Malcom Young's wiring question

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Dadou, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

I was wandering on the internet and found out that Malcolm Young's gretsch has only the bridge pup working (which I already knew) directly wired to the jack socket so that the volume and the tone pots don't work.
    I don't know anything about wiring, but I've come through several threads discussing about guitar wiring and stuff, so my question is: does it affect the tone? or is it just a sort of I-don't-care-about-my-rig-and-all-in-all-this-is-the-only-pup-I-use-fn'-rock-n'-roll-man kinda thing?

2. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

It doesn't affect tone significantly, but it does give that bridge pick up a no-load which is like having the tone on 11. It seems it's the only pick up that he really uses so why bother having those other pups. Your last point says it all! There are quite a few guitarists that dis-connect their tone controls like Malmsteen & Iommi. It's all about keeping it simple just like Rock 'n' Roll. I guess that's the thinking behind why he does it. I remember reading in a magazine years ago an interview with Malcolm Young. As I remember him saying why he let's his brother Angus do all the lead guitar work. If Malcolm did all the lead guitar work, it would interfere with his drinking. ;) :cheers:

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I don;'t know anything about the setup on that guitar but that guy is a great rhythm guitarist. If you were to take his tone out of the band... it would really be a shock to most listeners. Angus is a great lead guitarist no doubt but Malcolm is very important to the AC/DC sound.

iblive likes this.
  4. Angry Tele

Angry Tele Member

i didnt know he wired his like that, pretty cool.

id assume its like an esquire that has the straight to jack position. It gives a bit of a hotter sound and brighter. TBH not that much different than having the small load a pot wide open has. IMO not worth losing the tone or volume controls for a little bit of TONE.

a no-load pot would give the same result (almost but not exactly). you can make a no-load pot by scraping off the last 1/8" or so of the carbon strip. It wont click like a real no-load the result is the same. Very easy to do.

the pot works normal until you get to the very last turn of the knob when the pot goes out of circuit.

here is a tutorial
    http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/pots.htm

BlackSG91 likes this.
  5. 3 Headed Moses

3 Headed Moses Member

Nice! :dude:

I've wired guitars up this way before. It's fun and easy to use a guitar that simple, but I like to at least have the vol control just in case.

6. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Angus has commented in interviews that Malcolm is the better guitar player of the two. Pretty much stated that Malcolm could easily do what he does, but he couldn't do what Malcolm does.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  7. Angry Tele

Angry Tele Member

this is Mal soloing. sounds very much like Angus, especially the vibrato. the best quote about Mal soloing is he said he doesnt like to solo because when he does the bottom drops out lol. But, I dunno, angus is always hyping Malcolm in every interview, I think maybe because he is younger he feels weird getting all the attention; pretty much everyone except the most casual listeners appreciate Mal for how great and integral to the band he is. now Phillip Hugh Norman Witschke Rudzevecuis (lol say that 3 times fast)on the other hand, is truly underrated.

This album (Australian release High Voltage) is interesting for a few reasons. Mal solos, they use effects (reverb and delay) and George Young plays bass.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI_wcE_MEJg]AC/DC Show Business - YouTube[/ame]

BlackSG91 likes this.
  8. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

that no-load pot mod is very interesting Angry Tele... might try that on a strat copy i have to see what happens ;)

BlackSG91 likes this.
  9. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

Neil Young does something similar. His black Les Paul has a switch that bypasses everything and routes the bridge pickup straight to the jack.

Guthrie Govan had something similar on his Suhrs before he switched to Charvel.

In that configuration it gives you some versatility since you can have the volume rolled back and then go to 10 instantly if need be.

10. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

I have a direct out switch on my '89 Yamaha RGX Custom. I hardly used it in the past, but now I find it a handy feature. This also connects the bridge pickup directly to the output jack and bypasses all other controls. I like to sometimes set my volume a bit low, then I'll flip this switch for full, instant shredding.

[​IMG]

11. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

The only problem, if it could be considered a problem, would be that the guitar would dependt on the amp for any Vol/EQ adjustments. Both Angus and Malcom are known for pluggin strainght to a Marshall plexi amp without any od/distortion box in between. The AC/DC tone is preatty much the raw natural OD of the plexi Amp and the Heat of the Pickups.

12. Angry Tele

Angry Tele Member

yes and this is a problem for little guys but not so much for ac/dc or any band that has sound guys and techs working for them.

But IIRC, angus and mal use a wireless system and I thought a volume pedal was hooked up. I could be wrong though.

i had an esquire wired 1 straight to jack/ 2 volume only/ 3 volume and tone, and I found the difference between all 3 when the pots were wide open was nominal. So its not really worth it IMO.

13. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

:dude:I had a duo-sonic wired straight to jack when I played in an early punk band, Parvo Dog Virus and the Toxic Shock Syndrome . I was playing through a Fender Showman with a 2-15 cab, treble dimed and volume as loud as I could stand it .:wow: I kinda liked it, but more as therapy than a musical instrument .:laugh2:
    [​IMG]
    Biddlin ;>)/

BlackSG91 likes this.
  14. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I love Mal's Gretsch. Someday I'll get a Jet Firebird and do those same mods as a tribute to him.

[​IMG]

BlackSG91 likes this.
  15. 11ztwelve

11ztwelve Active Member

I had to pick between the Gretsch sound or the Gibson sound. I settled on the Gibson sound but I really want some lower powered pickups more like T Tops with some P90 sizzle. The 490s are too hot for my taste and seem to drive an amp too early with less transition from clean to grit. Hell, I can barely crack my Blackstar Drive Pedal open before I'm well into crunch territory. Hey, Malcolm (Filtertrons) and Angus (T Tops on his vintage SG) can't be wrong! I'm seriously considering some Lawrence L90s

16. Angry Tele

Angry Tele Member

try mini-humbuckers!

17. 11ztwelve

11ztwelve Active Member

Yes, minis do sound good too.