Maiden Post at the forum: Which one do I go for?

papagayo

Reaction score
Great info, many thanks! I actually think the more rounded neck will feel better for me. but that heavy grovers are scary

If you like rounded neck look at a 2010,2011 and 2012 SG Standard, guitar made these years has a medium C neck profile. I' ve got a nice 2012 SG Std Limited Edition but I prefer a slim taper, I will sell this baby.

Maguchi

Reaction score
Hello Fellow SG forum friends:

Hi dear SG gurus, I have been a Les Paul guy forever, but recently got bit by the SG bug REALLY REALLY badly.
And I realize this is probably the time for my first SG.

and of course immediately, I ran into GAS dilemmas:
Gibson USA

61SG and SG standard

I don't know which one to choose?!
please hear me out:

I don't like neck dive, I play standing up - I can't stand it for neck dive
this made me think the 61 is better? thinner neck and lighter Tunner machine?

But I don't like the 61SG pickups from Gibson, the 61R 61T? they have them in LP 60s and I really didn't like them, I like the PAF style pickups that weak and dynamic, also I prefer C shape(rounded) neck than the slim taper-
so I don't know what to do here....

any thoughts?

THANK YOU !
Neck dive varies from guitar to guitar as different pieces of wood can weigh more or less. Check them out in person and go for the one with the least neck dive and neck shape you like. As @Go Nigel Go says, neck dive can be tamed with a grippy strap. I use and am very happy with Comfort Strapps which is made of grippy, stretchy neoprene and some kind of fabric. Comes in basic black, So matches everything.

ComfortStrapp.jpg ComfortStrapp1.jpg ComfortStrapp2.jpg

Last edited:

peiyuanchao

Reaction score
Neck dive varies from guitar to guitar as different pieces of wood can weigh more or less. Check them out in person and go for the one with the least neck dive and neck shape you like. As @Go Nigel Go says, neck dive can be tamed with a grippy strap. I use and am very happy with Comfort Strapps which is made of grippy, stretchy neoprene and some kind of fabric. Comes in basic black, So matches everything.
I am ready to make a trip to a local music store now - need to feel for it, and thanks for your insight on the strap!
will check it out

Alanbama

Reaction score
I am ready to make a trip to a local music store now - need to feel for it, and thanks for your insight on the strap!
will check it out
Oh, by the way, I moved the strap button on the back of the neck of my SG’s to the upper bout tip and it made a tremendous difference in playability and balance for me. A lot of folks here kinda scoffed at me for it but I’m very happy with it. Just for your information. 8CDCB6A3-EF2F-4AEC-A26A-B3519438791B.jpeg

madhermit

Reaction score
Nice, they have a pearloid replacement buttons even for Grover Rotomatics?
My 2018 has locking Grovers and the D04 tulip buttons fit on perfectly.

Stock buttons are in this picture. I think they are called kidney buttons?
t1M6KRi.jpg

It weighs in at 6.58 lbs now

peiyuanchao

Reaction score
*UPDATE*

For all you good friendly SG forum people that kindly shared insights and suggestions, I want to thank you and provide an update:

NGD!
Today officially a proud SG owner!
I went to my local music shop Chuck Levins and it happen to be that they just got some SGs in include Standards and 61s.
I was lucky enough to choose THE ONE from 5 different brand new SGs (2 standard and 3 -61s)
Kind store staff Paul (who has been at Chuck Levins for over 40 years) let me play each one of them get the feel of the neck and every other detail
I also brought the most slick nylon strap with me and see which would have the least amount of neck dive,

Winner is here and finally entered the collection.
NGD!
IMG_2778.jpg
IMG_2779.jpg IMG_2781.jpg
IMG_2782.jpg

peiyuanchao

Reaction score
It is light!! the lightest among the bunch!
For a Les Paul guy that all guitar range 8-10 lbs this one only weighs 6lbs 6oz - light as a feather to me.
and with my slickest strap, it almost have ZERO neck dive.
I was really surprised, I thought I would be taking a heavy one for less neck dive, it was the opposite!
all the other 4 guitar had neck dives, and the two standard dived like it's free fall. lol

It has the text book vibrant cherry, the "reddest" of all I really like the finish.
finish varied a lot! some are almost brown to me, not cherry.

It also acoustically loudest among these five I tested, and have the darkest fretboard out of the box
plugged in, sounds really really good!
I did not like 61RT pickups on the Les paul, But it sounded killer on the SG, I played some old riffs and immediately I realized SG IS AWESOME!!!
it is easy to play, it does not "fight back" on double bends or anything, action is super good.

I am so happy I found this one! literally everything clicked for me. this never happen on a Gibson Guitar!!
This may be the best guitar shopping experience!

Thank you!!!

papagayo

Reaction score
Neck dive is a myth, if your SG is a Gibson with light weight tuners, no neck dive issue.
If you install a set a locking Grover tuners, may be you will have neck dive problem... My 2015 SG had GForce tuners, it was really unbalanced, horrible! I installed a set of KLUSON Revolution and now my SG is perfect plus high ratio and very smooth knobs.
Some people use Grover tuners with plastic buttons, that' s a fine solution, like the new 3x3 Grover 102CK.

Temp 48115.JPG

@ peiyuanchao,
Your new SG Standard '61 have a nice cherry finish, not this washed orange. Is it true or is it the picture ?
Now you need a nice wide bevel pickguard... 😻

SG Standard TBK 263.jpg

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
*UPDATE*

For all you good friendly SG forum people that kindly shared insights and suggestions, I want to thank you and provide an update:

NGD!
Today officially a proud SG owner!
I went to my local music shop Chuck Levins and it happen to be that they just got some SGs in include Standards and 61s.
I was lucky enough to choose THE ONE from 5 different brand new SGs (2 standard and 3 -61s)
Kind store staff Paul (who has been at Chuck Levins for over 40 years) let me play each one of them get the feel of the neck and every other detail
I also brought the most slick nylon strap with me and see which would have the least amount of neck dive,

Winner is here and finally entered the collection.
NGD!
View attachment 49212
View attachment 49213 View attachment 49214
View attachment 49215
CONGRATULATIONS ! HAPPY NGD !

Altho many don't think it matters I always listen to how a guitar sounds un-plugged.....A GUITAR HAS TO ACOUSTICALLY "RING", IMO !!! I consider this paramount......almost above all else....almost ! the entire package does have to be considered in the end.

ROCK THAT BAD-A$$ !!!

peiyuanchao

Reaction score
Neck dive is a myth, if your SG is a Gibson with light weight tuners, no neck dive issue.
If you install a set a locking Grover tuners, may be you will have neck dive problem... My 2015 SG had GForce tuners, it was really unbalanced, horrible! I installed a set of KLUSON Revolution and now my SG is perfect plus high ratio and very smooth knobs.
Some people use Grover tuners with plastic buttons, that' s a fine solution, like the new 3x3 Grover 102CK.

View attachment 49219

@ peiyuanchao,
Your new SG Standard '61 have a nice cherry finish, not this washed orange. Is it true or is it the picture ?
Now you need a nice wide bevel pickguard... 😻

View attachment 49222
I was fortunate enough to get to pick from a few different guitars - the 61 has very little almost non existent neck dive, I like kluson style tuners, and the neck feels really good.
So I went for it!
glad to know all the options for upgrade and tuner options!

yeah mine got a really red cherry finish, I love it! very vibrant

peiyuanchao

Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS ! HAPPY NGD !

Altho many don't think it matters I always listen to how a guitar sounds un-plugged.....A GUITAR HAS TO ACOUSTICALLY "RING", IMO !!! I consider this paramount......almost above all else....almost ! the entire package does have to be considered in the end.

ROCK THAT BAD-A$$ !!!
I whole heartily agree.
that is what I first test, see how the guitar reacts to the string pluck- how long/loud it does and if I can feel the resonance from my belly.
usually that is the inate quality of the guitar than can not be changed
everything else can be worked on, pickups/amp/EQ/wiring/hardware
but imo -
how the guitar reacts to the string energy is hard to change

smitty_p

Reaction score
BRO, Get the SG Standard.....and rip out the 490 pickups s soon as you get it ! Put '57 Classics in it and you will be ROCKIN and ROLLIN'....all night long !

Plus one on the '57 Classics.

Some guys rip 'em out right away. Score some off of eBay that some dude pulled out of his guitar and you'll be good.

They have more of a vintage-y output, but I think they are pretty versatile. They only have an A2 magnet, which helps with dynamics and articulation as it keeps the pickup from being too "gainy".

But, I have a different philosophy from many. I look for clarity and articulation with a pickup and let the amplifier do the heavy lifting.

smitty_p

Reaction score
Oh, by the way, I moved the strap button on the back of the neck of my SG’s to the upper bout tip and it made a tremendous difference in playability and balance for me. A lot of folks here kinda scoffed at me for it but I’m very happy with it. Just for your information.

I've seen that done before by others. It's always made me a little nervous.

I assume you had to use a pretty long screw to get to a thicker part of the horn, right?

Latest posts