Looking to collaborate!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Simmo, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Simmo

Simmo New Member

evening all!

As the title suggests, I'm looking to collaborate with someone (anyone!).
    If you have some recorded tunes you need drums for, give me a shout. I'm not a great drummer, but a real life drummer beats those drum machines any day! You can't really beat that "human" feel.

I also play guitar and bass, so would be up for anything.

Want to do a cover? I'm game. Have some guitar parts you want drums for?

Whatever, give me a shout! I'm up for almost anything, any genre (apart from death metal). I would welcome any excuse to play with other musicians again - I have my own mini studio here and no one to play with!

Someone get the ball rolling!

2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

How would this work? I mean, which DAWS can you work with....or do I send you a WAV or AIFF and you play along, record the drum track only, and send a track back to me?

I usually work with Pro Tools 10, Reaper and Able Live 9 Lite.

You can hear a few selections of my compositions at:

https://soundcloud.com/kreweofsound

3. Simmo

Simmo New Member

I dunno! I use GarageBand, but will be able to output my drums for you to use in your DAW easily enough. I will have a listen now!

4. Simmo

Simmo New Member

I wouldn't even know where to start with your work... They have drums already!

5. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    The problem is that the drums are the foundation of a piece of music. They need to be there first. I suppose we could play against a click track, but that would mean you had to drum mechanically to match it - against the spirit of what you want to do.

Do you have any sample bits of drumming we could hear - maybe 6/8 at about 90 bpm for example? That might give us a starting point for a way to collaborate.

6. Simmo

Simmo New Member

You are right! I was looking more for people who had recorded something with a drum machine/ midi drums / no drums etc.

I'm used to playing with the bass when recording. Bass to a click, then I record the drums. Even then the bass is never 100% in time to the click, which is good IMO.

However, yes, I can do that! Did I mention I'm a learner drummer?

Also, I pick up my first SG tomorrow, so the drums will be neglected for a few days I reckon!

As an idea, a cover song would be a good idea. Given that this is a Gibson SG forum, something like AC/DC or black sabbath might not be a bad idea! In fact, it would be amazing to get 3 or 4 of us (or more) together to make this a truly international and varied cover collab!

7. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I write new stuff all the time.

Not always - I often record with a template of MIDI instruments composed in Sibelius, then transferred to a DAWS, and then you can add any real or virtual instruments to that.

Although I definitely have used Addictive Drums VI drums on those templates, I also use real drums, and have had good results with guys playing to the recorded tracks.

It's quite possible for a drummer to record his tracks after everything else has been recorded, they just need to know how to play to a click track AND keep the feel alive.

8. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    Sure you can do MIDI with no drum track, but there you are not performing in a vacuum, you have a tempo built into the various music parts. No problem laying drums in later there - MIDI is as good as a click track.

But try starting with a lead guitar part and add the rhythms in later. That's possible, certainly, but would you want to do it that way?

9. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

You're right, although possible, it would be tough to do and somewhat ass-backwards! I'm not even sure what leads I'm going to play until I can work off the rhythm section.

10. Simmo

Simmo New Member

The simple option, If anyone is interested is a cover. It would be a good start!

AC/DC would be a good idea with all these SG's hanging around here!

If that works out, It will pave the way!

11. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

12. deeaa

deeaa Member

Not looking for more collaboration projects than I already have (dozens...) but I've been doing this for a LONG time, and one of the founding members of for instance Project-43 which is a collab band who have never met but we have put five full length CD's on iTunes etc. since, erm, 2005 or so. Probably well over a hundred projects by now, easily.

So I may have some tips and advice if any needed, I have collaborated with dozens of people around the globe - check my home page for dozens of full band collab videos I have done or been in for instance...and made plenty of bad choices and mistakes on the way too, so if you get serious about these, how to do things and such, do ask away, I may have some experience on it and would be happy to help avoid issues.

As for drums, yeah a click track is a MUST, any professional studio or producer will laugh you out the door if you don't play to a click track...click track killing the mood is just folklore, it does no such thing, you just have to learn to play with them NOT like a machine would follow but use it to your benefit. I'm a crap drummer but I've always played drums to a click from day one, even at rehearsals. I don't need to but it sure helps locking into the groove. For my own solo productions, I always play guitars first to a click then drums later on and it works fine. May need to replay some guitar after that if it's not exact, like 'steals' or jumps to a beat in spots etc. but no biggie. By and large all music is best to a steady beat for sure. Laxity and waver in rhythm only feels good to a single player playing solo. You can't build anything without a common base or it'd be like building a bridge where each support is built by people using different measures and guesstimates, it will not be a good one.

Just posted an example of a tune I did over the weekend but check out Spotify for "D.A Star Children" for my latest release for instance.

Once all the instruments are in beta phase, THEN you can ditch the click track and replay drums, guitars, whatever, but to start working, definitely use a click track. You can't see or anticipate the other's playing online so it's the only option or it will not sound good at all.

Even for cover songs (just this week we did Judas Priest's Hellbent For Leather) we use a click track; on this particular tune the tempo varies throughout the song but that's what the tempo tracks on DAWs are for, you can adjust tempos between each song part freely and still have a common click for all to follow.