Made to measure vs Signature model

pancake81

Reaction score
So with current prices on things like the Angus Young Model andTony Iommi Monkey being just out of this world, I got thinking. Would Gibson build you an exact model of a out of production signature model for substantially less than what reverb is asking? I get that it wouldn’t be considered “part of the signature release or serial etc”. But if I have them the exact specs as the Iommi monkey (or choose your rare discontinued guitar), would they build it?

Spiral

Reaction score
No, because Gibson USA doesn't do custom builds - so it'll have to be a M2M Custom Shop. Anything non production, has to go through the Custom Shop, which automatically doubles the price.

pancake81

Reaction score
No, because Gibson USA doesn't do custom builds - so it'll have to be a M2M Custom Shop. Anything non production, has to go through the Custom Shop, which automatically doubles the price.

Totally understand, and I took that into consideration. But for these guitars that are asking 30-$40,000, surely the custom shop would come in under that. No…?

MR D

Reaction score
So with current prices on things like the Angus Young Model andTony Iommi Monkey being just out of this world, I got thinking. Would Gibson build you an exact model of a out of production signature model for substantially less than what reverb is asking? I get that it wouldn’t be considered “part of the signature release or serial etc”. But if I have them the exact specs as the Iommi monkey (or choose your rare discontinued guitar), would they build it?

GIBSON's Made 2 Measure program will build a guitar to whatever specs you present to them. As a suggestion: I would leave out the particular guitar you want copied, give them the specs only. I actually approached them with an idea, and it was beyond pretty costly, to say the least. An Astronomical price is what I thought at the time, 2011. That said, if you have the CA$H I KNOW GIBSON will build you a Fantastic 100% A-1 Made-2-Measure guitar. GIBSON doesn't fool around and I can say that is a definite certainty. AYK GIBSON has Best-in-Class Master Guitar Builders ready to go 24/7. True World Class Luthiers.
It will also most certainly cost you. I'm thinkin Black Market Kidney or Eye Retina ($7-8 Grand, ?, in S E Asia) type prices. BUT IDK 4 sure, call them/e-mail the specs, cant hurt....
I passed on their M-2-M price, and waited 7 years for them to build the Custom Shop Guitar I wanted........ and @ just under $4G's it was worth the wait. I got the exact spec'd guitar I wanted. Of course I cant upload the pic I selected, FFS !

pancake81

Reaction score
GIBSON's Made 2 Measure program will build a guitar to whatever specs you present to them. As a suggestion: I would leave out the particular guitar you want copied, give them the specs only. I actually approached them with an idea, and it was beyond pretty costly, to say the least. An Astronomical price is what I thought at the time, 2011. That said, if you have the CA$H I KNOW GIBSON will build you a Fantastic 100% A-1 Made-2-Measure guitar. GIBSON doesn't fool around and I can say that is a definite certainty. AYK GIBSON has Best-in-Class Master Guitar Builders ready to go 24/7. True World Class Luthiers.
It will also most certainly cost you. I'm thinkin Black Market Kidney or Eye Retina ($7-8 Grand, ?, in S E Asia) type prices. BUT IDK 4 sure, call them/e-mail the specs, cant hurt....
I passed on their M-2-M price, and waited 7 years for them to build the Custom Shop Guitar I wanted........ and @ just under $4G's it was worth the wait. I got the exact spec'd guitar I wanted. Of course I cant upload the pic I selected, FFS !

Good response Mr. D.

I do not have a guitar I want built, I already own my dream SG's :) It was more just the perspective that some of these limited run models are going for obsurd amount money. $40,000 for an Angus SG is nuts! So I was curious if you think Gibson would build that exact guitar for you and give it a CS serial number. Even at $10-15,000 thats a huge cost savings.

Just conversation is all :)

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score

pancake81

Reaction score
:DThanks Dude,

I should have been more clear. I am not looking to buy or have a M2M built, but simply the hypothetical question. I am, in my opinion, one of the luckiest buggers Alive to have had the opportunity (and means) to buy one of the Custom Shop versions in 2009 when they were released.

My hypothetical question was revolving around “would Gibson build an exact copy of the previously released limited run signature models”? Or would they say no, that was a special limited run and we will not reproduce you another one.

The question stems from pricing. Folks are asking North of $40,000 for some models on the used market; including the AY Custom and the Iommi Custom. The M2M, should Gibson build it, wouldn’t have the collector value of the original limited run. But not everyone cares about that (just a nice added bonus). Many folks just want the exact replica of the idol guitar.

If the M2M shop charged $10,000 for another example of limited run (AY/Iommi) folks could acquire the guitar and save a bundle from the used market prices.

just throwing it out there for Discussion.

My #1

Spiral

Reaction score
Oh you're referring to the Iommi Custom Shop, and not the recent USA version. I get ya now.

That would be interesting, and quite sly of you :D

I'd rather wait for a JayDee myself.

MR D

Reaction score
Good response Mr. D.

I do not have a guitar I want built, I already own my dream SG's :) It was more just the perspective that some of these limited run models are going for obsurd amount money. $40,000 for an Angus SG is nuts! So I was %@ eht htiw ereht gnihtemos otno eb thgimUif you think Gibson would build that exact guitar for you and give it a CS serial number. Even at $10-15,000 thats a huge cost savings.

Just conversation is all :)

U could be onto something there, H.S. that is HUGE !

that AY SG you posted is sharp, WOWO! Did it come with the Pickup mounting Ring? I'm thinkin it did as its an AY Model and ANGUS does that to his Batwing SG's..

Your serial# question is a good one. I hav no idea if M-2-M Guitar's have a Custom Shop 'CS' serial#.......actual Great question there.

I tried to post the picture of the Axe I waited for, '19 Les Paul CUSTOM Zzounds/CME 'Exclusive'. A regular Custom-Shop production model, but w/'68 Lester CUSTOM Re-Issue Specs......I waited 7 pretty long yrs. for 'REX' (Guitar has practically maimed my left hand, neck is a Log/Rock w/Ebony FB/MOP's) the pic file is too big, maybe later. In 2012 and thru 2018 Regular Custom-Shop Lester's had Richlite/490's... and for $5G's? Nah, I Passed ! So, @ >$4G's, 'REX' was well worth waiting for, $2400 less than the '68 RI and only difference from the '68 RI is 9 Hole weight Relief and the uncovered Custom-Bucker P-Up's. Patience. '68 LP Custom RI , all-in=$6,300 +/-, its almost ridiculous. OK, it is.....

As you obviously know, with prices the way they are, Players have to pick their shots and really know what they are looking for....unless they're 'Deep Pocket' types.

Last edited:

Latest posts