made in japan SG - unknown - looking to idenfity

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by derekirving, Aug 30, 2017.

1. derekirving

derekirving New Member

I picked up this unknown "made in japan" SG for $99 (tag said 80's but the store could have guessed). The action was super high and the guitar was unplayable ( the previous owner must have used it for slide). I thought the guitar had potential so I picked it up. After a good setup and new nut it plays, sounds and feels pretty good. The pickups are very clear sounding for humbuckers. Neck is around 7.8k and Bridge is around 8.1k.

I'm wondering if anyone can help identify the guitar. There is NO name on the headstock and the top of the headstock is almost exactly like a gibson. It's cut off in the photo but I think it's called mustache / open book headstock. It's a bolt on neck with "made in japan" on neck plate. The knobs seem diff than typical gibson style knobs and there is some writing (CHION) on the pots. (tone pots are 1000k)

Here are a few pictures.

p.s. I have not removed the pickguard yet. Hoping the knobs are identifiable.

IMG_2838.jpg
    IMG_2842.jpg

2. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

It kind if reminds me of a Lyle guitar. I have one.

3. vonserke

vonserke Active Member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  4. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

Here's a Lyle with a different pickguard type. They vary:

images(14).jpg

It's hard to tell for sure. There maybe hidden markings possibly in the neck pocket. Sears sold a ton of Japanese guitars for years.

5. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

I've never seen a knob alignment like this on a SG.....:hmm:

6. LDS

LDS Member

The wiring and switch sort of remind me of an Aria.

7. Joebe

Joebe New Member

8. Joebe

Joebe New Member

looks like my 1973 Carlo Robelli SG made in Japan

Attached Files:

9. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

I have no idea, but I would say the way to track it down is to find another guitar with the same truss rod cover.....that seems pretty"different". I suspect 80's or even early 90's. Screw heads on the bridge seem Epiphony, Samicky to me. Could even be Korean. Good luck.

10. Rox

Rox Active Member

That truss rod cover I've seen on an Aria Acoustic from the 1970s. Aria was a brand name and used lots of different manufacturers, so it's not hugely helpful but may help narrow down your search. It was like this one, but 'plain'

[​IMG]

11. Rox

Rox Active Member

12. Rox

Rox Active Member

I hope this helps:

Pre-Aria Pro II models had these truss rod covers (you can see it on these 335 copies and basses on the site below). So it's an unbranded version of whoever manufactured the earliest Aria guitars.

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/aria/aria.html

From Wikipedia:

Aria was formed in Japan in 1956 by Shiro Arai as "Arai & Co., Inc".

They began retailing acoustic guitars in 1960, although the company did not start manufacturing their own until 1964. Aria arranged for Matsumoku, the musical instrument maker, to build the guitars for them under contract. Arai and Matsumoku started building acoustic guitars in 1964, and then electric guitars in 1966, using Arai, Aria, Aria Diamond, Diamond, and much less frequently, Arita brand names. The Aria brandname was changed to Aria Pro II in late 1975.

13. warmachine

warmachine Member

I hate that I recognize that rectangular shaped bridge from another copy era guitar but cant remember the name. Rythmline, Norma, National. Some off brand. That control layout though is a first. Never seen that before.