MF SG Classic Fralin P-90 Installation

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by whotribute, Dec 14, 2004.

1. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Very VERY cool

2. alazary

alazary Member

if only that was a hiwatt dr103, pete would call you a theif!

3. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

For what it cost me to build that head, I could have HAD a DR103! The problem is that it is way too loud for my purposes (as is a DR504), so I built the "Marwatt" version of the 18 watt Marshall. It sounds pretty good, if not exactly like a Hiwatt, it gets pretty close.

It definitely moves some air, and sounds awesome with P-90s and Humbuckers.....

4. dcooper

dcooper Member

Pete, good job. Be careful doing windmills in the house. :)

5. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

LOL....... it's the bridge and pickup selector switch that I have to look out for during windmills! :shock:

6. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

Whotribute,

Did you get stock, underwound or overwound Fralins..... I am ready to order a set for my PT SG, and want to nail the LAL tone, as it is THE reason I ever picked up a guitar!

Also, did you use the .022 uf caps from the RS kit or different ones?

Thanks!

7. whotribute

whotribute New Member

Sorry I've been away...

The Fralin pickups in the guitar are the 15% underwound neck, stock bridge with ALNICO Bar Magnets.

I used the .022 caps and followed the RS wiring method they include with the kit. HOWEVER - Their treble bypass circuit sucks.

I spent many, many hours trying different treble bypass circuits that worked with P-90's. I wanted the volume and gain to roll off so I can play clean without using a stompbox. This is the method you should use:

For the bridge pickup, use a high-quality 470pf cap IN SERIES (that means tied end to end) with a 56k resistor across the center lug of the volume pot and the lug that attaches to the rest of the circuit.

For the neck pickup, use a high-quality 1000pf cap IN SERIES (that means tied end to end) with a 56k resistor across the center lug of the volume pot and the lug that attaches to the rest of the circuit.

Lastly, here is a SOUND CLIP of this guitar w/my fralins and treble bypass with my band playing a snippet of The Who's OVERTURE from Tommy.

The amplifier used is my home-build variation of a Marshall 18 watt with a custom closed back 2x12 w/celestion 25's. No gadgets, toys, rack crap or any other bull.

I apologize for the crappy sound quality. Its just a room mic.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resopadh/overture.mp3

WHOTRIBUTE

8. gwydion

gwydion Member

Wow
    I have to say, that sounds damn good to my ears.

9. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Just a technical note:

Whotribute said to use "high quality" caps and then 56k resistors in series.

On thing other users MAY have to watch out for differing ESR (effective series resistance) of different caps. It would be best to use the same brand and type of cap for both if at all possible.

ESR changes a whole bunch. Orange drops are quite low, so say... in relation to a ceramic disk.. you'd need more resistance. Similarly, silver-mica caps are very low in ESR. Poly caps (those green ones) are about medium.

If you really wanted to do it right - get a little 100k pot and wire it up like a variable resistor. Twiddle with it till you get the tone perfect, then read the resistance, and replace the pot with a resistor thats real close in value (measure the resistor too just in case).

10. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

well in this case, its sorta matching the "quality" of the cap.

11. whotribute

whotribute New Member

I use the WIMA surface-mount type for PCB's. Perfect for putting between volume pot lugs.

12. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

13. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

Whotribute........

AWESOME........... The LAL tone is nailed, and the playing aint too shabby either!

It doesn't matter how many times I hear Leeds, Pete's tone just slays me.......

I need a DR504 and some talent!

BTW, I just put a set of Lollars into my PT SG today. I haven't had a chance to crank them up with the Marwatt (the wife and kids might not appreciate my Who tribute at this hour! ;) ), but, after a quick setup, they sound pretty good on the Pandora.

I kept the 300k Gibby pots and the Orange drops (.015 uF neck, and .022uF bridge) I had in there to keep track of the changes. I have a set of matched 500K pots and a set of .022 Hovlands for it , but I want to do the changes one at a time.

BTW, WhoTribute, where are you located? I'd love to see/hear you guys play!

14. whotribute

whotribute New Member

Thanks, thanks. Did you build your Marwatt or buy one from DST?

We're from NJ, so if anybody in the metro area is interested in seeing a seriously authentic tribute to The Who, here is the website:

www.whotribute.com

15. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I built my Marwatt from a custom kit from Ceriatone, with a LOT of help from Jeff, Bob Dettorre (DST). Jeff built the head cab.

I am originally from LI....... next time I'm up that way, I'll have to look you guys up and catch a show!

16. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

LI? whereabouts... we got some islanders (and exislanders) here

17. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

Massapequa............

Moved out in '87, when I was 22 and never really looked back. I do miss a lot of things about LI though.....

18. musicalhair

musicalhair New Member

WOW! You guys are something else! I'm going to be living in this thread til at least I get my SG modded up like you guys have it here.

Hi, I'm new here and I found this place as I've been researching just what to do with my "Faded" cherry SG. I really like the guitar a lot.

I love the Townsend tone-- Isle of Wight better than Live at Leeds but I could like write a book about what I hear in the tones on those to records as both sound great to me Leeds sounds more "introspective" and Wight sounds more manic or edgy tone-wise (to me anyway)-- but it seems a lot of great tones come from P-90 equipped SG's. The early Santana records I think he had P-90's.

I've got a couple of questions. Since my guitar has stock humbuckers on it, will the P-90's fit or will I need a collar or something? Will the Fralin Split singles P-92's suit me better (similar tone but better "fit") or will they be just different animals?

And, what is the RS Kit?

Thanks, and if these questions belong in a new thread let me know. Some forums don't like redundant threads some do.

19. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

20. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

welcome aboard musicalhair!!.....looks like you're home.... :D