Looking for a good wah pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects' started by HellHammer, Jul 23, 2012.

1. HellHammer

HellHammer New Member

Alright, so I'm looking for a good (but rather inexepsnive) wah pedal, something $100 USD or less preferably, but I could go a little more possibly, in a few weeks I'm picking up new gear (guitar + amp, since I sold all mine off years ago for personal reasons and now I've decided I want to play full time again instead of just borrowing friends equipment to play and keep my skill up, but anyways)

Basically I want something that can do Eric Clapton style Wah effects (Think Cream/White Room), I don't have much experience with Wah pedals, aside from a little bit after I first started playing years ago with a cheap Wah I bought for like $15 (I believe it was behringer) which had absolute terrible tone/build quality and was relatively worthless.

So any input would be welcomed.

2. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Either a Vox or a Cry Baby. Try them both
    and take home the one you like more.

3. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

I'd agree here. I prefer the Vox. The Cry Babies I've used clip halfway through movement and sweep way high into quack sounding territory, but this isn't as terrible on a warm guitar.

I'm really eying the MC404 but it's big money for a wah.

4. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

I've owned several Vox and Crybabies and I say go with the Vox. After all, THAT is the one that Eric and Jimi used in the 60s!

slappy2x likes this.
  5. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

The newer Vox are nice n tasty throughout the sweep where I find the newer Cry Babys. like Asssquatch,
    to be at times thin & harsh on the upper sweep [​IMG]especially when playing in the guitars upper register, almost like the guitar looses its umph & fades thin. Sometimes even making those notes that scream in yer ear & feel like the drummer has his stick wedged deep in your ear & is wiggling it around. Hey, I've also gotten 'the look' from the other guys in the band when using the newer Cry Baby (the one the wife bought me for my B day a couple years ago) when playing at volume & kickin out one of those snarky brittle screechers during a lead seeming to come on out of nowhere. You know the kind, wailin away then all of a sudden one of those notes just AAAhh what the. I had to buy another pedal without her knowing, a Cry Baby 535Q [​IMG]set to sound like a Vox. ha! Thanks honey baby but I'll do the gear shopping. Between the entry level Cry Baby & the Vox, I'll take the Vox please.

6. HellHammer

HellHammer New Member

Yeah, I was leaning more towards Vox, my problem is guitar stores here are far and few in-between (Ones that have a wide selection anyways) and I can't bother to drive for 2 hours to get to one that does, I do know for certain the shop here does have Cry Baby's and Vox's though, so I think i may spend an hour or so testing out some different models in my price range and see what comes up. I usually try to look for youtube reviews/demonstrations to get a general idea, but I just can't seem to find many good ones of Vox's (IE, most of the videos are poor quality) and the majority of the high quality ones they only do clean sounds, which is a good starting point, but I also need something that I know what it sounds like through distortion/overdrive.

7. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

Save the pennies and get a fulltone standard. If your choice is between the Vox and the Cry Baby, the Vox wins hands down. None of the Vox's or cry babes are built like the early ones. A better cheap wah than the ones mentioned is a used Red Snarling Dog. They look stupid, but sound better than the Vox or cry baby. You can change the tone sweep as well and they are more durable,

8. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Just to be different I still use my 70's Cry-baby, although it has had most of the innards replaced since 1972.

Frankly, it sounds like all the other basic wahs - and the ones that are NOT "basic" don't sound right to me anyway.

The Vox and Cry-baby pedals have an interlocked history.Wah-wah pedal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thomas Organ USA, Vox of Britain, and some Italian makers were all involved with amps, organs, and in this case a pedal design that was branded several different ways over the years.

"Early versions of the Clyde McCoy featured an image of McCoy on the bottom panel, which soon gave way to only his signature. Thomas Organ then wanted the effect branded as their own for the American market, changing it to Cry Baby which was sold in parallel to the Italian Vox V846. Thomas Organ's failure to trademark the Cry Baby name soon led to the market being flooded with Cry Baby imitations from various parts of the world, including Italy, where all of the original Vox and Cry Babys were made.[2] Jen, who had been responsible for the manufacture of Thomas Organ and Vox wah pedals, also made rebranded pedals for companies such as Fender and Gretsch and under their own Jen brand. When Thomas Organ moved production completely to Sepulveda, California and Chicago, Illinois these Italian models continued to be made and are among the more collectible wah pedals today."

However the named and branded pedals made today are not always the same as they used to be! Plus guys go nuts over stuff like the color of the Fasel inductor used, etc.
    Just find one you like.

9. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

i have a vox reissue and for $100 new you really can't go wrong. i tried the vox, crybaby and zakk wylde crybaby as they were all within my price range and chose the vox as it had the most "authentic" classic wah sound to my ears. plus the vox looks cool with the black and chrome housing!

10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

That's the way, man - pick what sounds good to YOU even if it isn't my choice.

I'm all for everyone having their own tone.

11. grifenhagen

grifenhagen Member

i actually had a pedal about a year ago, called the "weeping demon"...
    it was an ibanez pedal.
    and it had some pretty cool features, like you could adjust alot on it to get alot of different tones and depths out of it. cant remember what i did with it though..

if you can find one on ebay, you can probably get it pretty cheap, and it is a damn good wah pedal

12. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Vox 847 all the way baby!
    [​IMG]

13. slappy2x

slappy2x Member

Anyone ever tried the Bad Horsie? I like the option of having the wah activate when you step on it and cut off immediately after you lift your foot off of it (w/o having to click down on the on/off buton)......

14. CATMANDUE

CATMANDUE Well-Known Member

I got a cry baby I've had for years. The next wah I get will be a Real McCoy Teese pedal. They are expensive but worth it.

15. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I've tried them. They have a nice sweep. You cant leave it set for certain open pedal tones when set for auto off when removing the foot. That feature has its good & its bad points. Having grown up on an early generation Cry Baby, I opted to corral the Horsie & get the very versitile Dunlop 535Q

[​IMG]

This nails a variety of classic wah tones, has adjustable Q, Adjustable sweep & adjustable volume boost. Its not crazy cheap but around the same as a endorsed model name like a Wylde, EVH, Dimebag, Hammet etc etc. You certainly will find the tone or tones you like with this pedal. I haven't been this happy with one since my original in the early 70s. Ya, I'm old. Still playing out though, & still rockin a Cry Baby.

16. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Active Member

I've got the latest vox and it sounds good, but there is a background noise to it. I have also built a byoc wha and that sounds much better than my vox with no unwanted noise. I did have it fitted in the vox pedal housing but didn't fit proppely, so will have to get case for it. But if you don't mind a little project its a cheap way to get a expencive wha.

17. Phildog

Phildog Member

I have the Crybaby Classic with the Red Fasel. I did a true-bypass w/LED mod. I love it!