your tone out. Good luck!

15. tolm

tolm Well-Known Member

Personally, my favourite are Bare Knuckle Nantucket P90s and have I’ve enjoyed them in a number of guitars over the years - including currently in my 335.

Also had Lollars (standard wind I believe) and they were good but I prefer the BKPs and the Lollars felt a little less “P90-y” (I believe his design is slightly different?) and were quite hot so if I were going for Lollars I, personally, would be tempted to try the lower-wind 50s ones.