Ltd Ed Tony Iommi Signature SG Custom Production Run Questions

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by WytchCrypt, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Oh man I love the Cali jam gig! I love that the whole thing is on YouTube now! I was just amazed when I saw that crowd!! There’s a good sabbath story around that whole gig in case you don’t know it, well worth looking up!
    Don Kirschner’s rock concert, now that is a f#*#ing show! One of the rare videos of them playing Killing Yourself To Live, one of my all time sabbath faves! Love it!
    Sadly I’m not old enough to have witnessed these events live. But I did get to see sabbath on their first full reunion in 1998, again with Appice on drums at the Ozzfest, and with Dio and Appice as Heaven and Hell a year before Ronnie died. That last one was incredible, they played most of Dehumanizer which is one of my fave sabbath albums!
    And I met Geezer backstage at one of his own band’s gigs in London. He was so nice!

Worblehat and WytchCrypt like this.
  2. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

That's very cool that you got to see them several times in their history...I never did see them. In '78 I had a chance but couldn't get a ride as none of my friends were into Sabbath. In 2015 they were playing the Tacoma Dome which is only an hour away. I looked at the ticket website and the show was pretty much sold out except a special $3000 package which included front row seats, limo ride to the arena, a bunch of goodies, and a 1 hour pre-concert hangout with Ozzy. Now, $3000 is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on one night...but...if the hangout would have been with Tony, I just might have pulled that trigger! The chance to hangout with the guy who inspired me to play guitar when I was 14 and then inspired me to beat cancer at 54 would have been too hard to turn down. I dig Ozzy as much as any other Sabbath fanatic...but for me Tony has always been THE MAN!

Anyway, I obviously passed but as you said isn't it amazing that the Cal Jam & Kirschner footage is on youtube??? Also there's a '78 show from the Never Say Die tour at:

Tony, Geezer & Bill are in fine form, though Ozzy's performance is pretty rough in places. But hey, I'm not complaining about the chance to experience the concert I missed in '78 :dude:

Grizzlyman likes this.
  3. JCarno

JCarno Active Member

WytchCrypt likes this.
  4. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

Always good to see young players heading in the right direction :dude:

JCarno likes this.
  5. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

Grizzlyman and WytchCrypt like this.
  6. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

I have to Ask you grizzlyman.is you a big mad Max fan??you dont collect the autoart cars?

Grizzlyman likes this.
  7. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

That looks suspiciously like the pickguard on the new Gibson Iommi Monkey...but it couldn't be, could it :dude:

8. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

I love me some Max Rockatansky! But it was mainly in reference to my leg injury, he has the leg brace in the pic! Not heard of the auto art cars, what are they? My sister organises a Mad Max themed festival near Oxford in England called The Road to Ruin, kinda like a poor man’s Burning Man, loads of apocalyptic style vehicles, but not as cool as the US or Aussie ones! Not many V8s here in Blighty!!

9. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Active Member

Just don't get the optional Iommi finger modifications ;-)

Grizzlyman likes this.
  10. ChubbyFingers

People paint up old bangers and or cover then in anything from beer cans to cuddly toys as a form of "art". Most look totally half-arsed and ridiculous at the same time.

Grizzlyman likes this.
  11. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Oh ok, I get it. In that case I’m not into auto art cars, my car is just an old banger, not painted up or adorned with accessories, just an honest banger!

12. ChubbyFingers

I saw Black Sabbath live at the Reading Rock Festival (England) in 1983.

Ozzy had long since left by then, of course, and Ian Gillan was fronting for them that year. Stupid styrofoam Stonehenge set (when we were probably only about 80 miles from the real one) and Gillan's bloody bongo drums did not go down at all well with the crowd. With Ozzy gone it's a real shame they couldn't have made it stick with Dio, or perhaps Graham Bonnet instead IMHO.

Grizzlyman likes this.
  13. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Yeah that was a pretty widely acknowledged ‘weird’ sabbath time haha! Ozzy (Sharon) really screwed Iommi over, only allowing the reunion to happen if Iommi agreed not to use the Sabbath name for anything without Ozzy. Hence the ‘Heaven and Hell’ album The Devil You Know. Such a shame, Iommi couldn’t keep Sabbath going with anyone else now, not even get Tony Martin back and call it Sabbath. And now Ozzy has had his reunion and got control of the name he’s no longer interested and has even gone on record dissing Tony.
    Funny how it goes...

WytchCrypt likes this.
  14. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

That really sucks, if it wasn't for Tony keeping the band going all those years there wouldn't have been a reunion for Ozzy/Sharon to manipulate the naming rights to. Tony has proven over many years there can be a Sabbath without Ozzy and to me he deserves the right to do whatever he wants under that name!

Grizzlyman likes this.
  15. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

I wish it was the gibson but you are close really close

Grizzlyman and WytchCrypt like this.
  16. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

Ok well its cool reference.no auto art is a company making 1/18 cars.they did make some sweet replicas of the black on black from the first and second movie.you shoued Google it.i know its not the real deal but Ford falcon are a rare bread and pricey so it was a great compremise to Get my favoritt car off all times.cool i have not heard off it but gone see wath i find online.

Grizzlyman likes this.
  17. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

In that case I'll go with my second choice...it also looks a lot like the pickguard off a JayDee Tony Iommi SG Standard ;)

Grizzlyman likes this.
  18. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

I am a big iommi fan but no that is to mutch so no worrys i will not chop my finger tips off

WytchCrypt and Grizzlyman like this.
  19. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

20. ChubbyFingers

Ozzy's past it but wont admit it (or Sharon wants to keep milking him till he drops down dead) and Bill Ward has retired due to health.

I think if Iommi was to put together a supergroup with Geezer Butler, a decent keyboard player, rythm guitarist, drummer and of course a singer (Bonnet or Coverdale?) of the era they could get a couple of decent tour seasons going, but I don't think any of them really need the money that bad.

WytchCrypt and Grizzlyman like this.