My custom scratch plate.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Born to Go, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Born to Go

Born to Go New Member

20170325_151314.jpeg Hello, my name is Sean.
    I've just joined because I love my Sg and I wanted to show you my new custom scratch plate.
    I wanted to create a personal look for my Sg 2016 T - P90 and contacted this guy called Tim from SCRATCH-IT! That I found on the Internet.
    All I had to to was to Email him my design and a scan of my old scratch plate and
    after a few friendly Emails my custom scratch plate arrived exactly one week later in the post!
    He can make any image you want into a scratch plate and I'm thinking of getting more for my Sg. You can change the look of your Guitar whenever you want.

Best wishes, (My first Sg was an Sg active)

Sean.

Raiyn, stringbender, Bettyboo and 2 others like this.
  2. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

Nice scratchplate! If you're going to have one, have a nice one :smile:

3. Born to Go

Born to Go New Member

Thank you Sir,
    My brother has a couple of reissues and an original '63 special. He spends a lot of time making the reissue guitars look like old ones but a 2016 p90 Sg is what it is. So I thought id make it original to me.
    I am waiting on some alnico slug pickups with nickel covers to try and get a funky blues cleanish type of sound.

4. Scootermuppet

Sounds promising, be sure to let us know how it goes... Oh, and pics too - the natives get restless if there's no pics :D

Dude likes this.
  5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

The P90S slugs didn't work well for me in my SG. Maybe the pup positions are not optimal compared to the LP they usually come in. I dunno ... Hope they sound good for you. What don't you like in the original P90 ?

Beautiful pickguard. What is it ? Polycarbonate with a printed image on the back ?

6. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

scratchplate - pickguard.... I love the different names based on which side of the Atlantic it's spoken.

7. Scootermuppet

Pickplate? Scratchguard? :smile:

As long as it does the job!

koaguilds likes this.
  8. BraveNewBat

BraveNewBat New Member

That's pretty cool looking.

9. Notes69

Notes69 Active Member

Cool looking scratchplate...makes it a unique looking SG. Oh, and welcome to ETSG.

10. Born to Go

Born to Go New Member

Thank you,
    Sorry they didn't work for you, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the slug pickups will give more upper mid range and clarity.
    I tend to head for a cross between the clean guitar sound on 'piece of my heart''Janis Joplin or 'Wind cries mary' ballpark.
    Perhaps both were played on Fenders? To be honest the first week I had this Sg I nearly returned it.
    It's only when I took out the PCB, changed the pots and wiring I appreciated it could sound more open.
    The original P90's are great but if you're intent on ruining your neck p90 by too much heat with a soldering iron whilst attaching sheided braid after removing Gibson 'plug and go' effort then it's time for a new pickup. Or a pair. I'm on a mission.
    Have mercy! ="DrBGood, post: 474286, member: 6486"]The P90S slugs didn't work well for me in my SG. Maybe the pup positions are not optimal compared to the LP they usually come in. I dunno ... Hope they sound good for you. What don't you like in the original P90 ?

Beautiful pickguard. What is it ? Polycarbonate with a printed image on the back ?[/QUOTE]
    Thanky

11. Born to Go

Born to Go New Member

I believe that the plate is perspex with the image heat bonded to the underside. The chap who made it has all the details on his website.

12. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

I say both. Just whatever rolls off the tongue the best at the time. I do the same thing with valve/tube and probably many other words

13. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Nice looking pickguard. :dude:

14. stringbender

stringbender Member

wow, what an interesting idea...very creative, looks cool!

15. DrBGood

Then look up two builders that will give you much better tone than the slugs.
    Tyson Tone an Sanford Magnetics. I have a set of both and I won't be looking for anything else for a long while.

Look this up.

16. Born to Go

Born to Go New Member

T
    Thank you for the link!
    I will have a look tonight.
    What sort of sounds are you heading for yourself?

17. DrBGood

Nothing in particular.

I just love the clarity of a P90, its sensibility to pick attack, the richness of its growl with a little gain/OD, how well it cleans up with volume tweaking, the almost piano like tones you can get with a good set, the quacky tone in the middle position if your pups are well balanced, the scooped wah like sounds with rolling back some treble on the bridge pup.

With all these qualities in a pickup, I'm not the least bothered with a little single coil noise.

When you can get this kind of tonal spectrum from the same pup, it suits me well.

Born to Go, syscokid and Bettyboo like this.
  18. Born to Go

Born to Go New Member

WowQUOTE="DrBGood, post: 474320, member: 6486"]Nothing in particular.

I just love the clarity of a P90, its sensibility to pick attack, the richness of its growl with a little gain/OD, how well it cleans up with volume tweaking, the almost piano like tones you can get with a good set, the quacky tone in the middle position if your pups are well balanced, the scooped wah like sounds with rolling back some treble on the bridge pup.

With all these qualities in a pickup, I'm not the least bothered with a little single coil noise.

When you can get this kind of tonal spectrum from the same pup, it suits me well.

[/QUOTE]
    Wow!
    I'm going to have a busy evening tonight, thank you so much for the clips!
    The tones you have described are what for the most part I'm looking for. My standard P90's are thick and woolly and don't do a low gain crunch. I'm after zing, chime and sparranggg from an Sg.

19. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

I've got plenty of that after my morning-coffee overload... :hyper:

20. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

AWESOME!