Maestro Tuning Stability and Tone

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by hardrockerdave94, Jan 23, 2021.

1. hardrockerdave94

hardrockerdave94 New Member

Hi! As a project last year I ‘converted’ a black SG standard into a sort of poor man’s custom. Swapped all the hardware for gold, put witch hats on it and swapped for P90s
    I’ve been thinking I want to put a gold maestro tailpiece on it to finish it off

I’m not planning on actually using the whammy bar, it’s purely a cosmetic upgrade, so I’m just wondering if anyone on here has any experience on whether the tuning stability is compromised just for having it on the guitar and not using it?

And anyone that’s done this swap, did you notice a difference in sound?

If it’s going to be more trouble than it’s worth then I’ll probably just stick the plate on, like on the derek trucks SG

Thanks, David

2. Derald

Derald Member

I put a cosmetic maestro vibrola on my SG because i love the way it looks. It’s still a hard tail just with the vibrola hardware minus the wiggle stick. Looks cool, stays in tune. No change to the tone. Might have added a few ounces to the weight.

3. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Plenty of times and there's no difference. But if you insist on not using it then there's really no reason to put more than that lyre ting on.