Marshall Valvestate amps. They good?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DoodoaXD, Jul 17, 2014.

1. DoodoaXD

DoodoaXD Well-Known Member

I found a really nice deal for one, and I'll be honest I really want it, can't find anything else, and I'm desperate for a new amp.

It's a 40W. Combo amp. Two channels. Should I get it?

2. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has one and he likes it.never owned one but im sure it will be just fine.especially for ur AC/DC .i just play at home and am using a Roland Cube 60 and it will rock the windows lol.

3. DoodoaXD

I found MG 100w and mg 250( that's 2x50w) for the same price as the valve but they were WAY to big for shipping. Stupid shipping...

4. DoodoaXD

And yeah, maybe it will. But I'm still not sure what a valvestate is exactly.

5. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Well ill take a guess and say its probably like a half breed.got maybe a 12ax7 pre amp tube and a Solid State power amp.i had amps like this before.might just be solid state and no valves.(tubes)im sure someone on here knows

6. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Yup, that's what a Valvestate is...tube preamp and solid state power amp. They are made to get distortion through the preamp tubes.

I've played through one for a couple of gigs. They don't sound bad at all.

7. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

They sound good.
    I played for several years in a band with a guy who used a Valvestate 40.
    No pedals either. Guitar > cable > amp and a bit of delay in the effects loop.
    We always used to laugh about how many compliments he got about his tone.

DoodoaXD and JohnnyGoo like this.
  8. DoodoaXD

Okay guys I did it! Marshall Valvestate 40 is mine for the taking! And for a bargain, 135 buxs!!!

Thanks for the help :)

eS.G., bloosman1 and JohnnyGoo like this.
  9. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

After repairing three, I then turned them away advising the customer to find another amp and scrap the Valvestate. Too many design flaws to suit me creating costly repairs. The 12AX7 in the preamp was of little actual benefit and really just a gimmick to sell the amp. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but when asked if they're any good, that's my view on them...

10. weemac

weemac Active Member

I had one and it was pretty good although a little consertive in the power department (my 25 watt fender was way louder)
    I never had to repair it apart from spraying the pots out. They were meant to be fairly rugged but if Wade says they have issues I defer to his experience.

I'd still grab one if it was the right price though..

Eden.

11. DoodoaXD

I think it will turn out good. This is my first REAL amp, I had a piece of crap Yamaha. And besides, in Egypt, getting a Marshall is like is like getting alien technology. And when I sell it for a better amp, it'll get sold fast and with a good price cause once again Marshall. I think I made the right choice.

weemac and smitty_p like this.
  12. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Well I'm hoping that the amp you get will not cause you any mischief. Those that I repaired primarily had voltage spikes from the poweramp circuit that were not contained well and not only blew the finals (output transistors) but fried the speaker as well. When I saw this pattern of failure it wasn't difficult to see an issue with their design in that stage of the amp. :squint:

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that yours acts well for you!:fingersx:

13. Natural Burst

Natural Burst Member

My first proper amp was a VS100 (after a cheapo 10 Watt SS practise amp that always faded in and out). I loved the sound and it was very versatile. It ended up cutting in and out and this was somehow related to the Power Dimension button, which would give a loud pop when engaged; the amp would function normally for a while then fade out again, repeat cycle.

I put up with this for quite a while but eventually decided to let it go because the circuit diagram was complex (so it could’ve being anything causing the problem and I anticipated troubleshooting alone probably would’ve being expensive) and there were no amp techs where I lived anyway. I sold it fairly cheap because I was quite upfront about it’s problems. It took me years to find something as versatile and good sounding at low volumes and that eventually was an Orange CR60.

Westernrider likes this.
  14. Westernrider

Westernrider Well-Known Member

Had a bedroom amp, the Kustom HV65 for many years and finally got tired of it. I bought an Orange CR60 to replace it. This is a sleeper amp. There is many good things to say about this amp. I'm not a pro-reviewer, so don't expect much.

The clean channel will break up a bit as the gain goes up. Also, I run an MXR 78 Badass into the clean channel with gain down - sounds good. This amp does take pedals really well. I run an MXR 10 band in the loop. Should also mention it sounds like an Orange Amp not an embarrassing pile of sonic goo.

15. old lefty

old lefty New Member

valvestate amp

i traded a large torque wrench for one a few months back valvestate 150 combo they have a 12 ax7 preamp tube with solidstate averything else they do have a complicated circuitry design. jim was trying out a new technology for smaller combo amps i also bought a vs 412 bottom cab also.has the light magnet celestion in the valvestates special design it says on them i contacted celestion for the speaker design. the vs cabs also have light magnet speakers but. i did clean out the pots and switches it is a 2000 model so is the cabinet. i like the versitle things things amp will do. it does sound good it ain't no jcm or jvm but it don't cost 3 grand either and it will blow your hair back i plug straight in except for an old crybaby i had for 40 years. i did not play for 30 years after the whole family deal has finally been done and i'm now retired if it breaks it will be expensive to fix but when i had to put 5 tubes and 2 caps in my mc-30 mc intosh home amps i've had for 40 years that was $400.00 but these are the **** in tube amps the best ever made by mc intosh labs so every ten years i gotta replace a tube or two. when i use my phase linear preamp thru these into some vs series cerwin vega's the sound is amazing but these are $3000.00 worth of monoblock amps so i''ll take them over my old altec and my crown anyday i still got those 2 but i don't use them i like the tube sound the warmth and the clarity of every instrument in the recording you are listening to.it's like anything else if it works it will eventually break so be prepared to fix it or trade it off my local amp guy who fixed my macs said they are ok for the money but some did have issues like the power amp section but he was fixin a peavey a fender and two other s.s. amps at the time i had him check out my valvestate all were solid state amps so..... i am pleased so far.especially since i have no use for a 600 lb torque wrench that my snap on man offered me $50,00 for.20 year old $645.00 torque wrench in good shape and recently calibrated. just my 2 cents gotta work them deals when you getta chance then move up accordingly

16. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

So HNAD, ya like it? Hate it? Wanna send it to me.......no I am "amped" up lol.....stop....don't say it......we ALL know what your thinking ALex......

DoodoaXD likes this.
  17. DoodoaXD

Crayons? I don't know!

Yes, it's amazing, just great. I used it for a while without any pedals(don't own any) and dat vintage sound was just rocking. Only a week ago I asked my friend who stopped playing guitar if I could borrow his pedal, a DigiTech Rp 115. Got the tone and sound to exactly what I wanted it to be, and bam! The buzz and occasional humming was gone. But it wasn't that bad of a buzz!

And I have a mentioned the clean mode? Good God, it's cleaner that Bon Scott's pants! Wait his pants are quite dirty... OK, just insert figure of speech here.

And it's really loud too. The jump from 1 to 2 is like going from the 1st floor to the 5th right away. I can definitely use it for small gigs, which is all I really do!

18. Mass debate

Mass debate Member

Yes they are good. I had 2 100 watts way back and they did the job just as other tube amps did for me. But I don't think it's worth fixing once it breaks on you.