Love my G400 Pro, show me your SG’s

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by chrisoldroyd, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Fillypino Fried

Fillypino Fried Member

with the other pointy boys :D

IMG_20191127_163304.jpg

dub-setter likes this.
  2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

I got a cheap 2012 Epiphone SG Special.

Mahogany body and rosewood fretboard, a bit unsure of the wood used for the neck though, as it was listed as having a maple neck, but the 2011/2012 Epiphone catalog says mahogany was used for the necks, they might have changed that for maple for the 2012 production though, since there is only a shared 2011/2012 catalog, and the 2012 mate black with black hardware goth edition of the SG Special had a maple neck too (which I by the way kind of regret I didn't get instead, for strictly visual reasons), plus I have had the neck off, and it did look more like maple to me, seemed too light looking for being mahogany.

My main and only electric guitar, as I have focused mainly on playing bass for several years.

Though I just got back to focusing more on the first instrument I learned how to play, guitar, again.

Here it is, with some visual mods, plays and sounds great, despite the little money it costed:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    DrBGood likes this.
  3. ajolin13

ajolin13 New Member

Not Friday but here's my white girl with her friends....
    Screenshot_20191210-000901_Photos.jpg

musicman2242 and SGfan84 like this.
  4. st3v3ss

st3v3ss New Member

5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had a similar combo for a while.​

G400 Vintage - Gibson P94.jpg

6. Josef Antinucci

Josef Antinucci New Member

Hey everyone! FNG here! (Freakin' New Guy). I just purchased an Epiphone SG that looks to me like the G-400 Pro 1966 Custom Shop BUT... It doesn't have the custom chop sticker behind the head nor does it have the "PRO" on the truss cover. Just SG. The nut is black and not white, it has the batwing pickguard, no push/pull coil-tapping, and the tuners may have been the vintage style because the previous owner said he swapped them out for the grovers that are on it now. He had many guitars and got a few things confused an that may have been one of them. They could be the original tuner pegs or not.

Does anyone have any idea what I have? Photos attached with serial #. It's a Nov. 2005 model if that helps.

Thanks in advance!!

IMG_1405.jpeg IMG_1406.jpeg IMG_1407.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    musicman2242 and pancake81 like this.
  7. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

They did make a regular '66 G400, not sure what years though, but that's probably it.

Josef Antinucci likes this.
  8. Josef Antinucci

I thought that too but can not find anything on that model nor photos of it. It's like this one had its custom shop decal removed.

9. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

There's a bit of info about it on the Epi wiki, but I don't have the link handy.

10. DrBGood

http://www.epiphonewiki.org/index/SG.php#.2766_G-400

Yours must have gone pass the Custom Shop stamping station on a Friday afternoon.

11. Josef Antinucci

Ha! Yeah, that must have been it. Thanks for finding that. It is that guitar. I have searched for many days to just get more confused. I wish they had the dates of manufacturing on those models like all the rest. Thanks for taking the time!

12. DrBGood

13. joe419

joe419 New Member

I just got a set of P94s put in mine

20191211_095036.jpg 20191211_095049.jpg 20191213_153241.jpg

14. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

And a brand new, if slightly out of focus, photo of my lowly, but very much beloved, Epiphone SG Special, after I swapped out the 2 black chickenhead pot knobs I previously had it equipped with for respectively a green and a red one, as well as put a light yellow knob on the pickup selector switch, instead of the stock black one (and a small sticker attachment on the head stock, which I added after I took this photo, so it's PhotoShopped on in this image, but pretty much looks exactly like that in reality too):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  15. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

misslizziesm.jpg asmsd.jpg SGclsc.jpg smsgj.jpg Specs.jpg
    Current remuda from top left: 2005 SG Deluxe. 2003 G400 Vintage with All Parts Maestro and 57 Classics. 2006 SG Classic with Gibson Maestro. 2013 SGJ Tronical tuners.
    2003 SG Specials.

16. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper New Member

Here's mine. Just picked it up this week. Serial number lookup says it was made in China and is a 2004.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  17. DrBGood

18. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

I am strongly considering adding yet another visual mod to my Epiphone SG Special, namely printing this logo (in the ellipse) out in the right size and in high resolution, and on a relatively thick piece of paper, covering it with a thin layer of adhesive transparent film, and gluing it on the headstock between the two rows of tuners (I do have the image in a higher resolution bigger format as well):
    [​IMG]

Which would make it look something like this (PhotoShoped):
    [​IMG]

I don't usually name my instruments, even if I do tend to get pretty attached to them and have mains, but tried just for fun to come up with a fitting name for my Epiphone SG Special, and I think this one is a winner, says it all, really. :p

The name that first hit my mind though was "Epiphola Parroting", and while it definitely is sweeter, the one I went with, in the attached image, is more snappy and much more concise and on the point.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    RhinestoneStrat likes this.
  19. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

Sorry about the spam, no new visual mods since my last post in this thread, though I did upgrade the pickups, but as they look pretty much like the old stock ones there's not much of a real visual change.

I also dropped the idea about attaching a logo with the name I have given my SG, as I otherwise said in the above quoted post.

However I did edit the old photo I took, as I wasn't really satisfied with it, but couldn't be bothered with shooting a load of new ones and having to go through the process of picking out the right one and then editing it, and I manage to sharpen the old photo quite a bit, as it originally was slightly out of focus, also brightened it up, changed the hue of some of the colors slightly to make it match closer to how it looks in reality, as well as I managed to remove some of the blitz reflections around the lower part of the fretboard, finally I changed the color of the background as well, all in all, I think, making the picture look much better.

So just wanted to share the result:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2020