Must have effect?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Sgfreak101, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

If you were givin a chance to have 1 effect and the cash limit was $300 What would you get?

I'm trying to figure out what I should when I want a lot of reverb and chorus type effects.

Or just buy the roland cube 60 and it will have the effect's I'm looking for?

2. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

pod xt

3. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

[quote author=vkgphil link=topic=18077.msg222026#msg222026 date=1226108402]
    pod xt
    [/quote]Really?

4. joker08641

joker08641 Member

Yeah, I swear by my Pod XT Live. That thing is a gigging musician's dream come true. Especially if your current gig requires you to cover more than one tone in a set.

Run that thing into a reliable 100W 2X12" all tube combo and you pretty much have EVERYTHING covered.

5. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

[quote author=joker08641 link=topic=18077.msg222029#msg222029 date=1226112231]
    Yeah, I swear by my Pod XT Live. That thing is a gigging musician's dream come true. Especially if your current gig requires you to cover more than one tone in a set.

Run that thing into a reliable 100W 2X12" all tube combo and you pretty much have EVERYTHING covered.
    [/quote]Treu true, but tone is in your fingers though :)

6. nynvolt

nynvolt Member

The only pedal I own is a line 6 echo park, it's an inexpensive delay pedal that covers quite a bit. It's allot of fun to mess around with. Going to have to check out that pod thingy now though. I just tend not to play with much effects at all, just a little gain. The delay is just to add a little thickness but it can make some trippy tones that are fun to goof with.

7. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

tonelabs are good too, you will likely need to get a used one for that price thou.

8. joker08641

joker08641 Member

[quote author=Sgfreak101 link=topic=18077.msg222030#msg222030 date=1226112312]
    Treu true, but tone is in your fingers though :)

[/quote]

Truer words never spoken! I guess I'm talking more about timbre. Last winter I was playing with a band that required me to switch from a Luther Perkins type tone on Johnny Cash "Big River" to a Dan Toler type tone on Gregg Allman's "I'm No Angel" in the same set.

My fingers weren't able to change the timbre THAT much LOL... the Pod helped. With one stomp on a footswitch and a flick of the pickup selector, my setup completely changed.

9. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

[quote author=joker08641 link=topic=18077.msg222049#msg222049 date=1226185295]
    Truer words never spoken! I guess I'm talking more about timbre. Last winter I was playing with a band that required me to switch from a Luther Perkins type tone on Johnny Cash "Big River" to a Dan Toler type tone on Gregg Allman's "I'm No Angel" in the same set.

My fingers weren't able to change the timbre THAT much LOL... the Pod helped. With one stomp on a footswitch and a flick of the pickup selector, my setup completely changed.
    [/quote]Hey bro, Does the pod also do backing tracks?

10. joker08641

joker08641 Member

I don't think so, SGFreak. It may do backing tracks and I'm just not aware of it.

They made the mistake of putting a USB interface on it, and that makes it super easy to control with my PC... there went delving into the manual and actually learning everything it can do. ;D It's just so easy to get it to do what I want it to that I'm still stuck on using it as a practical tool, and haven't even got around to trying to experiment with it.

11. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

[quote author=joker08641 link=topic=18077.msg222059#msg222059 date=1226194120]
    I don't think so, SGFreak. It may do backing tracks and I'm just not aware of it.

They made the mistake of putting a USB interface on it, and that makes it super easy to control with my PC... there went delving into the manual and actually learning everything it can do. ;D It's just so easy to get it to do what I want it to that I'm still stuck on using it as a practical tool, and haven't even got around to trying to experiment with it.
    [/quote]Hmmmm, Well I'll do what some of my friend's said to do, Go to GC with my SG AND PLAY WITH all the pedals until I like something right?

12. Arlabester

Arlabester Active Member

im so sick of people saying tone is in your fingers. its not. sure, a lot of it is, and you can change a lot of dynamics, but your not going to get a brutal metal sound with a stock plexi as compared to a mesa boogie.

but get a pod x3.

13. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

[quote author=Arlabester link=topic=18077.msg222066#msg222066 date=1226203885]
    im so sick of people saying tone is in your fingers. its not. sure, a lot of it is, and you can change a lot of dynamics, but your not going to get a brutal metal sound with a stock plexi as compared to a mesa boogie.

but get a pod x3.
    [/quote]Then tell me how how come I can sound just like Angus young with out trying? It may be the SG and it bay be the tone but it's basically your fingers and Technique.

pod x3 that may be a new model though?

14. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

[quote author=Sgfreak101 link=topic=18077.msg222030#msg222030 date=1226112312]
    Treu true, but tone is in your fingers though :)

[/quote]

Not to go off topic.......(har, har) Tone is NOT in your fingers, technique, yes, tone no. EVH is going to sound like EVH no matter what he plays through, same as Billy Gibbons, Jimi Hendrix, Angus Young and so on.

Case in point, go here http://www.guitarweasel.com/our_music.html Every song was recorded with an old 50 watt Plexi head, a Hiwatt 4x12 cab and a Fulltone Fat Boost using a 1960 Les Paul Special with P-90s except one, which was done with a 1957 Fender Champ, the fat boost and a 1962 Strat, you tell me which one was done with the Strat.

Also, check these two videos out, same amp, a Bluesbreaker, just different guitars and different playing styles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTk_3NNpnpk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKNbPeuOjIE&feature=channel

So to summarize, TECHNIQUE, not TONE is in your finger. OK back to topic. :)

15. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=18077.msg222070#msg222070 date=1226206557]
    Not to go off topic.......(har, har) Tone is NOT in your fingers, technique, yes, tone no. EVH is going to sound like EVH no matter what he plays through, same as Billy Gibbons, Jimi Hendrix, Angus Young and so on.

Case in point, go here http://www.guitarweasel.com/our_music.html Every song was recorded with an old 50 watt Plexi head, a Hiwatt 4x12 cab and a Fulltone Fat Boost using a 1960 Les Paul Special with P-90s except one, which was done with a 1957 Fender Champ, the fat boost and a 1962 Strat, you tell me which one was done with the Strat.

Also, check these two videos out, same amp, a Bluesbreaker, just different guitars and different playing styles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTk_3NNpnpk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKNbPeuOjIE&feature=channel

[/quote]Ok Ok Ok its technique :).

By the way I may sound like Angus but my guitar is stuck on SUCK.

16. guitarweasel

Might not be the guitar. ;D

[​IMG]

17. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=18077.msg222080#msg222080 date=1226208941]
    Might not be the guitar. ;D

[​IMG]
    [/quote]Haha great comic!

18. joker08641

joker08641 Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=18077.msg222070#msg222070 date=1226206557]

[/quote]

Guitar Weasel, your talking about a different aspect of tone... you're talking about the color of a particular tone, and I'm talking about the qualityYes, good gear makes a difference, but good gear is no garuntee of good tone. I'm not saying a Les Paul and a Strat have the same tone... I'm saying EVH would coax an awesome tone out of either... two distinct tones, but two good ones. His fingers (technique and proficiency) are the difference. You do like to stir the pot LOL 8)

19. guitarweasel

Joker, I think you may have misunderstood what I was getting at. The tone in your fingers IS technique and proficiency. Knowing what to do and where to do it plays a major role, having a light or heavy touch, phrasing, vibrato, muting all that stuff is what I was referring to. It doesn't matter what kind of gear you're using, the bottom line is you can emulate almost anyone but in the end you're going to sound like you......and that's what it's all about. :)

20. guitarweasel

..And while I'm thinking about it, the people who influenced you has a part to play as well. Someone who was heavily influenced by say, Albert Collins isn't going to necessarily sound like Joe Satriani. So IMO the whole "Tone IS IN Your Fingers' thing is a big Pandora's Box.

And SGfreak, there is no such thing as Sucking , it may be frustrating at times, but so long as it comes from the heart it won't suck. I'm not an overly religious man, but years ago someone told me that God gave you a gift, what you do with it is your gift to God.(Or whatever you believe in.....insert name here____)

Right now, my gift is killing all these damn spiders that keep comming in to stay warm...........I really hate spiders. ;D