May have found a new favorite (well one of) pickup

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by cybermgk, Feb 22, 2015.

1. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member

Some of you may, or may not know of my recent new guitar, the Epiphone Limited Edition Lee Malia Signature Artisan Les Paul ,

Well, at first I wasn't sure about the Bridge Pickup. I figured I would like the Gibson P94 in the neck, but wasn't sure about the Gibson 84T-LM.

As it turned out, it took a bit of adjusting to get the P94, HB sized P90 adjusted in the neck. Finally got that dialed in with it lowered, and the poles raised just right. Very nice clean and crunch. What you would expect from a fat P90 in the neck. Useable dirty as well now. Good, maybe not great. But, there are few pups I have yet to find, I'd call great in the neck, dirty. Middle position is much better for that.

But, I had never heard of the 84t-LM before getting the guitar. So, was leery. It also needed to be adjusted to its sweet spot. Not a lot of information out there on these pickups.

Lee Malia, from all I've read, really had a lot to do with how this guitar was spec'ed. He had this to say about the pickup.

Well the 'modded' an pickup from appears to be the 80s, the 84t. The original, it appears was made by Gibson for the '84 'EVH' Kramer guitar. It was allegedly designed to recreate EVH's Custom SD PAF from his axe. Some also say it was patterned after an SD JB. The original 84T's specs are kind of a mix of the two. And I have a JB, and I don't think their the same. At any rate, all agree it was designed to do EVH and VH tone.

At any rate, the old 84T was:

Gibson USA 84T Pickup
    Wire Gauge: 44AWB
    Turns:6800
    Magnet: Alnico-V
    Resistance @ DC = 16.34 Kohms
    Resonant Freq. = 5.2 Kohms
    Inductance @ 1KHz = 8.3H

However the 84T-LM is not the same as the older 84T. As mentioned, Gibson modified the original. I know mine measures at 14.94K resistance, 7.43 when split.

All, I can say, is Lee Malia and Gibson, Epiphone have designed a winner. It is what a Burstbucker Pro WISHES it was. The BB Pro is similar, but quite a bit more compressed and a bit less dynamic/responsiveness as well.

This pup was made to get dirty and drive an amp. SO, so responsive and articulate on a dirty amp. Responds fantastically to pick attack changes

I spent quite a bit of time Saturday, comparing it to the BB Pro, Gibson Soapbars on my other LPs, and the Harpmaster Rockmasters on my Agiles, as well as the 57 Classic Plus and Whole Lotta Humbucker on my SGs, and the TV Jones Powertrons on my DBZ and the Classics in my M80, and my Gretsch Vette's Mega'Trons. .

The Harmasters are extremely good sounding pickups. Until now, they were my favorite, straight Humbucker, with the 57 Classic Plus in my SG a close 2nd. I like this 84t-lm better. Better than the BB Pros, and overall, better than the Whole lotta Humbuckers from SD.

In fact, the TV Jones, which I just think are fantastic, are about the only pickups, that held up to it. In fact, they are similar in a lot of respects, but eqed a little different.

I'm a HUGE P90 fan. And, this 84t-lm has a LOT of similar tonal aspects to a P90. That p90 growl, and sizzle are there .

The pickup is really some of the best aspects of a PAF, and a P90 combined, imho. I just love this pup dirty. It is really one of the best pickups, if not the best, I have for rock tones. Fat, yet with growl. Organic, but not uncontrollable. It has sizzle, separation while dirty, responsive, everything you'd want.

Took me a little tweaking of height and both pole heights (for even volume), but when I did, dayum.

Really wish I could buy these by themselves.

Bettyboo and milesdeem like this.
  2. cybermgk

This vid somewhat captures that grunt of a P90 combined with the articulation of a PAF.

3. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

WOW!!! That video makes it look to be one hell of a kick ass axe!
    Congrats! I've been loving a good humbucker/humbucker sized p90 set up for a while now, and that one sounds sweet in the video.

cybermgk likes this.
  4. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

Those are really nice. I tried to buy one from a Japanese store, no dice!

cybermgk likes this.
  5. cybermgk

The guitar or the pickup?

6. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

That looks like a great guitar. I have never been a big epi fan as everyone I have owned I have sold.
    But that looks to be a winner. Never been a burstbucker fan either. Congrats I would like to get my hands on one of those/
    frankd

7. cybermgk

No Burstbuckers in it. Gibson P94. Humbucker sized P90 in neck, and Gibson, custom, 84T-LM (only in this guitar, not to be found anywhere else).

Other than this not being a Nitro finish, it might as well be a Gibson, as far as the quality, and components go, stock.

8. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

That thing is badass

9. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Ahh yes I caught that but you said the 84t are everything the burstbuckers are supposed to be. I listened to a few vids on this guitar
    and it does sound good!

10. LeadFinger

The Lee Malia. With the Yen/Dollar it was a good deal, but they're not selling these to the States.

11. cybermgk

Hmm, that's interesting. I assume they normally wouldn't have a problem with that, for other guitars?

12. LeadFinger

They say they don't sell any Gibson/Epi to the states per their agreement with Gibson. Thought I'd give it a try, but it seem they're serious lol.

cybermgk likes this.