Ltd Ed Tony Iommi Signature SG Custom Production Run Questions

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by WytchCrypt, Mar 24, 2020.

1. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

I'm pretty sure I got one of the last available right handed Mk2's in the US back in March. The only place I could find one is Sam Ash Music and now they're out of stock along with every other online retailer I know of. OTOH, both Sam Ash and Sweetwater currently show left handed Mk2's in stock right now. If you're not averse to pulling a "Hendrix" and flipping it upside down (or I guess I could also say an "Iommi" as he did with the right handed SG he used on the first Sabbath album) you could always go that route. Honestly, that could be the only way you'll get a brand new Mk2.

Obviously I can't say for sure, but in many other Epi Iommi threads that I've started or commented on there appears to be real questions on whether they're going to order another production run of the Mk2 or not. IMHO, with Gibson releasing the new super limited edition $20,000 Monkey signature, I wouldn't be completely surprised if Epi ends the Mk2 production run and introduces a lower priced Monkey Iommi signature.

Grizzlyman likes this.
  2. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Hey Wytch, that’s really kind of you to say, thank you!!
    Haha, yeah that into the void clip is from our first gig as the sabbath tribute band back in 2009! Our singer was in the USA on holiday when we had our first gig, so I had to step in! Luckily it was a multi band gig, so we only had to play 40 minutes, I could only sing and play about half the songs in our set, my voice won’t go high enough to do Symptom of the Universe or Killing Yourself to Live etc...
    Haha, yes the drummer is my best friend, I’ve been playing live with him (not exclusively) since about 2000. He’s also a kick ass guitar player, and screamer! I was literally having a FaceTime session with him last night over way too many beers! Feeling a bit delicate this morning, even 3 espressos haven’t fixed me!

WytchCrypt likes this.
  3. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

That drummer actually played drums for Lauren (daughter of Steve) Harris! He got to play in front of many thousands of people on a world tour with Maiden!!

WytchCrypt likes this.
  4. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

I hear that. Just trying to sing along with Symptom of the Universe is brutal! I bet Ozzy wished Tony would have written that riff down in C# rather than E :rofl:

Grizzlyman likes this.
  5. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

Wow! If you can't take Nicko's place and join Maiden, that sounds like the next best thing and a dream come true :dude:

6. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Active Member

It's on record in many places that Butler wrote most of the lyrics to the "classic" Sabbath numbers.

Words can get one copyright, music another. Bands are, of course, entitled to copyright them jointly or to credit words to one party, music to (an)other(s), or they may choose to say they're all equal. Yeah right. Hence all the legal battles over the years as to who owns what (or who gets the royalties from what) when the bands break up.

There's other ways of divvying up the money also. A publishing company owned by the band, with each band member owning a stake, be that an equal one or not.

Another example: Steve Harris of Iron Maiden. Not only did he found the band, but I think he owns the name and the logo and the rights to "The Ed". He also wrote most of the songs, certainly up to and including Number of The Beast. Hence, up to that point, he probably gets most of the cash. What the contracts between him and the other band members are, I have no idea, and no wish to know (it's not my business).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_Iron_Maiden

Second example: when Don Henley and Glen Frey decided to resuscitate The Eagles, they did so on a basis, um, quite friendly to themselves, arguing rightly or wrongly that it had been those to keeping the band on life support in between. The other band members got much smaller shares. I do not know, but it wouldn't surprise me if Henley and Frey took 25 or 30% each and divided up the other 50 or 40% between the other band members.

Third, more egalitarian example. When Freddie Mercury rejoined Queen after his two disasterous solo albums, the band split everything after that point four equal ways.

WytchCrypt likes this.
  7. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

I don't know, I recently watched the Eagles episode of "Breaking Up the Band" and I'm inclined to believe Frey & Henley each took 45% and split the remaining 10% among the lesser Eagles :rofl:

Grizzlyman likes this.
  8. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Active Member

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

WytchCrypt likes this.
  9. JCarno

JCarno Active Member

WytchCrypt likes this.
  10. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

I give them a 10 for enthusiasm and if you're going to cover Sabbath you might as well choose their greatest song :dude:

Grizzlyman and JCarno like this.
  11. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

I not rember if this was the right tread where people did say the epi iommi custom did not have the gibson iommi pickup but here are some pic showing the iommi buckers from 2004/5 and 2015 and 2020.they do look the same building wise the only diffrence i see it that the older model got diffrent sticker and more epoxy but i guess that will be diffrent from pickup from pickup because the bridge pickup from my 2020 model got almost the same AS my old one.all pickup In this pic are from the neck.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  12. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

If i rember correct so did black sabbath In the 70’s split everything on 4 so all did Get the same payment.and geezer did not Get extra fore writing or Tony fore produsing etc.

13. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

My latest purshases.i think i am set now with shaller bridges.unless i can find some black crome one.i got a mint crome 456 if i can Get my hands on a second epi ti custom to make a old boy tribute and a badass if i Get my finger out and make a jb replica.or if i can Get two to make one a jaydee tribute and one jb tribute wath do think about that??

14. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

Sounds like some cool projects...and you did such a great job with your Monkey tribute I bet these turn out great also :dude:

15. Werner Moser

Werner Moser New Member

RE: ... June 2019 build at the Qingdao factory just like mine, but build number 39,662! Looks like this limited edition of 2,000 is about to hit 40,000!!!

I got mine a few days ago ... without any certificate (well, the little black folder came without content). Working on getting the certificate from Gibson/Epiphone ...

But I really get confused by the serial numbers- mine was built in February 2020 in Qingdao ... but the serial number is 36xxx (so lower than a guitar built 8 month earlier). Is the number associated with the neck only - not with the whole guitar?

WytchCrypt likes this.
  16. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

I believe it was this thread or another Iommi SG thread of mine where we determined the build number doesn't mean the total number of Iommi Ltd Ed SG's that were built, but either the total number of Epi's built at that factory in the calendar year, or the total number of Epi's built at that factory in some other time frame (perhaps fiscal year?). Either way, the serial numbers remain a bit of a mystery ;)

Congrats on getting your Iommi, hope you love it as much as myself and the other members of the forum do :dude:

17. Werner Moser

Werner Moser New Member

Thanks for the feedback - will search for the serial number mystery in other threads.

And yes - I really like the guitar and hope to enjoy it for many years