Maiden Post at the forum: Which one do I go for?

MR D

Reaction score
Plus one on the '57 Classics.

Some guys rip 'em out right away. Score some off of eBay that some dude pulled out of his guitar and you'll be good.

They have more of a vintage-y output, but I think they are pretty versatile. They only have an A2 magnet, which helps with dynamics and articulation as it keeps the pickup from being too "gainy".

But, I have a different philosophy from many. I look for clarity and articulation with a pickup and let the amplifier do the heavy lifting.
Right, exactly...that is the exact thing I appreciate about the '57's...CLARITY !

Alanbama

Reaction score
I've seen that done before by others. It's always made me a little nervous.

I assume you had to use a pretty long screw to get to a thicker part of the horn, right?
Actually I use Dunlop strap locks and they come with a pretty long screw. That’s what I used and have had them on there for quite a while and I play it every day and I’m quite active when I play, as much as an old man can be anyway 😝, I’ve never had any issues at all. Heck, I don’t even think about them much anymore.

3bolt79

Reaction score
Welcome! I have an SG Standard. My wife got it for me back in April. I didn’t figure I was going to like the 490’s. But after adjusting the heights, I actually found the sweet spots.

I recently bought an LP that had what are usually my favorite set of pup….490R and 498T. And the guitar sounded muddy through my Bogner and Marshall. So I sent the LP back and got another one with simpler wiring and 490T bridge and 490R.

I always liked the 490 as a neck pickup. we shall see how the LP compares to my SG. The LP is the bottom of the barrel as far as Gibsons go. It is a Tribute. I got it because of the pups and the fact that it has a maple neck.

Fiddle with the pickup heights a bit. You may be surprised.