Mick Mars/Girls Girls Girls tone?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Psychobilly444, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Psychobilly444

Psychobilly444 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how Mick Mars got his classic "Crue" sound? Especially on Girls Girls Girls?

2. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

i usually see him playin a Strat.dont know what pickups or amp he might use.Dude was one of the best Hairmetal guitarists if ya ask me.

3. Psychobilly444

Right? His single-coil Strats! Ugh, I can't get that tone to save my life. Don't really need it, but it would just be fun to mess around with.

4. VanDerchuck

VanDerchuck Active Member

You also might need a cranked JCM800 and the newest pedal of the day for back then.

5. Psychobilly444

6. VanDerchuck

VanDerchuck Active Member

I followed the link, and had to search for Micks rig. Are you talking the 1995 rig?

7. Psychobilly444

I just posted the link for rigs in general. But the one I found was 1995 I believe. Apparently his "tone secrets" are "closely guarded?"

8. Psychobilly444

Not an option, lol. Was hoping for "other leading brand" of canned tone effects. Like out of a processor or multi-effects or something.

9. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Mick seems to use a Tele these days

But yeah a Fender single coil guitar should do the trick!

10. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Here is a neat little trick I just stumble upon not long ago.....for a REALLY cool metal sound -----use a P90 loaded Git!!!!!
    Calll me crazy----we all know I am--- but SERIOUSLY......I stumbled on a friggin awesome METAL sound using an AGILE Al2000 with P90's and a little VOX amp.............I mean DAMN Black Sabbath ......on the NOSe.....some changes with the amp and Crue.....80/90's hair band Metal tone on TAP..... I never thought off P90's as metal pups but they doi it really really well.
    So there ya go ;)

11. Psychobilly444

I've been JONESING BAD for an SG with P-90's with no real reason why! No I have a reason! :rofl:

12. Dave_Death

I have an SG Junior with a Bare Knuckle Stockholm P-90 in it. That thing is a metal monster. Modern style custom harness with treble bleed, 500K CTS pots, o.033uf Russian PEPT poly cap. I also have a Graph Tech ResoMax NW-2 bridge which allows you to intonate each string and is nicely rounded to make palm-muting more comfortable. I mainly play crust punk on it (tuned down to D standard) but you can definitely get Asphyx style death metal chainsaw sounds out of it if you use a heavier pick.

I have to admit that I haven't tried getting Motley Crue out of it. I think the factory pup or the Bare Knuckle Nantucket would be better for that

milesdeem likes this.
  13. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Yes.......you NEED one for certain.

14. Psychobilly444

e has spoken, so it shall be done! lol

eS.G. likes this.
  15. Dave_Death

Those TV Yellow 2014 Melody Makers seem to be going cheap at the moment if you don't mind a thickish neck. They are LP shape but body is thinner like an SG and they are solid wood. The P-90s in them are really nice. I'd get one if I liked the '50s neck, and even despite that I am still tempted to get one and just get used to the neck somehow

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-Melody-Maker.aspx

16. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

17. JimD

JimD Member

Let's not forget that Mick Mars, like every other guitarist captured in a recording, was in a studio and therefore had more links-in-the-tone-chain than just the pickups-guitar-amp bit. I have no idea how they recorded that session (though I do like Mötley Crüe and the actual track GGG has a great guitar sound) but as well as Mick, the amp and the guitar there will have been a room, microphone(s) and then outboard, EQ and at the mix stage more EQ and, finally, mastering.

It's true that there are certain things you can pinpoint to being "part of the sound" with any guitarist, and I'm not a "hey it's all in the fingers man!" either. But I do think GGG sounds quite 80's-studio-tastic, so I wonder if there was some processing going on in the recording that is part of the whole vibe? Does anyone know any more details about the session?

The LP came out in 1987 and a quick Google Search for "Mick Mars 1987" shows him playing some Kramer superstrats and metal-teles (there's even one with a Girls, Girls, Girls paintjob), mostly with Floyd-Rose type bridges, some with angled bridge pickups. But...he may not have used those in the studio on the actual day?

This link has some images of 1987 era Crüe, but sadly no amps in sight! http://atlasicons.photoshelter.com/...+MARS+&I_USER_ID=U0000.dfmUltV1w0&_ACT=search

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  18. Dave_Death

Over at the Bare Knuckle forum (of which I am also a member) the most consistently recommended pickup from that range for this kind of sound is the Rebel Yell, although I don't think of it as specifically a Crue sound but rather an '80s sounding pickup that with the right EQ could sound very much like Crue. Not sure if it has enough bottom end for an SG though. It tends to like big, gainy amps

19. Psychobilly444

20. Dave_Death

THe 2104 Melody Maker actually has an arch top. It is like a solid Les Paul only half as thick