MXR bass D.I. - would you?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Bettyboo, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

As a simple and easy to use option for both simple recording and an ultra small 'amp' to be thrown into the gigbag and used at gigs via the XLR output - would you use it? Anybody got one?

DaveD - you're a bass player and an MXR guy... Here in Korea, everywhere has either their own amps and/or a mixing desk, so using the Ibanez SR active preamp along with this MXR box, would it be ok?

I suppose there are other similar boxes which have stuff like headphones out and usb which is helpful for simply home recording; sending stuff to other band members, etc. Like this one:

[​IMG]

http://ashdownmusic.com/products/6/Pedals/9/Ashdown-Pedals/47/MiBass-Interface/

& this:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  2. Bettyboo

If the bass amp has an active preamp, then should a passive di be used (I think some of these have a switch between active and passive bass signal inputs).

There seems to be lots of options in this space - it'd be nice to go to rehearsals and stuff without carrying the amp around, aswellas just having an option in the gigbag that'll always work if a mixing desk/pa is available.

3. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Sorry I cant help Boo.

99% of the time I am straight bass into amp.

I did just get a Zoom B1 pedal ----its way to complicated.....I will use the Tube amp model and percussion accompaniment other than that.......no.

I also have a Behringer BD121 which has the same plug thing ---for going straight into a board or computer.
    It offers some nice effects........and is VERY affordable.....
    Again I never use the the thing.....got it for 15.00 used, but new in box....as the last bloke never used it----- see a pattern????
    [​IMG]

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...0017962-sku^[email protected]^PLA

4. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

I had one of these, traded it recently for a Peavey 115TX Scorpion bass cab.

I never liked the distortion on it much, and the 'color' thing was a bit scoopy. Based on my experience I would go for this one instead. It apparently has a better EQ and it's half the size. The only feature it doesn't have besides distortion (which includes a noisegate) is a parallel output, but I never used that on the M80 anyway. Personally I'd rather run a separate distortion and noisegate

But if you want a video review of the M80, check this out:

Bettyboo likes this.
  5. Bettyboo

Yep, that one looks good - thanks for your comments.

This video (of a similar product?) suggests that a speaker emulator is required.

6. Dave_Death

It depends. A cabinet emulator makes it sound like you have a cabinet mic'ed up. A D.I. just runs the bass sound to a mixing desk and then that goes straight to the PA. The D.I. that you can often use at gigs (or the mixer will put you through) just does that without the preamp control at all (i.e., the guy behind the desk controls the EQ).

I can tell you that you WON'T be able to hear the bass over the drummer with one of these boxes into a vocal PA at a jam room. I've tried it and the drummer completely drowned me out, except in one instance when the drummer had a really dead sounding kit and hit like a wimp.

Also without an amp behind you you will have no idea as to what you sound like except via the foldback speakers, so you'd better hope the mixer gives you enough there. Personally I don't like depending on some random clown behind the mixing desk that much ...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Bettyboo likes this.
  7. Bettyboo

Good info, thanks Dave.

Do you ever play with an in-ear monitor? Some of these devices have phones out, so you can use an in-ear monitor - I've never tried it, so have no idea how that'd work. I'd kinda presume it lets you hear your own sound onstage despite being close to the drummer?

Another question if I may... If I DI'd out to a mixing desk, could I then change my sound on the fly with the active circuitry in the bass guitar's preamp - presuming I can (which would likely piss off a sound guy?), is it effective? I suppose, depending on gig location, placement of speakers, etc, you may have no idea how you are then changing the sound in the mix as it appears to the audience?

8. Dave_Death

LOL I generally play at pretty punk venues, you are lucky to get foldbacks or even your drum kit through a PA. In-ear monitors never. They are in the same realm as wireless units for me.

Without some kind of way to hear yourself you are basically shooting in the dark with adjusting your EQ, whether it is the EQ on one of those MXR pedals or an on-board EQ in your bass.

Actually the only benefit I can see to wireless units is being able to go out into the crowd and hear the PA!

Bettyboo likes this.
  9. Bettyboo

Thanks, Dave - good to hear real experience from folks out playing. :D

I think I'll just practice more for the time being... :shock:

10. alexander paul

alexander paul Well-Known Member

i've used this on hundreds of sessions with numerous bassist on the svt setting with excellent results (happy bassist) into a universal audio la-610...

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/classic.html

i have a svp in my rack & the sans-amp is easy & amazing...

[​IMG]

Bettyboo likes this.
  11. Bettyboo

^ good feedback, thanks, AP. I'll have a look into those Tech21 products.

alexander paul likes this.
  12. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Boo---you going PRO????

13. Bettyboo

^ might have some gigs in a month or so, just thinking ahead... :D

The band has finally found a drummer although we haven't rehearsed with him yet. A few songs written, a few covers done, so maybe half a set (small set of 8-10 songs) coming along nicely. We plan to have another couple of songs added at the next rehearsals (pressure for the two songwriters, but that's what comes with stardom...:shock:), so just plodding along nicely.

14. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

WOW congrats man ......we will need a sound clip!!

(you need to get one of them 1000 watt bass amp systems to kick the drummer to the CURB lol)

Bettyboo likes this.
  15. alexander paul

Bettyboo likes this.
  16. Bettyboo

For the time being, imagine Kim and Cane using their finest talents to honk out Cream's Sunshine of Your Love - you're ballpark... :shock:

17. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I play with in-ears regularly. I have a love-hate relationship with them. On the one hand, it's great for the mix operator since it reduces stage noise that would result from a bunch of monitors on the stage. But, this can benefit the entire sound, as well, since all the stage monitors can end up creating just a din of noise that rolls out to the crowd. Of course, that is dependent on the venue, too. Larger venues or outdoor events won't be as much of a problem. Also, as Dave noted, wherever you move, you can still hear yourself.

But, Dave is spot-on when he mentions the issues with EQ-ing yourself. You will NOT sound the same in your ears as what's coming out of the PA. If you EQ yourself to sound good in your ears, you may end up sounding bad in the PA. There is also the issue of not feeling as connected to the rest of the band. I usually leave one monitor out so I can hear the rest of what's going on with one ear.

Vocalists tend to like in-ears more. It really helps them hear the other singers better.

Kep and Bettyboo like this.
  18. alexander paul

i get a kick out of people reacting to board/consul recordings/mixes because they are the inverse of the situation... if someone is to loud on stage than they are low in the pa mix & when listening to a board recording & hearing that they are buried in the mix respond with i need to turn it up... same applies to eq etc... i play @ a very low volume on stage & drown out the band in board mixes but you can hold a conversation around my stage volume...

[​IMG]

19. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

Good post Smitty and +1 about what you said about the monitors filling the room

20. Bettyboo

I was kinda thinking about the potential of using my own preamp/DI box, sending the DI to the mixing desk (or preamp signal to the amp),and using its headphone socket to give myself in-ear monitors (only putting one in, so I can keep with the ambiance/feel of the place while still easily hearing my own sound. Workable?