My first SG (Gibson SGJ or Epiphone G400 Pro)? Help!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Tholennon, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Tholennon

Tholennon New Member

Hey guys,

Im new here and moving forward to buy my first SG after years of wanting it and being inspired by George Harrison tones on Beatles from 66' and post period...

Im going to get some used because here in Brazil we pay 5x for 1 u.s. dollar, :(, so, I researched a lot and from the Epiphones the G400 Pro got my attention..., but I found a Gibson SGJ from 2011 with almost the same value from the G400 Pro's i've been looking, and already loaded with gibsons ''select'' 498T e 490R pickups.

So, I would like to know you guys experiences about these both Guitar to help make my decision, .... I can say that the G400 Pro looks better and maybe got a nicer playability (??) but... the SGJ is a Gibson... right? :naughty:....

I will also install a maestro vibrola when put my hands in one of them...

2. Carrion

Carrion Member

but the poly finish will choke the epi .. me thinks SGJ :)

3. laza616

laza616 Active Member

Made in China Epiphone vs. Made in USA Gibson

Do not hesitate before its too late and the Gibson is sold. If the price is the same as for the Epiphone then go for Gibson

Photos?

4. Tholennon

Tholennon New Member

The price is not the same, but not much more for the gibson... in u.s. dollar would be like the difference of 600$ on the epi, and 900$... (using the Brazilian prices)...

GIBSGJ.jpeg

5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The SGJ was produced from 2013-14 only.
    The guitar in the photo is a 2013 SGJ.
    Blank headstock and no 120th anniversary inlay at 12th fret.

1st and 5th digits of serial number indicate last two digits of year. In addition, since 2008, the 4-digit year should also be stamped with the word "MODEL" below it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  6. Tholennon

Tholennon New Member

the serial is 116930693, maybe I got wrong about the year... the year label under the "made in USA" does not appear so well in the photo on the back from the headstock

Correcting by the serial it seems to be a nashville 2013

7. cerebral gasket

Serial Number Format

YDDDYBPPP
    YY = Year
    DDD = Day of Year
    B = Batch Number
    PPP = Production Number

8. MR D

MR D Active Member

RIGHT, GET THE GIBSON.......as long as its functioning properly and is structurally sound......YEP, Get The GIBSON.
    Whats the old slogan ? AH YES, "Only a GIBSON is good enough".

9. cerebral gasket

Food for thought...

G-400 has Slim Taper neck.
    SGJ has chunky rounded neck.

10. Tholennon

Tholennon New Member

I wonder which can get the lowest action possible...

The nut width are the same on both?

11. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Do you have a chance to try/play both ?

Some people have a definite preference with neck size and as wrote Mr Gasket, there is is a huge difference between those two.

Don't believe naysayers that say the poly finish will choke anything, that is forum folklore. The G400 Pro is not a cheaper guitar, it is a less expensive one.

I think both will serve you well. If you like the looks of the G400 better, it will incite you to play more. The G400 Pro comes with Alnico Classic PRO, which are great pickups and volume controls with Push/Pull for Coil-Tap.

No difference at all if well adjusted.

12. Tholennon

Tholennon New Member

Thanks man, yeah, I really should test the guitars before, mainly because I played strats all my life..., but unfortunately I won't be able to test any of both, unless I go to some music shop that offers at least of of these models..., which is becoming less common here where I live...

Also, I heard that the body on the SGJ is thinner, and the neck also as compared with another gib sgs... so is that right?

13. MR D

MR D Active Member

U kno, now that I think of it...I have heard some players say they would rather have a top of the line EPIPHONE (which I think the 400 you are referring to is) than a lower end GIBSON, which, IIRC, the SG 'J' model was/is...that is why I mentioned swappin Pickup's....

BUT, IWY, I would still go for the GIBSON, seing as you might be limited in the of types of guitars available in Brasilia.

14. Les’s Nemesis

Les’s Nemesis Member

I would definitely second trying them first. The Epi neck is much thinner. Some of the Gibsons are the baseball bats. Huge. Not for me, you might like them. See if you can find some locally to test.

I would buy the Gibson IF you like the neck and you can afford it. But the Epi is a nice guitar. Sometimes (always?) they need setup - but that seems to be true even of the new ones in the non-Custom price range.

15. Tholennon

Tholennon New Member

16. Tholennon

Tholennon New Member

yeah man... i'm actually considering taking the test in person, it will be the best decision before the real decision :D

17. Les’s Nemesis

Les’s Nemesis Member

If you've never played an SG, you should also know that the guitar sits differently in your lap. At first it feels like everything is too far to the left, but once your realize it's just how the curve sits on you leg, you can balance it out. But, it take a few minutes to get used to.

FWIW - I have the Epi and it's a very nice guitar. No complaints.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Tholennon likes this.
  18. Les’s Nemesis

Les’s Nemesis Member

You can use a scotch brite pad lightly on the neck if it doesn't work for you. After having used some of both neck finishes, it seems to vary with the specific finish in use. I had one gloss Epi that I couldn't stick with (or, actually, did stick!) - it got wet sanded. I have another that's just fine. My Norlin Gibby is glossy and is excellent. Maybe it's the quality (smoothness) of the finish layer.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  19. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

The SGJ is a superior guitar, imo. I have a number of Epiphones, including SG that I rate very highly, but I also own an SGJ and consider it to have the best action and feel of them all. The materials (maple neck) and construction are much better. If I have a complaint it is that the pickups are not hot enough to suit me and if I had another SGJ I would put in Dirty Fingers.
    1bksgj.jpg sgj3.jpg sgj.jpg
    I added Tronical type I tuners.

Tholennon likes this.
  20. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    It can't breath
    Seriously, the difference in thickness between modern finishes is not significant.

Les’s Nemesis likes this.