Must have effect?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Sgfreak101, Nov 7, 2008.

1. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

[quote author=Sgfreak101 link=topic=18077.msg222396#msg222396 date=1226545738]
    blueray no dought?

By the way its a good movie and actress that plays the fire starter is smokin.

[/quote]

nope regular dvd, havent invested in the blueray yet

her name is selma blair and you can see her on tv now in kath and kim

but as far as the cube, there are plenty of worst ways to spend $120. it even has strap buttons so you can walk around with it using another guitar strap on your opposite shoulder. cool idea i guess if you are strolling.

2. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

[quote author=vkgphil link=topic=18077.msg222450#msg222450 date=1226614328]
    nope regular dvd, havent invested in the blueray yet

her name is selma blair and you can see her on tv now in kath and kim

but as far as the cube, there are plenty of worst ways to spend $120. it even has strap buttons so you can walk around with it using another guitar strap on your opposite shoulder. cool idea i guess if you are strolling.
    [/quote]I will most likely be stationary.

3. IommiSG

IommiSG Member

A big THANK YOU to those who responded that all tone is NOT in your fingers. I get very frustrated when there's a discussion of equipment, and someone makes the dismissive comment that "tone is in your fingers". If that were all there was to it, there would not be a need for the miriad of amps, FX, and studio gear that continues to evolve.

Here's the best illustration I can offer. I manage and do studio production for a signed, major label compser/guitarist. (No, I won't name him, never do in a forum like this. Wouldn't be fair to him if I piss somebody off) He has a broad range of material, from Jazz-fuzion to prog to instrumental guitar ala Vai-Satriani-Liquid Tension. His signed vocal band is in the RUSH/Dream Theatre prog/prog metal genre.

At any rate, when we record, we often mic up his Mesa, but we record a direct track, no amp. This track is used for "re-amping". I'll bring in my Laneys, 5150, Marshall, or we might use one of several other amps available to us. I often prefer one range of tones for rhythm guitars and another for single note stuff. The point is, same player, same guitar, same technique, but the tonal variety of these amps is dramatic. We'll keep several trax of what we like, and I'll mix and match the amps in the stereo field. A Marshall, for example, has a cutting midrange, where my 5150 is all balls and chunk. Combined, they can provide a sound that neither alone can acheive. This is just a starting point, and leaves out the affect of a particular mic, mic placement, eq, compression, the room, the sound of the desk, how much analog vs. digital processing is in the chain, yadda yadda. These also play a huge part in the tone of the end product.

The affect of your technique is whole other discussion. Yes, great players can be recognized no matter what they play thu.

I couldn't begin to be able to suggest what one effect would be best for you, your style, and your ear, no matter the price range. Please pack up your guitar, go to a music store that has a broad range of FX, plug them one by one into the same amp you use, and let your ears be your guide.