Molded hardshell case that fits SG-62 RI (1988)

TheGroke

Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone know of a molded hardshell case that would fit a 1988 SG-62 RI? I bought an SKB-61 case, thinking it would work - but the body of the guitar is a little too big and the neck is a little too long. I have the original case, but I don't dare travel with it. I want something in molded ABS, so the airlines can't kill my guitar.

Also - what's up with the SG-62 dimensions? Are they a little bigger than normal? Were the original early 60s ones big and long like this too?

Thanks!

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
There was a thread that had photos showing the differences in the waist size of the ‘62 RI compared to other SG, but the recent posts only go back to 8 pages of thread links for some reason and the search function will not bring it up.

@PermissionToLand had some good reference photos on that thread comparing the two if I remember correctly.

VetPsychWars

Reaction score
I would look at the large rectangular gold 120th cases. Those have a lot of room in them.

Of course there is the Gibson gig bag....

Tom

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone know of a molded hardshell case that would fit a 1988 SG-62 RI? I bought an SKB-61 case, thinking it would work - but the body of the guitar is a little too big and the neck is a little too long. I have the original case, but I don't dare travel with it. I want something in molded ABS, so the airlines can't kill my guitar.

Also - what's up with the SG-62 dimensions? Are they a little bigger than normal? Were the original early 60s ones big and long like this too?

Thanks!

Yeah, that's weird because the SG-62 actually has a smaller body than most other SGs.

I would just go to the nearest GC or something and try every case they have. I wouldn't buy from them, though.

TheGroke

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. That's weird that it's smaller than regular SGs. You can see from my pics that the upper bout barely fits in the SKB SG case. So, it's not clear to me how the bigger ones would fit. The lower bout is OK though. The biggest issue is the length. The SKB case is too short. If I shove it down and compress the foam, I can sort of get it in, but there is no way I'd travel with it like that.

Anyway, a gig back or standard plywood case won't work for me. I want to fly trans-atlantic with this (I live in Sweden - no GCs here), and I'll only do it with molded ABS. I've had lots of cases killed by airlines. I've even gotten SKB cases back after flights with huge gorges in them. But never down to the guitar. IMG_9124sm.jpg IMG_9127sm.jpg

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. That's weird that it's smaller than regular SGs. You can see from my pics that the upper bout barely fits in the SKB SG case. So, it's not clear to me how the bigger ones would fit. The lower bout is OK though. The biggest issue is the length. The SKB case is too short. If I shove it down and compress the foam, I can sort of get it in, but there is no way I'd travel with it like that.

Anyway, a gig back or standard plywood case won't work for me. I want to fly trans-atlantic with this (I live in Sweden - no GCs here), and I'll only do it with molded ABS. I've had lots of cases killed by airlines. I've even gotten SKB cases back after flights with huge gorges in them. But never down to the guitar. View attachment 36712 View attachment 36713

Is the SKB case designed for Gibsons specifically or just SG-style guitars in general? A box case would certainly fit.

TheGroke

Reaction score
Hi. The SKB-61 is specifically for Gibson and Epiphone SG style guitars. They have two other models that also almost fit (SKB-66 and FS-6), but they both have the same "not long enough" problem. Also, the SG neck angle just doesn't work with these other models (also tried an SKB jaguar/jazzmaster case - too shallow).

Maybe this would work though: 1SKB-35

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=192&o=&offset=&c=82&s=75

Anyone have access to one (and an SG?). It's certainly long enough inside. And it has depth...

Dave

Reaction score
Hmm, I would like to get a good case for my 1986 SG62. I have an aftermarket case. The guitar fits but doesn't quite close correctly.

Latest posts