Mics & Placement?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by doveman, May 25, 2007.

1. doveman

doveman Member

I like the Shure SM57 ... placed about dead center about 5 inches away from the center of an EVM12L speaker ... but turned away from the center toward the middle of the actual speaker surface. The center is generally too harsh. I run the microphone into a pre-amp and then tap the signal directly into the M-Audio 24/96 sound card in my PC. I run the pre-amp "dry" with very little reverb/effects then add it in the recording software.

What do others do? Anyone not use mics? Something else?

This is some good information I googled off about.com about mic placement on guitars ... just a good basic reference.

Micing a Guitar Amp
    One of the most common situations in a recording studio - or live sound situation - is micing an electric guitar amp. You'll find a variety of amps and sounds - almost as many different amps and sounds as there are guitarists - and it's really simple to get a decent sound.

The biggest problem with many amateur guitarists is poor tone, and that's the first thing you might want to correct before you start placing a microphone for recording or live sound reinforcement. Take a listen to your amp and guitar combination on microphone-level -- that is, where the microphone would be placed when recording. Adjust your tone so that you're happy with it, but remember one thing: the low-end will be increased with a microphone placed close to the source, something called proximity effect.

Selecting The Microphone
    Your preferred microphone for this will be a dynamic microphone for it's ability to withstand high volumes. The preferred microphone for may is the Shure SM57, but the Sennheiser E609 is also a popular choice, and is my preferred microphone for guitar amps. You can also try a condenser microphone if you're playing softer music - jazz in particular. My favorite condenser microphone for guitar amps is the AKG Solid Tube, but depending on your preferences and needs you may find something different works best.

Placing The Mic
    The first thing to understand in microphone placement on guitar amps is that the sound doesn't resonate from the center of the cone; it comes from the off-axis - or "off center" area. How you position the microphone is really up to you and what you want your recording to sound like. If you're wanting a louder, more treble-filled sound, you want to place your microphone towards the center cone. If you want more of a warm tone, start moving out towards the center.

You might also try using two microphones on your amp - one close up and one farther back. You also need to remember, when running your amp in a recording situation, recording it at the highest volume possible while still achieving your desired "tone" is really recommended.

2. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

When I record I have 1 mic placed slightly off center my bottom speaker, 1 mic about 8-10 feet away dead center and one ambient mic on a boom up high in the center, then we mix it all together.

3. ericseanjohnson

ericseanjohnson Member

Anytime I record electric guitar I use two SM57's. The first placed dead center in front of the cone less than a half an inch away. The second directly beneath the first, but moved back so the front of the second is even with back of the capsule of the first. Hope that makes sense. This configuration cuts down the extreme midrange boost that the 57 has and it sounds great. But if you can only use one mic the 57 directly in the middle less than a half inch away will work just fine. If you want any room mics keep them away from windows or walls as the reflections will probably cause phase issues. However I suggest just using reverb for that effect.

4. Raging Taco

Raging Taco Member

i dont ever place a mic dead center. always off center, probably closer to the edge of the speaker. and i use an sm57 along with a behringer condenser and mix them together

5. antichef

antichef Member

I've been placing them dead center and like the results - probably there are a bunch of variables like the type of speaker, and other things.

I've been using the Audix I5 and the Shure Beta 57a, as well as the SM 57 - all are good. The I5 emphasizes lows and highs.

When I got professionally recorded, the setup was like weasel's, and there was a sound dampening chamber built around my marshall so that I could turn it way up. Today I don't have the right room for that sort of setup.

6. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=13691.msg177103#msg177103 date=1180144795]
    When I record I have 1 mic placed slightly off center my bottom speaker, 1 mic about 8-10 feet away dead center and one ambient mic on a boom up high in the center, then we mix it all together.
    [/quote]

I do pretty much the same thing. As far as mics directly on the speaker cab goes, I use either a E609 and/or SM57 along with a ribbon mic. Since I became enlightened with ribbon mics, I won't use anything else. They sound KILLER! :Droolin: I love having the room mics to mix in along with the direct mics. 8)

7. antichef

antichef Member

I've heard very good things about ribbon mics and cabs. Don't have any, but I did get in on the "group buy" over at homerecording.com/bbs, and so there should be a couple for me when the ship comes in (literally).

8. doveman

doveman Member

What's a ribbon mic? I've not heard that term.

9. doveman

doveman Member

10. antichef

antichef Member

11. antichef

antichef Member

oops - spent all day in the yard before replying - I hit refresh before posting, but I guess I was on what was now page one of two.

Anyway, I'm excited about trying them out.

12. TheOwl

TheOwl Member

Pretty simple for me, a Shure SM-57 about 9-10" back from the speaker off-center, a thick full singing tone ensues.