Multi effects board or stomp boxes - that is the question.

Discussion in 'Effects' started by iblive, Jan 23, 2010.

1. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I will update my comment from a year ago because now I have added a 7 band eq to my simple pedal arrangement and love it. Really lets you fine tune the tone with the eq. So I use a keeley compressor, the eq and an overdrive pedal. Very basic stuff but all I really need. I use one of those little 3 pedal molded boards that makes it a snap to carry it around.

I also carry a boss stomp tuner but use that on a battery as a stand alone so it can be shared with others to tune up.

2. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

I have a love hate relationship with pedals, but for right now, mine go like this: Boss TU-2 tuner> Fulltone Fat Boost> old Ibanez Chorus> old MXR Phaser > MXR Carbon Copy > EH Nanoverb > BBE Sonic Maximizer > Radial Switch Bone > Amps.

3. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

What does the Sonic Maximizer do?

I've heard some people say they're the musical equivalent of a turd polisher.

4. guitarweasel

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=20292.msg255170#msg255170 date=1294683340]
    What does the Sonic Maximizer do?

I've heard some people say they're the musical equivalent of a turd polisher.
    [/quote]

Yes and no. It works well with a more clean amp like an AC-30, but it gives some extra bottom on a hi-gain amp. It also helps with articulation when playing chords. Here's a description:

The BBE Process-"What it Is"

Loudspeakers have difficulty working with the electronic signals supplied by an amplifier. These difficulties cause such major phase and amplitude distortion that the sound reproduced by the speaker differs significantly from the sound produced by the original source.
    In the past, these problems proved unsolvable and were thus relegated to a position of secondary importance in audio system design. However, phase and amplitude integrity is essential to accurate sound reproduction. Research shows that the information which the listener translates into the recognizable characteristics of a live performance are intimately tied into complex time and amplitude relationships between the fundamental and harmonic components of a given musical note or sound. These relationships define a sound's "sound".
    When these complex relationships pass through a speaker, the proper order is lost. The higher frequencies are delayed. A lower frequency may reach the listener's ear first or perhaps simultaneously with that of a higher frequency. In some cases, the fundamental components may be so time-shifted that they reach the listener's ear ahead of some or all of the harmonic components.
    This change in the phase and amplitude relationship on the harmonic and fundamental frequencies is technically called "envelope distortion." The listener perceives this loss of sound integrity in the reproduced sound as "muddy" and "smeared." In the extreme, it can become difficult to tell the difference between musical instruments, for example, an oboe and a clarinet.
    BBE Sound, Inc. conducted extensive studies of numerous speaker systems over a ten year period. With this knowledge, it became possible to identify the characteristics of an ideal speaker and to distill the corrections necessary to return the fundamental and harmonic frequency structures to their correct order. While there are differences among various speaker designs in the magnitude of their correction, the overall pattern of correction needed is remarkably consistent.

5. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Wow.... this thread kinda has had a life of it's own since I originally posted. Guess I'll add a couple thoughts.... for whatever that's worth.

I still have both... effects box and pedals. However, I've found that I don't mind using the effect box under the right circumstances.

What I've found is that plugging into the effects box (Toneworks AX5G) and running that into my little 5w Fender Vibra Champ with a single 8" speaker, doesn't sound half bad.... depending on what amp emulation I choose, etc. The AX5G has an expression pedal on it and I use it for volume. Lets me play with different sounds but keep the volume down. My wife has told me when I'm doing that I'm actually quieter than when I play my acoustic.

I still prefer stomp boxes in my 20w 1X12 for all the reasons everyone else has stated.

6. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

If your AC30 sounds clean up loud it's in dire need of repair .. the supreme wail can be coaxed out of dem :-\

7. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

[quote author=Voxman link=topic=20292.msg255179#msg255179 date=1294687333]
    If your AC30 sounds clean up loud it's in dire need of repair .. the supreme wail can be coaxed out of dem :-\
    [/quote]

Hey vox.... don't know if this was in response to what I said.... but as much as I'd like to, I don't have an AC30. :cry:

My goto amp is a 35 year old Traynor YGM3 with a single 12 in it. However, it can get stlll loud and dirty. Anything beyond about 4 has the neighbors calling the audio police..... or my wife throwing sharp objects at me when she comes home. ;D

8. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=20292.msg255162#msg255162 date=1294676073]
    now I have added a 7 band eq to my simple pedal arrangement and love it. Really lets you fine tune the tone with the eq.
    I also carry a boss stomp tuner but use that on a battery as a stand alone so it can be shared with others to tune up.
    [/quote]yeah the eq is really cool to fine tune..when i use my champ, it IS the only tone setter, so its vital..but when im playing a show, or practices(with my bigger amps), i just rely on the amps tone knobs, and use the eq pedal just for lead boosts...
    ive used a Fender stomp tuner all these years, and it's built well, works fine... i just got my daughter a Boss stomp tuner for Xmas, and i love it, and its my next pedal..

9. oldrockfan

one of the cool things about the white boss stomp tuners is you can change the way it tunes. It will toggle between different modes of tuning and is really a solid tuner for the bucks. I got so tired of guys all wanting to borrow it when I jam so I now run it off of a battery as a stand alone and never fails, everyone wants to use the boss tuner.

10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=20292.msg255201#msg255201 date=1294704648]
    one of the cool things about the white boss stomp tuners is you can change the way it tunes. It will toggle between different modes of tuning
    [/quote]

uh, please explain how this works....I still tune a lot by asking for an "E" from anyone else in tune. Thanks.

11. oldrockfan

in addition to the traditional guitar and bass tuning where it will show you the note and green leds show you when you are in tune... it also has a different tuning style where the leds stream and the stream slows down as you get closer to the correct pitch.

12. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=20292.msg255215#msg255215 date=1294709524]
    in addition to the traditional guitar and bass tuning where it will show you the note and green leds show you when you are in tune... it also has a different tuning style where the leds stream and the stream slows down as you get closer to the correct pitch.
    [/quote]

Thanks, that's all it is! I though maybe it was tuning temperments or something.

13. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

No no Ib .. what weas said about an Ac30 being a clean amp .. IT IS but it;s also a nasty little devil [size=8pt]poessing the supreme wail if it's running right,[/size] [size=7pt]which I mean wrong, er, which is very hot,[/size] [size=5pt]but not too hot which is wrong as it [/size] [size=3pt]then blows up unless you change the bias resistor [/size] [size=2pt]which was a servise bulletin in `64 which said ..... [/size] ;D

[quote author=iblive link=topic=20292.msg255183#msg255183 date=1294689064]
    Hey vox.... don't know if this was in response to what I said.... but as much as I'd like to, I don't have an AC30. :cry:

... or my wife throwing sharp objects at me when she comes home. ;D
    [/quote]

You mean like this?

[​IMG]

14. guitarweasel

[quote author=Voxman link=topic=20292.msg255269#msg255269 date=1294774584]
    No no Ib .. what weas said about an Ac30 being a clean amp .. IT IS but it;s also a nasty little devil [size=8pt]poessing the supreme wail if it's running right,[/size] [size=7pt]which I mean wrong, er, which is very hot,[/size] [size=5pt]but not too hot which is wrong as it [/size] [size=3pt]then blows up unless you change the bias resistor [/size] [size=2pt]which was a servise bulletin in `64 which said ..... [/size] ;D

[/quote]

Well no, not exactly what I meant. Mine hit's the sweet spot around 7. Then all hell breaks loose! ;D

15. LOTF

LOTF Member

[quote author=iblive link=topic=20292.msg255183#msg255183 date=1294689064]

My goto amp is a 35 year old Traynor YGM3 with a single 12 in it. However, it can get stlll loud and dirty. Anything beyond about 4 has the neighbors calling the audio police..... or my wife throwing sharp objects at me when she comes home. ;D
    [/quote]

I do have an AC30 but no wife to throw sharp objects at me.

I'm fine with that state of affairs. 8)

16. dylumph

dylumph New Member

I've got a Boss GT-6 and a GT-3 (BETTER). I play in a band with another guitar player now. I can't use these things in that situation. They turn my amp solid state, not able to blend. My amps conform to the venue. Small -Fender tweed HRD with a vintage 30, medium-Fender 59 Bassman ltd, Hall- Vox AC-30 TBX (Korg), Outside- HiWatt dr-103s w/ 4x12 cabinets. Solid state blending does not get it. It worked when I was the only guitarist but now I use a Boss tuner, Keeley compressor, ocd, Boss Chourus, Boss tremelo. and MXR Carbon copy analog delay, Boss RT-20 Leslie Simulator, Ernie Ball Wah. That will cover it all.

17. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I'm revamping my old pedals - got a new pedalboard on order. We'll see....

18. mikeystool

[quote author=dylumph link=topic=20292.msg257058#msg257058 date=1298207566]
    and MXR Carbon copy analog delay.
    [/quote]isnt that an awesome pedal...i got one months ago, and im loving it more and more...

19. dylumph

dylumph New Member

Yes it is! I love that mod button! All the rack mount digital stuff Yamaha Sp-90 and Boss digital delays stay in the studio!
    Back in the day, I hasseled keeping a echoplex in working order. Theres nothing like a tape machine but this is the closest I've found.

20. mikeystool

[quote author=dylumph link=topic=20292.msg257069#msg257069 date=1298238489]
    Yes it is! I love that mod button! All the rack mount digital stuff Yamaha Sp-90 and Boss digital delays stay in the studio!
    Back in the day, I hasseled keeping a echoplex in working order. Theres nothing like a tape machine but this is the closest I've found.
    [/quote]ya know, i heard about tweeking the screw for the mod button, i hardly ever use it...i take it you did this?? does it really change stuff up from the way it came stock..im already happy with it anyway..