Looks like Gibson Has Finally Decided to Join Us......

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by bradsure, May 8, 2009.

1. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

2. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

very interesting... I have been saying prices are going to have to drop for a while now. Maybe now we will see more sub 1000 gibsons again. I also wonder if the LP standards are going to get a price reduction.

3. AznSGPlayer

AznSGPlayer Member

oh my gosh, this is wonderful news.. hope it doesn't go up again, it'll be a while till i have that much money, i also wish they're add some more finish options to the standards

4. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

Thats good news if your in America.. I shoulda have bought when the Canadain dollar was so high lololol darn

5. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

6. uyasgali

uyasgali Member

7. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

8. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

I was at Daddy's Junky Music in Syracuse, NY awhile back and the manager was telling me how Gibson increased the price you have to pay for the products and the dealer didn't get to choose the products they wanted to carry.

Long story short, the Manager said there is talk about Gibson becoming a direct order business.

I don't know if that's why Gibson has the price at $1199 there and musiciansfriend is has it at $1649........Just a thought.

9. pcypert

pcypert New Member

Guess I'm hanging onto my standard now. I just bought the thing used for about 1100 USD (in Singapore about the best deal you could get on one). I'm not going to take the hit required to sell used with them selling new at that price now. Wish I had waited one more week to buy my standard. Oh well...I have upgraded pups so I guess it's still good :D

Paul

10. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

[quote author=zrAC/DC link=topic=19205.msg232675#msg232675 date=1241918870]
    .Long story short, the Manager said there is talk about Gibson becoming a direct order business.
    [/quote]

I heard that rumor a few years ago when Gibson decided that small independent Mom & Pop Music stores were forbidden to list prices on internet web sites.

I'll believe it when i see it

11. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

[quote author=bradsure link=topic=19205.msg232617#msg232617 date=1241828981]
    In the recession! SG Standard starting at $1199?
    Slashing Prices.
    [/quote]

Slashing prices? Have you seen what some of them custom shop pieces are going for ?
    It's a joke !

12. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

I think it's a typo.

13. gnolivos

gnolivos Member

Sweetwater.com already has the new prices listed. Personally, I'm not happy... the resale value of my current SGs has dropped significantly. I just bought a used 2004 Standard for $1,100. I doubt that I could sell it for more than $850 now.

This is of course great news for those in the market for a new SG. Oh well.

14. P40s revenge

P40s revenge New Member

I seen a gibson standard sg for 900€,thought it was a overpriced epiphone and i looked at the headstock :Droolin:

15. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

I thought we all buy Gibson's because we love the way they sound and feel. With that being the case does it matter the resale value? I don't think I would ever sell mine.

16. gnolivos

gnolivos Member

No, not everyone. Some of us like to continuously 'upgrade' our guitar collections by selling some guitars and getting newer ones.... we do rely on a predictable 'used market pricing' to make this happen. When a guitar manufacturer drops their price by 30%, it sends things out of whack!

[quote author=zrAC/DC link=topic=19205.msg232953#msg232953 date=1242590192]
    I thought we all buy Gibson's because we love the way they sound and feel. With that being the case does it matter the resale value? I don't think I would ever sell mine.
    [/quote]

17. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, we're complaining about Gibson lowering their prices now?!?!
    You guys are making my brain hurt!!!

18. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

+1 I sure don't mind seeing prices go back down. With this market, I think Gibson had to bring prices down a bit if they want to keep moving product. I still can't figure out how they sell some of those custom shop guitars though. I mean $4,000+ for a guitar is gotta limit the number of folks that can buy.

19. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

I still don't think the SG Standard is worth that much. Sure, they'll sell tons with these new prices, but it's really worth $900 or so. For Christ's sake, it's just a piece of Mahogany with two of Gibson's cheaper HBs. And don't get me started on the SG Fadeds going for $700 now...

20. sgSter

sgSter Member

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=19205.msg233141#msg233141 date=1242966630]
    I still don't think the SG Standard is worth that much. Sure, they'll sell tons with these new prices, but it's really worth $900 or so. For Christ's sake, it's just a piece of Mahogany with two of Gibson's cheaper HBs. And don't get me started on the SG Fadeds going for $700 now...
    [/quote]

i'm with you on this! prices need to come down a lot more to reach what i feel is a 'fair' price point.. fadeds at 700.. omg, what a joke... it's a 300.00 guitar imo (now, don't get in an uproar if you like your faded, they are good players but waaaaay over priced along with most guits on market today)

here is where the consumer has the power.. don't buy them until prices drastically drop.. heck 50% is a good start imo L O L