Looking for an SG Standard with a big neck. What years are best?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Oig, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Oig

Oig Member

Apologies if this has been covered before…I’m in the market for an SG Standard and I like meatier necks, like Gibson’s current 50s profile or the 2008 SG Special I once had (never shoulda let it go). Which years are best?

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

SG Standard 2016 T

Thickness at Fret 1: 0.818"
    Thickness at Fret 12: 0.963"

Oig likes this.
  3. MR D

MR D Active Member

If your buying used ? Mid-'90's-2019 get a 'Bat-Wing' SG Standard, its not a huge difference but they are technically not 'Slim-Taper's like the 'Angel-Wing' SG's are. IDK what Pickup's you prefer but if it was me buyin it......get one 100% stock, w/'57's.....

64Tele likes this.
  4. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

That’s the Rounded profile. Same as the new ones.

5. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

SG Classic, 2010 - 2012 SG Std has a medium C neck shape.

6. Oig

Oig Member

Awesome, I love bat wing guards. Most of the ones I’m circling on Reverb and Fleabay are 2016 or 2019.

7. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Member

My ‘61 Original has the same measurements, but feels thinner than it is because it’s a flat profile vs. a rounded profile. My 2010 batwing Standard measures smaller than the ‘61, but it’s rounded and thus feels bigger. Numbers can be misleading, it’s more about the shape IMO…flat vs. rounded.

Go Nigel Go and Decadent Dan like this.
  8. cerebral gasket

1st fret thickness is good to know.
    I prefer it to be thicker in that region for chords.

But yes, it's not only the thickness, also the amount of shoulder and shape that determines how it feels.

My SG Classic with the biggest neck of all my current SG has similar numbers as my LP Junior DC '58 RI, but the LP feels feels like an SG on steroids. The LP neck has massive shoulders and is so comfortable to play.

The thickest neck that I've ever encountered was attached to a 1970 SG Junior, but the narrow 1-9/16" nut width made it feel like a shovel handle. It was as though they cut a baseball bat in half lengthwise and glued a fretboard on top.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Pointyfan, SGBreadfan and Go Nigel Go like this.
  9. Decadent Dan

I had an original 69 SG Jr with the same huge neck. Also a similar neck on a 60’s LG0 acoustic.

Go Nigel Go and cerebral gasket like this.
  10. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Good points above on the objective measurements vs relative profiles. A lot of people can get hung up on the one or two numbers that are easy to measure, and miss the relative feel of how all the dimensions interact. More than once I have picked up a guitar with a neck width and thickness similar to one of my own only to find that it feels nothing like what I expected. I have also found some that I would call "too chunky" based on the objective measurements, but on handling and playing for a few minutes found that it actually was quite comfortable.

I also thought I was a "flat fret board guy" for a long time, now I have several with some fairly tight radiuses that I also like very much. It doesn't pay to get too precious about what are essentially a smorgasbord of useful dimensions and features that combined will make a guitar somebody will love. The range of shapes and dimensions I like has actually gotten more diverse over the years instead of more selective. I still find guitars that are not for me all the time, but I can't always tell based on some random thing like the nut width, 12th fret thickness, fret board radius, etc. if I am going to like it or not.

11. Decadent Dan

12. cerebral gasket

Slim Taper = 60's neck
    Rounded = 50's neck

Since there were no SG in the 50's they call them Rounded instead of 50's.

I've only seen "Medium C" used on some of the reissues like the 1964 SG Standard Reissue.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  13. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I like my 2014 SG Original 2. It has a wider neck. I like the subtle “D” profile of it, as well.

14. cerebral gasket

In the past, I had both of the following guitars at the same time:

2009 SG '61 RI
    Neck Profile: Slim Taper

2004 SG Special
    Neck Profile: Rounded

If I had to draw the profile of each neck, they would look like this:

[​IMG]

I would switch back and forth between both guitars. As nice as that SG '61 RI was, I could not get along with the Slim Taper neck and sold it. That was the very guitar that made me realize I had a preference for chunky rounded necks.

SGBreadfan likes this.
  15. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

Interesting, IDK how GIBSON makes/shapes their necks or how they label whatever profile the neck is supposed to be...but I did get a 335 and the Neck Profile is supposedly a 'Rounded C' profile and altho it is definitely not a slim-taper, I was kinda expecting a 'FAT' type of neck, like a 50's Les Paul (the kind that hurts one's hand after playing it), yes?
    BUT its nothing of the sort. The neck on the 335 is surprisingly easy on my hands and a pleasure to play......Slim-Tapers for whatever reason, can get kinked bindings when straightened too much but this 335, I get it almost DEAD STRAIGHT and it SCREEEEMS !
    and from time to time I check the binding to be sure its not 'Kink'-ing. That neck is like a ROCK now....it took about 18 months to settle, but after it settled down the neck relief doesn't change with the season's nor does the string height change @ 12Th fret when I take it out of its case. Prior to settling, every time I took it out the relief would open a bit and the string height would go 1/64th lower and I would have to raise the strings and close the relief, but then one day after about 15 months.... it just stopped and hasn't budged since.

Do you ever notice this? From my experience, that a new 'SET' Neck takes between 12-24 months to settle or stablize and after they do settle the 'Fatter' necks never budge? The exception being Slim-Tapers and even they don't move that much...this is just what I've noticed over about a 7-10 year period of buying new instead of used GIBSON's with various Neck Profiles. The one exception being a Les Paul CUSTOM w/FATTEST Neck I've ever played and that has practically never budged, it was/is like a frikkin ROCK from day 1.....but it does hurt me hands/fingers. This particular Lester is the only guitar I have ever owned that I have to adjust the way I play in order to avoid hurting my fingers/hands.

16. Michael Zaporozhets

Michael Zaporozhets New Member

Late '63 -> Early '64 is probably the greatest 'neck' era after the famed '59 profile.

17. Pointyfan

Pointyfan Member

IMG_1620 (3).JPG My 2010 Standard has the biggest neck of any of my 5 SG's including my '65 Special. It's even a bit bigger than my 2008 SG Classic..

SGBreadfan and Go Nigel Go like this.
  18. Chris Kline

Chris Kline New Member

I have a 2004 Standard, bat-wing guard. It's a rounded neck, a decent amount of shoulder, actually more then I like, I like a bit more soft V. Anywho it's .845 @ 1st and .976 @ 12th which is like a sweet spot, for me, between a 60's taper and a 50's taper. I had a beautiful TV yellow Lp special but the neck was really a log and I ended up selling it.