Maestro Vibrola with or without ! help me pick

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by hippydude22, Feb 6, 2021.

1. hippydude22

hippydude22 New Member

I am getting a new Gibson sg standard 61' but with or without the Maestro Vibrola? you would think this is an easy question to answer , the truth is i probably wouldnt use it that much if any , but i like the look of the sg with that Maestro on the guitar i think it looks cool , Its a hard call i have heard people taking about tuning problems and bridge movement when using it , just wondering what other people would get if they had the choice or what they think i should get .

2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Member

With! It's not a Floyd Rose, but if you treat it gently for warble it's the best trem out there.

3. fuzbuzz78

fuzbuzz78 Member

Maestro’s are amazing! Buy the SG with the maestro and pay a good luthier to get the nut dialed in. I have zero tuning issues, and I use vibrato a lot! Hell, even if you don’t go with the non maestro version, have a luthier dress the nut!

PermissionToLand likes this.
  4. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

I would probably get it with the Maestro as well, it would be something new, and they do look fantastic. I already have several hard tails, plus both the Strat and Jazzmaster systems. As for tuning stability, while there are some additional considerations during set up with any vibrato system, it is not rocket science for someone reasonably familiar with how the thing works. If they were truly "impossible to keep in tune" as some would have us believe they would have gone to the dustbin of musical history 50 or more years ago. Properly set up they will stay in tune just fine.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  5. JH1968

JH1968 Member

I’ve played some vintage Gibson’s with a Maestro and it just got in the way. The Maestro did stay reasonably in tune which surprised me.

6. hippydude22

hippydude22 New Member

I have took a long hard think about it and i am getting the sg 61 without the Maestro , After looking at some utube reviews it seems the abr1 bridge moves when using the maestro, I think for a guitar at this price i wouldn't want to have to go straight out and find mods to solve a problem that shouldn't be there. it might not be a problem for some but the abr1 moving straight out the box to me is a deal breaker. The only down side is the look but i think i can live with that as long as i am playing it and not looking at it .

7. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Well, if you don't think you'll use it then it's pretty much case closed. If you are however it's the simplest and best trem ever invented. People that post about problems with it will inevitable learn that those problems stem from other issues than the Vibrola itself.

8. fuzbuzz78

fuzbuzz78 Member

Having a nut dressed on a new guitar is not a mod. It’s something everyone who buys a new guitar should at least look at, and possibly do. Otherwise you’ll get the guitar, complain that it doesn’t stay in tune, which kicks off a new thread on a guitar forum about how people spend X amount of $ and they expect the guitar to come ready to play... quality control this, Gibson sucks to that.... so then they all recommended that you need locking tuners, and to grease every part on the guitar, and the next thing you know, you have tuner mods, grease mods, and a guitar that’s still not holding tune, and still needs to have a nut job! Wheeeewww... sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.

best of luck!

cheers!

9. Von Trapp

Actually in almost all threads here on that topic people will recommend looking into the nut first. You must confuse this site with mylespaul.com or some other place where muppets and amateurs hang out...

Bad Penguin and fuzbuzz78 like this.
  10. hippydude22

hippydude22 New Member

i agree the trem is not the problem for me , but the abr 1 bridge it moves when using the trem , I found a few videos on utube here is one video it shows the bridge moving , again might not be a problem for some but i like my bridge still as a rock lol . The NEW '61 SG | 2019 Gibson SG Standard Maestro Vibrola | In-Depth Review + Demo - YouTube 18.23

11. Von Trapp

Yeah, I figured that's the one you saw. That guy spends his time unpacking guitars and playing them once (+ has an irritating way of voicing his videos) but none of the problems there seem serious enough not to be fixed pretty easily. I've mounted several vibrolas and constantly play them, violently I might add, and I'm here to testify that there just isn't anything better. I've read and watched plenty on the subject and I've yet to see or hear anything about abr bridges breaking or coming lose on account of the trem. I do however think one can make a case for why trem guitars should come with a roller bridge because it seriously makes no sense that they don't. And yeah, perhaps they shouldn't have an abr bridge either then. I do understand your concern and if the thing moves with a roller bridge as well, then yes, the whole construction is just stupid.

Lynurd Fireburd likes this.
  12. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

i got curious, so i tried it on my 2000 61RI with maestro...the bridge definitely doesnt move like in that video...

13. hippydude22

hippydude22 New Member

That's good to hear i think Gibson got cheap on the Bridge in this one i have seen other videos with the same thing happening, From what i Know the Bridge says it is a Abr 1 but its not an original abr 1, Gibson have made a different version for this 61 , I guess if you could find a replacement bridge like a drop in roller Bridge it would probably solve this, but to me you pay that much money for a guitar the bridge shouldn't be wobbling when using the trem from out the box. Its a shame for me because i was going to get it but now getting it with the tailpiece locked, If Gibson ever make one where they solve this i will be the first to get one.

14. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

The Maestro's are nice, and easy to put out of the way if you don't wanna use it. Mine's on a Special, but stays in tune really well. As mentioned above, bridges can move around a lot, so I put some Faber locking nuts on (very quick and easy), so it's now rock solid. Faber also do a locking bridge for a Standard with ABR.

15. Von Trapp

Perhaps you can haggle with the store and make them throw in a complimentary roller bridge?

16. hippydude22

hippydude22 New Member

I could try that !, at the moment there is no stock on any of the Sg Gibson 61 in the uk , so i am going to have to wait and i hate waiting , One shop i have in mind have the sg Gibson maestro 61 for £1,649.00 not sure if this is just a pre order price because other shops have it for £1,799.00 , and and the sg standard 61 without maestro is at £1,599.00 not much difference in price between the two .

17. Von Trapp

For that kind of money: roller bridge included! Small cost for them, I'd say.

18. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

Troglys a bit of a doofus. I watch his vids because.... guitars. His narration and knowledge doesnt really garner any wisdom imo.

Also, that SG he's showing off has an issue that we've discussed here. The comb angle on that Maestro is wonky. That's usually found in the import knock offs but has found it's way on to Gibsons. I had an import that sits like that. I also had another import comb that I swapped it for. Problem solved.

As everyone mentioned, a knowledgable tech or luthier will set one up and it'll work great for what it's intended. They can take some abuse too. Plenty of vids of players going to town on 'em.

Herbie74w and fuzbuzz78 like this.
  19. Anthony Tauchen

Anthony Tauchen New Member

Get the maestro. Place a quality tuner in your rig, it’s not a big deal. I have enough Les Pauls w fixed bridges, I regret not going trem on my SG just to mix it up...next guitar!

20. JackStraw

JackStraw Member

Maestro, you lucky bastard!!