Multi effects board or stomp boxes - that is the question.

Discussion in 'Effects' started by iblive, Jan 23, 2010.

1. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Okay boys and girls, what's your preference and why?

I have both.

I have a effects box I got on sale and mainly use it for messing around at home. I can plug head phones in and rock out without bothering people in the next room. It allows me to test effects without having to buy an individual stomp box and hope I got the right one.

However.......

When I play, I like stomp boxes better. I just think my guitar sounds better.

Your turn.

2. D-DAY

D-DAY Member

100% agreed. Multi-effects are wonderful for quiet demo recording as well.

3. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I prefer to use stomp boxes.

1. Reliability: If one breaks on the road you can take it out of the loop.
    2. Arrangement: You can change the order of each pedal
    3. Placement: some on input to the amp, some in the effects loop.
    4. Choice: I select each individual components based on sound qualities. I've not heard a multi-effect pedal that is "best of breed" for every sound.
    5. Reliability: I have pedals still operating from the '70s. Multi effects pedals have not been proven over time.

Having said all that, I use a Glass Nexus multi effect in the effects loop for:
    Delay, Vibrato, Flanger, UniVibe, Tremolo, Chorus, Rotary and Phaser

1. It covers less space on the pedal board
    2. Most sounds are pretty good
    3. I could do without it if it broke

4. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

I find when you have a multi-effects you tend to overuse effects more readily.

Personally I used to use distortion and boost stompboxes, a rack EQ as well as the channel switcher for my amp, but I've done away with all that and just plug straight in with a delay in the loop and use the volume knob and I get much better sound.

5. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I use both a multi-effects box and conventional pedals, and even nothing but the amp, old school.
    It all depends on what I'm going for.
    I tend to use the multi-effects box more on gigs as I have it programmed for my most commonly used tones, and it is easy to deal with and has an OK amp simulator. It sounds somewhat "synthetic" when I listen alone in the studio, but when I hear the recorded playback it sounds very good, so it's in the arsenal.
    I still use a basic rig I've used for years: guitar into distortion into wah into phase/flange into volume pedal into delay into amp. Some of the pedals change over the years but that rig has worked for me for many styles of music and a wide variety of sounds.
    If one does not program one's own multi-effects, it both sounds like everyone else's and as pointed out is easy to overuse, or to choose overprocessed sounds all to easily.

6. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

Stomp Boxes.....Mostly Analog. I had a multieffects board and it was just to digital sounding. With this setup and all the bypass options....I get great natural tones.
    [​IMG]

7. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

I have a pretty big collection of boxes but for gigs I try to bring no more than four, depending on the setlist. Sometimes I don't bring any and just plug straight in to the amp. I've never used a multi-effects unit simply because every time I hear somebody use one, it just sounds "fake" to me. I'm not a fan of over-processed guitars but some people like that sound.

Sometimes I go to jam nights and I see these guys with racks, multi-effects units, Floyd Rose, the works. It takes them half an hour to set up! Then I walk in with my Blues Jr NOS and an SG. I plug the amp and guitar in and I'm ready to go. I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but everytime, I'm the one who gets all the comments from people about what a great tone/sound I have. I think there is definitely something to be said for keeping it simple.

8. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I have lots of both especially pedals from the 60's/70's but most of the time just a guitar, cord and critically, but not usually ;D tuned amp

9. SGtone

SGtone Member

[quote author=Kevy Nova link=topic=20292.msg246531#msg246531 date=1266607992]
    Sometimes I go to jam nights and I see these guys with racks, multi-effects units, Floyd Rose, the works. It takes them half an hour to set up! Then I walk in with my Blues Jr NOS and an SG. I plug the amp and guitar in and I'm ready to go. I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but everytime, I'm the one who gets all the comments from people about what a great tone/sound I have. I think there is definitely something to be said for keeping it simple.
    [/quote]

I know exactly what you mean. It's the old cliché "less is more" but it's true.

Unless you want to cover U2. Then you'd need NASA mission control to be in charge of your guitar tone.
    The Edge just makes me laugh.

10. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

[quote author=SGtone link=topic=20292.msg246614#msg246614 date=1266925038]
    I know exactly what you mean. It's the old cliché "less is more" but it's true.

Unless you want to cover U2. Then you'd need NASA mission control to be in charge of your guitar tone.
    The Edge just makes me laugh.
    [/quote]

Me too! ;D

[​IMG]

But not as much as this!!

[​IMG]

11. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Damn , all that gear and I still don't care for the guitar in U2. Sorry fans.....

12. Kevy Nova

I gotta say, the best tone I ever heard at a concert (even better than SRV) was Bonnie Raitt. She was plugged straight into a small/medium sized Fender amp that was sitting on a chair right behind her and mic'd. She sounded AWESOME!

13. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

The last couple times I saw Bonnie, she was using a Vox AC 30 and a Blues Jr.

14. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I am another fan of keeping it simple. With a good tube amp, pedals are kept to a minimum. My trusty boss stomp tuner, a keeley compressor and that is usually it. If I need to add a third, it would be an overdrive pedal if I had to go from clean to dirty in the middle of a song.

15. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

I used to use gain and overdrive pedals, as well as the channel switcher on my amp, but I stopped using pedals when I realized that I didn't need all that extra crunch, and then stopped using the footswitch after my amp crapped out on me at a gig and I was forced to use a single-channel amp.

Now all I've got is a delay in the FX loop, and I use my guitar's volume knob for everything else.

16. Kevy Nova

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=20292.msg246646#msg246646 date=1267008905]
    The last couple times I saw Bonnie, she was using a Vox AC 30 and a Blues Jr.
    [/quote]

I've heard that's what she uses now, good combination! I saw her in '89 and it looked like a Deluxe Reverb from where I was but I could be wrong. She definitely only had one amp though because it died on her halfway through the first song and her tech ran out with an identical amp and had her going just in time for the solo.

17. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron New Member

I prefer stomp boxes! Easier to use and I love it when it simple so don't need 300 differents effects in my chain!
    Also, I'm scaried by knobs, I hate tweaking ! I never had good experiences with multi. Too hard to change patches and the sounds are never great so I end up with a couple fo stomp boxes!

18. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I have both, and like them both for different reasons. For years I played my '66 Fender J-bass plugged right into a Fender Bassman Compact (1x15") no fx. no problems, liked the sound of the Jazz Bass. but just before I bought my SG, I had started experimenting with the tone of my acoustic guitar... tired of using a mic, wanting the sound to project farther when we play outdoors in a bigger venue. so I became a tone hound, a bit at a time. bought Fishman Elipse Blend system which uses both a mic inside the guitar and the piezo pickup under the saddle. That's where I was when I brought home my SG. Feeling like the acoustic was projecting better, but still needing something.

The SG is it, my friends. With that, I use a volume pedal, a Korg DT-7 tuner, then a MXR
    Dynacomp, and a Boss Blues Driver. Small pedal board, easy to pack & plug. My amp is a Roland Micro Cube. 2 Watts... *grins... I plug into that to use the JC Clean amp model, the chorus and the delay. From there, it's a line out to a D.I. box, and it goes to the sound man, and back to me in the monitor. If I was going to buy an amp to have behind me, it might be a Fender Blues Jr. (1x12) I like the sound of those, and I'll bet I could plug my SG right into that and be fine. Right now I can plug into a 300 watt powered P.A. speaker from my Roland, and it sounds great, lots of power clean and if I want overdrive, I step on a pedal.

oh and for my bass, I just bought a Line 6 floor pod. my favorite bass pedal up to then
    was the Boss Limiter/Enhancer, which is a great effect, smoothing out my worst habit, which is hitting an odd note louder than the others once in a while. Who needs that?
    But the Floor Pod has way more presets than I'll ever use. What I did with that was to go up and down from the default point, and adjust and save ten presets either way to sound the way I like, with small tweaks here and there for fun. Even that is way more than I need. But the Floor Pod is easy to use and save my settings, you can turn effects on and off without fuss, and it's noiseless (so far). so I like it. The guitar version is prolly like that too, so I'd recommend it to an SG jockey. You just hafta read the manuel, but at least it's written by people who actually speak English. If I can do it, you
    can do it.

19. LOTF

LOTF Member

After using stompboxes for years, I've gone to a Boss ME-70. The reason is simple: simplicity. I don't have to deal with a gigantic pedal board, daisy-chain power cords and/or multiple power supplies or those obnoxious little connector cables (which always seem to poop out at the worst possible moment). I can just pop the ME-70 in the computer case I have for it, sling it on the back of my electric wheelchair and I'm ready to go without having to get someone to haul it wherever I'm playing in their car. Additionally, it's easy to set uip on a chair or table immediately to my left where I can easily hit the pedals with my hand. Even the expression pedal is useful to me as I can work it with my hand as a volume control. I also like being able to set up patches and just having to press a button to come up with the sound I want. And if I get nostalgic for stompbox versatility, this thing can be set up to use like a stompbox collection (though you can't change the order of the effects).

Sound quality is quite acceptable, at least to me. The amp models work satisfactorily and can be bypassed. The effects are Boss effects, which most of my stompboxes were anyway. All in all, this unit pretty much gives me everything I'm looking for in effects and does so in a much more convenient and cost-effective format, especially when I put it in front of my AC-30 or Blues Jr. And it's awesome at home with my Champion 600. I'm not going back.

20. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

[quote author=LOTF link=topic=20292.msg254859#msg254859 date=1294137721]
    After using stompboxes for years, I've gone to a Boss ME-70. The reason is simple: simplicity. I don't have to deal with a gigantic pedal board, daisy-chain power cords and/or multiple power supplies or those obnoxious little connector cables (which always seem to poop out at the worst possible moment). I can just pop the ME-70 in the computer case I have for it, sling it on the back of my electric wheelchair and I'm ready to go without having to get someone to haul it wherever I'm playing in their car. Additionally, it's easy to set uip on a chair or table immediately to my left where I can easily hit the pedals with my hand. Even the expression pedal is useful to me as I can work it with my hand as a volume control. I also like being able to set up patches and just having to press a button to come up with the sound I want. And if I get nostalgic for stompbox versatility, this thing can be set up to use like a stompbox collection (though you can't change the order of the effects).

Sound quality is quite acceptable, at least to me. The amp models work satisfactorily and can be bypassed. The effects are Boss effects, which most of my stompboxes were anyway. All in all, this unit pretty much gives me everything I'm looking for in effects and does so in a much more convenient and cost-effective format, especially when I put it in front of my AC-30 or Blues Jr. And it's awesome at home with my Champion 600. I'm not going back.
    [/quote]i guess each to their own...if you are all about boss, then i guess thats the way to go, i can understand that...i have a gatorboard, and ive never had any issues with cords popping out, or really anything..except when my power cord went, due to wear, where the cord met the powerbox, i had to order a new one for $25...the old one i had wasnt designed very well, the new one came in 2 pieces, and is less likely to have the same problem i had...i use some boss stuff, the EQ and the flanger, but the other pedals i use, i dont think boss stuff equals imo...(the carbon copy, big muff tone wicker, and crybaby)...btw i use the champ 600 as my "be-kind-at-home" amp too, a very good amp ;)