Mic Pre-Amps or Direct Boxes?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by doveman, May 26, 2007.

1. doveman

doveman Member

I for one really like putting a mic on a real amp speaker. I use a Shure 57. But my experience is that you really need to run a mic through a preamp before running it into a sound card. There are lots of options ... hopefully some others will chime in.

I'm really different on this one. Using the Fender Acoustasonic amp (solid state amp for an acoustic guitar) is unusual & an expensive way to go ... unless you already have it ... like I do. It's built like a small PA system with preamps, balanced mic inputs, preamp outputs. I use it for recording vocals, acoustic guitar and also mic guitar and bass amp speakers through it too.

I take the send output directly to the sound card. Works good cause I never have to unplug the amp send from my PC's sound card ... as I lay track after track down.

I imagine the really good preamps would work the same way. Most people would probably use a cheaper (more appropriate) mic preamp at this stage. What are you guys using?

I'm going to take a break and let some others kick in now ... I'm not sure I'm really helping Lexie in the project ... but I took a shot. :?

2. Raging Taco

Raging Taco Member

i always just run the mic straigh to the interface/consol. whatever your using. if your using some type of good software you should be able to make it sound however you want after its recorded, and have some pre-amps built in

3. antichef

antichef Member

Since the amp is loud, it seems like you have more flexibility on the type of preamp used, unlike quieter things like acoustic and vocals. You still need something, of course, but I've been OK with the preamps in my audio interface and others, and different ones don't seem to make a huge difference (again unlike those other things).

I've been using the SM57, and recently found that if I use this one preamp with a variable input impedance, I can get better sounds out of it (by turning the impedance up some). Other mics I like for amps are the Audix I5 and the Shure Beta 57A

4. ditto2

ditto2 Member

I come out of amp into Mic {and use all kinds of Mic's, depends}
    Mic goes into old Telefunken v672 and the into my compressor I always use for guitars 1176 limiting amp. And like you go strait into computer . . To me this has the best fullest present tone wise recording of guitar I can get . I never have to put plug in on as they all would subtract from instead of adding to {unless it is for some weird effect } And the only way I would use a boards preamp is if it was more on the high end side of the boards . For example I would never let a mackie preamp touch the sound before it went to tape or computer . I would rather it go strait to tape .
    But I would come back out of computer to a mackie for mixing . Its just some or a lot of pre- amps make the sound thin and then you are screwed always trying to make it bigger .
    D