Looking for new pickups on Chinese Tokai SG

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by LesSGTeleNYC, Jun 26, 2021.

1. LesSGTeleNYC

LesSGTeleNYC New Member

I’m not into the ceramics it came with. What should I put on it? It’s actually a 3 pickup SG Custom, but who knows maybe I’ll take the middle one out.

Just looking for classic paf tone.

2. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

If you're not looking to spend a heap I'd suggest trying Guitar Madness pickups. They sound great and don't cost much. Either his '57 (A2) or '59 (A5) pickups would work well. He's located in NYC too.

3. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Yeah, middle pickups are pointless but look cool so I just disconnected and tossed the magnet. That thing in my avie came with Burstbuckers that were incidentally adjusted just right so I went WOW and kept them. Used to be a notorious pickup switcher until I learned how to set them up correctly. Hard to give a solid tip that fits you right though, yer just gonna have to play a bunch of different ones till you hit what suits you.

4. dumpster chicken

dumpster chicken New Member

I have a Tokai SG, and I put in DiMarzio '59's in it, with no covers. Sounds great!

5. Westernrider

Westernrider Well-Known Member

Hey LesSGTele....

If you are going on a budget, you might look into these pickups.....

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Chrome-Nickel-Humbucker-Sized-Pickups_c_642.html

On the SG's, many folk say the middle pickup is a pain and gets in the way, and I can understand their point of view.

First off, I like the middle toggle switch position and roll the volume or tone controls. Also, I've owned a couple of LP Customs over the years and actually like 'em with the 3 pickup set up.

There are several ways to wire this monstrosity. I stayed with the simple switching stock wiring, so my set-up was either:

n - n+m - b
    n - m+b - b

If you decide to try the three pickup thing, do some research, there are some other options.

papagayo likes this.
  6. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

Snag a pair of 490r 490t that somebody pulled from their new Gibson because they thought something else sounds better to them.

cerebral gasket and Von Trapp like this.
  7. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

And also n - n+b - b and wire one separate volume to the middle if one thinks it matters. Done it to most strats and a Custom. Best way if you ask me because, if one is inclined as to play stuff where it matters, you can have all pickups separately, middle as well, both pickups that actually matter separately or with middle as well as the good old B+N . Amaze your friends at parties...

Also I can probably +1 on the guitarfetish pickups because I got a pair of Brown Sound ones there, before I knew better, that I later changed for some more fancy brand back when i thought I did know better, and finally put back in a guitar now that I actually DO know better. They sound great.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  8. dumpster chicken

dumpster chicken New Member

I put DiMarzio '59s on my Tokai SG. They sound great.

9. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

GFS are great pickups for a reasonable price.

10. Metal-head14

Metal-head14 New Member

I've heard the same but can never find any good demo's on them. I'm a fan of A2 magnets with that classic 60's tone.

Orignal burtst buckers 1 & 2 with orange drop caps @ 200v sound perfect for me. 57 classics are nice as well but the early models not the later 2015+.

11. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

12. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Actually, Gibson used A5 magnets for most of the '60s. Only the earliest SGs made in 1961 would have had A2 magnets.

But GFS has all kinds of options. I got two of their neck position A5s because I like balanced outputs around 7.5k just like a T-Top.

13. Kirk Dahnke

Kirk Dahnke Member

While GFS do make good pickups they aren't as good of a deal after the taxes and shipping they charge. I'd keep an eye on ebay for a used higher quality pickup. Just my experience and two cents. Lol.