metronme question

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Tazz3, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Tazz3

Tazz3 Active Member

I have a fast question about the metronme.I found a free on line one and i set it to 40 bpm.because my chord changes are rough now i wanna know if iam useing it right lol.when it clicks thats when i hit the chord right??
    and when it dont click i do a chrod change right??
    well so far its been really good. so when i get better i will rise the bpm
    so iam i useing it right?? SO FAR ITS HELPING ME. I SHOULD HAVE USED IT SOONER

2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

You are basically right.......... in a basic kinda way. Playing a chord per beat (click) works and changing will motivate the changes as well. But keep in mind you will have the metronome will be for your tempo and you will learn there will many adjustments in the "beat" within that tempo.......

click....................click.....................click.....................click............... ///
    strum--------------strum---------------strum----------------strum......./// OR
    strum----strum---strum----strum-----strum----strum-----strum---strum
    str--str--str--str--str--str--str--str--

Poor example, but very simple demo to keep your mind open. That will get you into measures and beats per measures....... oops, getting ahead of myself or you. Those combinations are what makes music. The Met will help you with those changes, but I also would sit and change the chords without strumming. (Takes longer when you have too much to concentrate on...)

If any of the above confused, complicated or generally screwed up the learning process.............. please disregard. :)

WavMixer and Tazz3 like this.
  3. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Just a small hint. 40 bpm is a very hard beat for a beginner to follow - the gaps are too long. Set the metronome to 80 bpm and using alternate beats as your key points. You will find it much easier to stay on them.

Tazz3 and dbb like this.
  4. Tazz3

Tazz3 Active Member

ok thanks but iam starting off slow because my chord changes sux lol i wanna get them smooth. i strumm the chord say D for 4 times i tap with my foot then when no clicking i swicth to say an A chord i strumm for 4 times then i go back. but i did rise it to 52 bpm now iam not going to learn this over night lol and i wanna thank u all for the help
    iam not ready to burn the les paul just yet lol :)

5. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

But Don's right, 40 BPM is VERY slow, beyond doom metal slow.

Even 80 BPM isn't very fast.

Just keep practicing, it will get smoother.

6. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

Tazz, when I started I learned G, D, C, Am, Em. These chords all sound good together and you will find them in a lot of songs. CCR is a good example. I would hold a chord, strum once, then change, and strum again. I did this with G and C at first.Once I got that change down I added the change to D. And so on.

One thing to note is don't try to play any faster than you can play the chords perfectly. That is why I played one strum at a time. If you practice playing like crap, it will be harder for you to perfect your playing.

Six String likes this.