MultiTrack Recording Questions!?!?!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by DLITB, Jun 5, 2008.

1. DLITB

DLITB New Member

Lemme first start off by telling you guys how I used to record, and then tell you what I want to be able to do...and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction....

I had been recording with a behringer eurorack mixer running into my M audio 2496 PCI...and I used a Line 6 POD for guitars and bass, which also went into the mixer then the PCI. I was using a program called N-Track Studio for all mixing. Although everything sounded decent doing it that way...I really want to be able to record drums to seperate tracks. All my drums were recorded to one track so I would have to try to mix them as perfect as possible before even hitting record. So i just got a new computer running Vista and I wanted to start again fresh with a new approach to recording...

I just purchased Sonar 6 from musiciansfriend...and Im now looking at interfaces that will allow me to record drums and get everything to seperate tracks, snare on its on track, kick on its own track...etc..What is the easiest way to do this...I dont really understand all this line in line out stuff. From what Ive read i think I need something with at least 6 outputs, but even then i dont really understand how each piece of the drum kit gets sent to a different track...so anyways...what interfaces should i be looking at? how easy are they to set up and use? and whats the cheapest way to do this?

2. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

the easy way is a digital drum set or you can use a multi track recorder for the drums seprate from the guitar/bass vocals mix

3. madguitarsolo

madguitarsolo Active Member

You can use a USB or firewire interface. You can probably get as many inputs as you need, up to 12 still in a decent price range. You plug the interface in through USB or firewire and then set it up with a program. When you record, the program will record on one track from the device and an input, then another track with another one of the inputs. You can get a simple rack interface with a gain knob up to a full mixing desk with EQ, sends, buses, panning and faders.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75258 - Here is an example of a USB mixing desk. 8 XLR or line inputs and 4 stereo line inputs.

4. ditto2

ditto2 Member

It may help me to understand a few things you will or will not be using .
    First I am aware you have new computer {I am a mac guy so not so familiar with pc's but that's alright}
    Will you still be using your eurotech mixer that I assume you would mix from the seq. you were using into the eurotech . Then you would mix song ???

And just to get you into the head of separate mixing . You say your drums went to one track .
    I am assuming you would record guitar and bass to two respective tracks ?
    This is the same in which you will do with drums .
    Think of the separate drums as separate instruments just like you again I am assuming have your one track of drums one track {or more} of guitar . SNARE will be on its own track by way of either a mic. if this is acoustic drum or by a line out of digital drums machine .

Anyway let me know what you are going to do with the euro tech ?

You everyone will say what has worked for them . So I will say that recently especially because I travel a lot and write . I got as MAD SOLO suggested a firewire interface {Firewire is the name of the connector you will use } One that is very cost efficient and for me works great is the Motu Ultralight . You can record something like 6 - to 8 inputs {should well cover your drums }
    and the outputs are 8 . That gives you 8 mono or 4 stereo . And you can depending on your seq. in the computer have many tracks that you will choose which of the 8 tracks they will go out .{for example I designate my drums which can be either digital or acoustic after recording to my computer to come out a stereo pair of tracks on my mixing board say channel 3 and 4 . So all drums and I run acoustic 1. snare to 3&4 2. kik drum to 3&4 3. overheads{2 mics.} to 3&4 4. room {2 mics} to 3&4. Now even though I will only have two tracks on my board that control volume and eq of over all drums . I have used the mixing board with in my sequencer to balance precisely the levels of the drums as I listen to them come out of my external mixing desk channels 3&4 . I do this with a lot of instruments . I may have 12 vocals going on the computer . And will use the sequencers mixing console to balance and pan and whatever . But I will set the outputs on the computer to go to channels 5&6 of my external mixing board .
    I sort of see you using your eurotech in this fashion .

Anyway answer the question about the eurotech if you want . And then tell me if you comprehend this mess I wrote if you do understand then maybe I can help you further . Or can retry . I am just trying to get back to work and writing as fast as I can with one and a half finger .

And then I can outline a basic set up for you . Really the most important thing {its all important }
    Is your front end . This would be your mics. your pre-amps that the mics go into and then from there should NOT go into board {unless is fantastic sounding board from 1960's or something that has character} You should as much as possible have mics OR LINES like your pod go strait into the computer . The less crap between what you are playing and the recording device the better .
    D

5. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member