My DSL-50

74 Jailbreak

Reaction score
Hey all,

Quick thought. My Marshall DSL-50 seems to be dying a slow death. The sound isn't what I remember it being, and the tone seems sucked right out of it. I haven't made any mods to my signal path/guitars/the amp itself. The tubes seem to be fine. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I've decided after 2 months of deliberation that I am getting rid of this thing. Anyone want a DSL50/1936 cab? ;D

Zeppelin Rules

Reaction score
If you used to be happy with the sound then why not take it in to a tech and see whats wrong with it? That seems like a cheaper solution to me, unless theres something you're really anxious to try out. Although ultimately its a DSL 50 and theres tons of them out there if you decide you want it back.

TattooedCarrot

Reaction score
New tubes, I had one and they are good amps. Put some JJ EL34's and Tung-Sol Reissue 12AX7's and it will be a new amp.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
I have a dsl 50 head and marshall 4x12 and love mine. Only complaint is it really needs some volume to sound best so not suitable for home practice.

as for figuring out what is wrong, could be so many things hard to say. I'd say your best bet is to see if Voxy or one of the other tube amp gurus has suggestions. My humble suggestions would be swap out tubes with known quality ones to see if tube is an issue. Next do the tube tap test to see if sockets might be issue. Finally, do the chopstick testing (carefully) to check for bad connections. If none of those find a problem, it would be off to the repair guy.

74 Jailbreak

Reaction score
I ended up finding a very interesting solution: I replaced my power strip with a better one. Dear god, I guess the old one must have been short on the juice, but my tone is back!

oldrockfan

Reaction score
glad to hear it jailbreak! I know my dsl50 has been a keeper and unlike my last fender hotrod, doesn't go thru tubes fast.

Latest posts