My First SG! (And first post)

DJGranite

Reaction score
I had one of those about 12 years ago.
It was a nice playing guitar.
I put 3 Seymour Duncan pickups in it.
Still have the Epi pickups in a box in the closet.
I liked mine.
And I like your guitar too.

Bad Penguin

Reaction score
I have the same guitar, Mary, that's 2 years older then yours. Best advice I can give is to carefully pull the pickups, toss them in a box, and bury the box in the backyard. Then order a set of pickups, that the covers of the originals will fit on, and enjoy the guitar. The original pickups were..... umm... not good.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Best advice I can give is to carefully pull the pickups, toss them in a box, and bury the box in the backyard. Then order a set of pickups, that the covers of the originals will fit on, and enjoy the guitar. The original pickups were..... umm... not good.
Before you do that ... since you are just at the beginning of a fantastic journey ... take a screwdriver and play with the pickups height from the two ring screws. Bridge should get pretty close to strings. Neck the opposite, bury it flush to its plastic ring, or even lower. Your ears are the best here to judge it all. Adjust middle so it brings a different tone than the two others.

Play your guitar, don't worry about tone. Just play it. Learn. If after a few months or maybe more like a year, you find your tone could get better, then maybe it's time to invest in ... a better amp. If after that you're still not sure about it all, THEN figure out what you'd like for new pickups.

Those Custom are beautiful SGs, what a find for your first guitar !

Diesel Revolver

Reaction score
Before you do that ... since you are just at the beginning of a fantastic journey ... take a screwdriver and play with the pickups height from the two ring screws. Bridge should get pretty close to strings. Neck the opposite, bury it flush to its plastic ring, or even lower. Your ears are the best here to judge it all. Adjust middle so it brings a different tone than the two others.

Play your guitar, don't worry about tone. Just play it. Learn. If after a few months or maybe more like a year, you find your tone could get better, then maybe it's time to invest in ... a better amp. If after that you're still not sure about it all, THEN figure out what you'd like for new pickups.

Those Custom are beautiful SGs, what a find for your first guitar !

Thank you very much for the advice!

Von Trapp

Reaction score
Those are very good looking! From experience I can advice you to have a look at the thickness of the body where the output jack is mounted. That doesn't seem to have been a major point of interest in Korea so chances are it would be a good thing to reinforce it from the inside before you get a nasty crack.

Diesel Revolver

Reaction score
Those are very good looking! From experience I can advice you to have a look at the thickness of the body where the output jack is mounted. That doesn't seem to have been a major point of interest in Korea so chances are it would be a good thing to reinforce it from the inside before you get a nasty crack.
Wow, Thanks for the heads up!

laza616

Reaction score
Welcome!
You have a really nice SG! Perfect choice, this guitar is a monster.
If you are a learner there is no need to swap the pups right now but get the guitar to someone who will adjust the action and intonation for you
In case you have tunning stability issues, it might be because of this 19 years old nut and bridge. Think about it before changing the tuners, those old Epiphone are not that bad

DrBGood

Reaction score
In case you have tunning stability issues, it might be because of this 19 years old nut and bridge. Think about it before changing the tuners,...
Swap this swap that ... that guitar was played for decades as is. It must not be that bad. Tuning stability ? FIRST thing to check is how strings are wound around the tuner posts. That is often the culprit. This is the most stable way to do it.

Diesel Revolver

Reaction score
Swap this swap that ... that guitar was played for decades as is. It must not be that bad. Tuning stability ? FIRST thing to check is how strings are wound around the tuner posts. That is often the culprit. This is the most stable way to do it.

Actually I don't think it's been played much at all, it was my friends Dads Guitar and he originally let me borrow it around 2012 and I was gonna buy it off him, but I think I lost interest in learning guitar, (me being young and stupid with the "I'm never gonna be good at guitar" mindset) so I gave it back, I went round his a month or so later and asked about the guitar and he said the ground wire needed re-Soldering (no idea what happened) , anyway I asked him about the guitar last month as I really wanna start playing/learning again and he said it still needed Soldering! So I assume it hasn't been played much at all since 2012, i soldered the wire and cleaned the guitar when I bought it as it was filthy, I assume it had just been sitting in a corner the whole time, I got it for £200

Von Trapp

Reaction score
Welcome!
You have a really nice SG! Perfect choice, this guitar is a monster.
If you are a learner there is no need to swap the pups right now but get the guitar to someone who will adjust the action and intonation for you
In case you have tunning stability issues, it might be because of this 19 years old nut and bridge. Think about it before changing the tuners, those old Epiphone are not that bad

Or just look up how to do it yourself, it's hardly rocket science...

Diesel Revolver

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words and advice everyone! I'm very glad to know it was money well spent, I never knew it was such a sought after guitar!

Latest posts