Looking to trade my Strat Partscaster.

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by MarkusMaximus6275, Feb 21, 2021.

1. MarkusMaximus6275

MarkusMaximus6275 New Member

Hi all. First post. I have a Fender Strat partscaster, and I was originally looking to trade for a Tele. Someone answered my ad and offered an older (He says 2004) Epiphone SG. Guitar looks in nice shape, but I thought I'd ask everyone's opinion first. I've been looking to get into humbuckers, and this is a nice looking guitar. My Strat has an American body and a Squier neck. thumbnail_image0.jpg

2. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

No brainer. Grab it.

MarkusMaximus6275 likes this.
  3. Brian Kenny

Brian Kenny Member

Thats a good one looks to be a Vintage edition they only made those for a few years . I got one last year after waiting for one to come up for sale localy .

4. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Value wise, assuming you have strat pickups, I'd say it's pretty much even steven so if you like the feel and sound of the SG there's no reason not to go for it.

5. ShaolinCat

ShaolinCat New Member

I bought a very similar guitar a few weeks ago - I like mine. I'm far from an expert (lots of people here are) but my understanding is that this model seems to be one of the better Epiphone SG-style guitars (excluding the Japanese and possibly the Czech models). It was one of the last made in Korea before they moved production to China. They were well-made and they threw in some nice extras like a one-piece neck, and on some a solid body with no veneer (still not sure about mine on this front). We can confirm the seller is telling you the truth by the yellow lettering on the headstock and the binding on the fretboard which confirm its identity. These guitars can be difficult to find but that doesn't mean they are particularly expensive when you do, unless somebody is trying to leverage their scarcity: Korean and Chinese Epiphones aren't collectors guitars

It's a very different guitar from a Tele. My main guitar is a Telecaster and I got this to do something different - I wanted have a guitar with humbuckers as you do, but unlike you I kept my other guitar and they complement each other

I don’t think it's a good deal for you to do a direct swap: these guitars go for around $200 to $300 (I paid $200) and yours might be worth a bit more than that being as it has a US body... I would have thought a fully-loaded US body with pickups, pickguard, trem and US CTS wiring would have been worth at least that on its own without any neck (actually, probably rather more), but it depends on what the year, the pickups/trem etc and condition are (I guess somebody broke the neck and slapped the squire neck on it as a cheap repair?). I think you are selling youself short by selling it as a 'Frankenstrat' and the Squire neck effectively devalues it. You might be better either splitting it and selling as US body only and Squire neck only (easy to ship each item separately as opposed to shipping a whole guitar!), or trying to get a US neck and selling it as a full US model (admitting the neck change, obviously) and selling the Squire neck separately, that would get you a lot more money... speculate to accumulate! My guess is the guy knows this which is why he is offering you this guitar - though it is a nice guitar

Can you offer him $200 (max $250) for his guitar and then sell one of the two guitars later (maybe the strat split as 'parts') if you only want to have one and after you've decided which you like more?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  6. MarkusMaximus6275

Thank you for the very detailed response...very much appreciated. What I REALLY want is a Tele...having said that, I've always had an affinity for AC/DC and I'd love to hear what this would sound like through my Blues Jr. My ideal buy would be a "70s Vintage Tele with
    the humbucker in the neck position.
    ef43bd691157fb4acf2c7081acf83d16.jpg

pancake81 likes this.
  7. ShaolinCat

ShaolinCat New Member

Clearly you need to try the SG through your amp and see if you like it - there is no other option if you want to avoid disappointment

The SG and the tele are different guitars: different scale length, different woods, different neck joint, differernt pickups, different bridge. It's really up to you - for me I think having both is good, but my tele is a 50's style with two single coils and I don't have experience of a humbucker in the neck position

But are you looking for a tele because of direct experience or because you like the vibe?

A single-coil Tele (not sure about HB version) is different from a Strat in that it a very unforgiving guitar in terms of playing style and very 'revealing'. The angle you pluck the strings or the angle of the pick and attack you use have a big impact on the tone you produce on a tele. As an example, fast strumming a tele is challenging as you have to be really consistent with each of your strokes or it sounds like a mess, but on a Strat with a trem it's a bit easier as the strat evens the sound out more. I like this aspect of the tele which is the main reason I got it, but I can imagine it would irritate many people. My SG is closer to a strat in this respect as it produces a more consistent sound, though in most other ways it's very different

Personally not a fan of the ash-box bridge on that tele in your photo, though they do sound good with brass saddles. I have an ash-box bridge on mine and the edges intefere with my heel-damping/palm muting. Modern style tele bridges don't have sides at all which is sensible, but that might impact tone. Barrel bridges on teles like one that one can also be an issue if you have a strong sense of pitch as intonation is difficult with them. SG and Les Paul bridges allow individual string intonation like on a Strat (and some more modern teles) and are very comfortable for heel-damping - much more so than strats with those raised grub screws and teles with raised grub screws and the silly raised sides on the bridge

8. MarkusMaximus6275

Pulled the trigger. With apologies to Francis Ford Coppola, I got an offer I couldn't refuse...it's coming tomorrow. SO looking forward to hearing it through the Blues Jr.

pancake81, Von Trapp and AngelDeVille like this.
  9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

The SG is definitely a different animal, but not in a bad way.

The Telecaster is the only 7ender guitar I do like.

10. MarkusMaximus6275

I have a Squier Tele that is begging for some upgrades, bridge, pups, etc.

11. MarkusMaximus6275

Grabbed.

12. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

And?

13. MarkusMaximus6275

Lovin' it so far. It is quite a bit different. Tomorrow will be a good test. My wife is working days, and I'm off, so the Blues Jr. gets turned up. I decoded the serial number, and it was made at the Saein, Korea factory, in October of 2004. Everything is stock. It may need a three way switch, or it might be as cheap as a bit of contact spray.