Must have effect?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Sgfreak101, Nov 7, 2008.

1. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

Oh........The only effect I would want is a little splash of reverb. O0

2. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

3. joker08641

joker08641 Member

Weasel, I gotta swerve back to the tone topic for just a sec before we go back on the Must Have Effect topic, because the weirdest thing just happened...

As I was sitting here reading your reply, my Zune (on shuffle) fired off a live bootleg of Danny Gatton playing Sleepwalk. Then the next thing it randomly (sorta, there is an algorithm) played was a studio version of Sleepwalk by Larry Carlton. LOL No contest, but a hell of a contrast!

Danny's tone is big plate of spicy nachos, and Larry's tone is Cheeze Whiz on a Saltine. I've always hated that ES-335 + Orange Squeezer + clean Princeton Reverb sound :( Makes me think the next song in the set is the theme to Threes Company LOL

I'd still say technique effects tone... for instance if I shifted my picking hand back toward the bridge the fundamental tone of the notes gets more trebly, and thinner... if I shifted that hand down over the 12th fret and play the same note, the fundamental note gets bassier, rounder and fuller... I used a technique to affect my tone. To me, tone is something I hear, technique and gear are what produces the different tones. I think. I always reserve the right to be completely wrong :razz:

4. 74 Jailbreak

74 Jailbreak Member

Boss Blues Driver. Perfect for when you need that extra push over the cliff...

5. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

Tone is not all in the fingers, I think equipment plays a big role in how you sound. The music you make on the other hand is all up to you and everyone does that differently.   A good player can emulate anyone, case in point if you didn't know better would you think this had the actual players in it ?

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXk2ZrgcQM

6. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

hmmmm

my tone is in the tone knobs

:razz:

7. sgSter

sgSter Member

I think only you can answer the "Must have effect" question. It's really up to what you need or want. I don't really have an answer for you as I keep it uber simple. Guitar --> wah -- > amp (w/ a touch of reverb).

8. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

[quote author=sgSter link=topic=18077.msg222242#msg222242 date=1226432268]
    I think only you can answer the "Must have effect" question. It's really up to what you need or want. I don't really have an answer for you as I keep it uber simple. Guitar --> wah -- > amp (w/ a touch of reverb).
    [/quote]Sgster, thanks mate.

What I want Ias far as an effect's would be delay, reverb and an eq.

9. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I am one of those minimalists when it comes to effects but I sure like the keeley compressor. I should say I don't own one but have used them and love the way they sound. It is on my current wish list.

10. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=18077.msg222301#msg222301 date=1226503787]
    I am one of those minimalists when it comes to effects but I sure like the keeley compressor. I should say I don't own one but have used them and love the way they sound. It is on my current wish list.
    [/quote]I would like a sound demo on one of these and see how they sound, I would go to youtube but I'm sure the sound has been edited so many times before it gets uploaded.

11. sgSter

sgSter Member

I just re read your initial post.. the thread got side tracked a bit and my initial answer could have been a little more helpful. So, here goes.. Based on your original question, I would drive you towards the Cube 60. (note: i love the Roland amps!) It's got independent 'verb and Chorus effects with the addition a few other choice effects as well as very good amp modeling (IMO). :)

12. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

[quote author=sgSter link=topic=18077.msg222308#msg222308 date=1226514566]
    I just re read your initial post.. the thread got side tracked a bit and my initial answer could have been a little more helpful. So, here goes.. Based on your original question, I would drive you towards the Cube 60. (note: i love the Roland amps!) It's got independent 'verb and Chorus effects with the addition a few other choice effects as well as very good amp modeling (IMO). :)

[/quote]I know, I was thinking about getting the 60 and the batt powered street cube when I start street busking.

That way I will have all my effects and an amp as well.

13. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

yeah the microcube is LOUD. love that amp

14. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

[quote author=vkgphil link=topic=18077.msg222372#msg222372 date=1226535422]
    yeah the microcube is LOUD. love that amp
    [/quote]great for street busking.

15. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

the manual says you will get about 20 hrs time on a set of batteries. i contend that it is longer than that. i dont ever use the power adapter (you wont belive this but my dog ate it :oops: )

16. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

[quote author=vkgphil link=topic=18077.msg222391#msg222391 date=1226545080]
    the manual says you will get about 20 hrs time on a set of batteries. i contend that it is longer than that. i dont ever use the power adapter (you wont belive this but my dog ate it :oops: )
    [/quote]Haha, By the way nice hell boy av......

17. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

celebrating the new dvd release

18. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

[quote author=vkgphil link=topic=18077.msg222393#msg222393 date=1226545225]
    celebrating the new dvd release
    [/quote]blueray no dought?

By the way its a good movie and actress that plays the fire starter is smokin.

19. sgSter

sgSter Member

O0 on the micro-cube! There is something about those little guys that Roland got right. I'm talking about the original 'cubes, i have not played or heard the newer models however they look even more versatile.

20. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

[quote author=sgSter link=topic=18077.msg222444#msg222444 date=1226603215]
    O0 on the micro-cube! There is something about those little guys that Roland got right. I'm talking about the original 'cubes, i have not played or heard the newer models however they look even more versatile.

[/quote]I'm sure the newer model sounds just as good as the original :)