Love my gas guzzler, looking at electrics.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Biddlin, Feb 18, 2020.

?

Will you consider an EV or hybrid soon?

1. EV

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Hybrid

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. No

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Like all American baby-boomers I love V8 horsepower rear-wheel drive, neck snapping wheel spinning rubber burning 0-60 mph 3 second performance. I loved it more when the US population was less than 197 million souls, the world's was a scant 3.9 billion and petrol sold for 30 cents/US gallon. I wish I could honestly say my thoughts of abandoning it were based on a greater understanding of climate change, environmental impacts and compassion for my fellow human beings, but I am just being practical. The cost of operating my Lincoln Towncar is getting to be onerous on a fixed income and maintaining the ICE , oil changes and replacing parts takes more and more money. With most of the world outlawing ICEs by the end of the decade buying another one seems silly.
    A few months ago I drove a friends Tesla S and fell in love, but the sticker price ($70k) was daunting to say the least. There are now a much larger group of makes and models to choose from. some are attractively priced, but either too small for my needs or have a very short range between charging. The Kia Soul EV is very sporty, about $35k but only goes about 111 miles before it calls for Reddy Kilowatt. The Kia Niro (about $38k) Chevy Bolt and Hyundai Kona about $37k go more than twice that distance. The Tesla 3 gets about the same distance or a bit more, is a couple of thousand cheaper and has the (experince) edge. It also offers access to Tesla’s Supercharger network and free over-the-air software updates. because of my proximity to dealerships, the Tesla 3 and Kia Niro are tops on my list atm.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Note the Spartan appearance of the Tesla dashboard. Everything is done from the touch screen.
    If I had $75k to spend on an EV, the Jaguar I-pace would be a strong contender, but in my world one of these two will likely be in my garage later this year or next.

RhinestoneStrat likes this.
  2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

I'm in London, but I have a garage (I know, that makes me a lucky boy) and a few superchargers near me. So yes an electric car is on the agenda. Only issue to date is that the drive to visit my family is about 300 miles, and I definitely want a car that can cover that comfortably on one charge. We may be one generation of battery chemistry away from that right now.

Biddlin likes this.
  3. Biddlin

The top trim Tesla 3 and the Tesla X can cover that distance. The Tesla S can go almost 400. BTW the audio system in the two Teslas I've driven has been incredible, even better than the Lexus' Mark Levinson system.

4. donepearce

Thanks - I haven't been keeping up with Tesla. Love the cars, not so keen on the prices.

5. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

No, not yet. And as long as I can buy gas, I’ll keep at least one of my gassers. :D

6. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

I have a 2004 Jag S type. I will drive it until it dies, and I will buy another gas powered Jag when that happens.

arcticsg likes this.
  7. Biddlin

I must say I enjoy the performance of the Tesla. It has no gears and is virtually silent, so the only sound those around it hear is as it blows by them is "Whoosh". I really enjoy sneaking up on bicyclists obstructing a highway lane and then sounding the horn. @donepearce Think of the fun you could have with Cycling Mikey, vigilante traffic cop.

8. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

The Chevy volt is amazing. Fun to drive. Quick! And if you’re driving in a metro area....you can easily average 80 plus mpg.

And you can always run gas. The system is fantastic.

9. Biddlin

Yes, but really uncomfortable on longer drives. Also it only runs about 50 miles on a charge then you're burning petrol at a pretty fast clip, so on a trip from Sacramento to LA I'd really average about 30mpg or less. A survey of 1500 owners showed a real 75 mph mileage on gas at about 30mpg (US). Good cargo space with rear seats folded, though. I rented one for a gig and got 3 guitar cases 2 big combo amps and two suitcases in with plenty of room up front.

10. donepearce

I live in London. Cars obstruct the bikeway over here. Average driving speed in London is a little under 10MPH. My average cycling speed is about 20MPH. My general plan is that if I am going into town I cycle, out of town I drive.

11. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

My lady has a Volt. She rarely buys gas. Like 4 times a year for local travel.

Straight gas mpg is more like 45. But we don’t have mountains.

She uses it for 3-400 mile trips on the regular. So she gets gas for those. Small tank...maybe 10 gallons tops?

12. donepearce

The latest hybrid ad on TV here is for - I think - a Lexus. They are trying to make a feature of the fact that you can't plug it in to charge it. That makes it, in my book, purely petrol-powered and as much of a waste of time as a Toyota Pious.

13. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

We experimented with 2 different hybrids a while back ( both hondas ) it was maybe too early or maybe bad choices on my part selecting those.

An all electric at some point probably makes a lot of sense as one of our cars for local driving etc. Just not necessary to pull trigger at this point

I have to say my Honda 2018 Pilot AWD EXL gets not very good mileage ( the way I drive it like just above 20 mpg ) but it is the best vehicle and most fun to drive that I have ever had. Something like 330 hp I think and just a V6 no turbo but Honda makes great engines and it is pretty dang quick especially obviously with just a driver and no load ha ha ...

14. Biddlin

Isn't most of the world going all electric new car sales by 2035?

15. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

My step son's boyfriend has a 2020 Kia Soul EV. The range is vey good. They live about 80 km away and can easily drive here and back without a charge. It can snap your head back when accelerating. It also seems much bigger inside than it looks from the outside. My wife and I both have gas powered Kia Souls and love them but if I buy another car it will be an EV, probably a Soul. I have hit a point in my life where I doubt I'll buy another car so I'm stuck with gas.

16. donepearce

The UK is doing that by law.

17. Biddlin

[​IMG]
    My friend Dan is a Tesla sales guy. He worked for me once a long time ago and I gave him a deal on my old BSA 650. A couple of years ago we hooked up again and he gave me my first taste of Tesla with a ride up to Lake Tahoe in his S type. I'm going to test drive a pre-owned 3 today, doing him a favor by returning it to Walnut Creek and no doubt getting a sales pitch while I'm there. I'll let you know how it goes.

18. Biddlin

Wow, I didn't buy one, but I enjoyed the drive to Walnut Creek in the 2019 3. I didn't think the blank dashboard and 15" touch screen would bug me, but it did at first, less so as I got into the drive and after finding my favorite FM station. A better ride you couldn't ask for, firm enough to feel the road but not Subaru bruising hard. Entering the freeway, I ran up to 70 MPH on about 5 seconds from the on-ramp staging light. Brakes were also good but take a little getting used to since there is no transmission e.g. no "engine compression braking." At the Walnut Creek dealership, I got a friendly reception and tour, no hardcore sales but they did encourage me to check out any model I liked and gave me first rate coffee and an apple fritter. The ride home was in a new model S and the performance is slot car like. I remain very impressed by these cars.