Model number confusion

Adam_Liguori

Reaction score
Recently acquired a 2001 sg that I originally thought was a standard, but a few things don't add up to me . I've owned gibsons from this year before and this is the only one that has had an abr1 bridge. Also, after opening up the neck pickup, I found a long neck tenon. If that isn't strange, my model number is st61hc as far as I can read . This number is the model number for a 61 reissue according to what I can find online. And that would make sense, except I have a factory full size pickguard, not the 61 little guy. If anyone has any ideas on what this could be that'd be awesome .

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
A photo of the guitar would be helpful in confirming the model.

A 2001 SG with batwing, bound neck, trapezoid inlays and crown inlay on headstock would be an SG Standard.

Last edited:

TattooedCarrot

Reaction score
That era is usually pretty easy. 2012 and earlier standards going back to the late 80's all have the large pickguard and the 61RI had the small. Standards had a sizable neck and the 61 has the 60's flatter neck and the 61 has a larger flared headstock. The standard should have a Nashville and the 61 an ABR (but they changed them over to Nashvilles also in the early-mid 00's I believe). I wonder if someone put a large pickguard on a 61? Maybe check the routing underneath. In 2013 they started convoluting the two models.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
The location of the crown inlay will also indicate the model regardless if someone tried to replace a small guard with a batwing.

When they started producing SG Standards with small guards during the same era as the SG '61 Reissues, the crown inlay is placed lower on the headstock of the SG Standard compared to an SG '61 Reissue.

Then it got really confusing in 2019 with the SG Standard '61.

full

Adam_Liguori

Reaction score
I've still been looking around online and I did come across a few standards with the abr-1. I took the pickguard off and it is definitely factory . Again the main thing that gets me is that sg61 model number . I'm also going to get the pickup readings. This eras standard should have the 490 r and 498t humbuckers but these sound like they put off alot less output .

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Can you post a photo of the guitar?
Hardware and pups will not indicate model.
Those could have been swapped out.

Headstock and neck markings will indicate which model.

Latest posts