My first SG (Gibson SGJ or Epiphone G400 Pro)? Help!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Tholennon, Jul 19, 2021.

1. MR D

MR D Active Member

BRAVO, and CONGRATULATIONS ! the fact that you live in Brazil, and guitars and money can be hard to come by...to me, it seemed like a no brainer as long as the guitar is OK. Some un-asked for advice? Make sure to not leave your new GIBSON un-attended at a gig. I have been in the 3rd World with Gibson's in hand and someone always wanted to steal them, a few tried.....Fuckin Maggotts.
    ROCK THAT BAD-A$$ !!!

Tholennon likes this.
  2. Carrion

Carrion Active Member

i disagree :) both my epi Custom Pro and a LTD Willie les Paul felt like a a solid piece of plastic .. Mind you , I am OK with Fenders Urethane finishes :)

I think u could toss the epi on the moon for 50 years and that body will not change :)

3. Carrion

Carrion Active Member

you made a wise and thought through decision !! Congrates on the SG :) I have 2.. i used to swear by the big LP Standard ( 25 years) .. not anymore :)

Tholennon likes this.
  4. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I had to engage a few times to keep my guits, each time spotted the reflection in the car windows, so just before the bush whack put each one down w/ one shot each! But I was 27 then .... ah, to be young again .....

5. Kirk Dahnke

Kirk Dahnke Member

If you like it and can afford it go with the Gibson. Epiphones are always "good for the money" and I've played many.

Carrion likes this.
  6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    As you may see, the guitar lacks the organic, living material to breathe.
    [​IMG]
    Since most electric guitars are made of solid or laminated (and quite dead) wood their need for air is limited to the atmosphere pushed around by the speaker. I had a customer recently who went on and on about the "lacquer" finish on a repaired bass. I let him expound on it for several minutes. After he happily took his bass home, I took my son aside and showed him the bottle of oil I had used.

Carrion likes this.
  7. Carrion

Carrion Active Member

I've played some great epis :) I had a beautiful Black Beauty Les Paul Custom .. loved that unit :) paul_Bsmall.jpg paul_4.jpg

8. Carrion

Carrion Active Member

I agree with your science :)

my thing with the "finish" is the feel is gives me.. it feels different , so i believe it is :) MY 2018 SG Standard in Ebony is hi end nitro .. so smooth it could feel "epi-ish" haha. but yet I know it is not . My Faded Traditional SG has a flash satin nitro , basic raw , on no grain fill. the guitar's unplugged sound it a good 30% - 40% louder than my unplugged Polished Nitro Standard . why is that??

g1.jpg g2.jpg

9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Feel is quite a different issue than respiration. I have a "G-400 Vintage" that has a very thin poly finish that is almost indistinguishable from the nitro on my Gibson fadeds.
    I sometimes wonder why the thin poly formulas available are not more widely used.

Carrion likes this.
  10. Carrion

Carrion Active Member

i assume due to the cheap fast dry they think they are giving us value? "DON"T SHORT ON THAT SUPER GLOSSY GOODNESS !! right boss .. " haha

That said , my 1991 Strat Plus has a urethane coat , and feels like nitro .. looks great !!

humans are chock full of egos and bubbles :) its hard to rym with the reason :)
    tweed_0.jpg

11. Les’s Nemesis

Les’s Nemesis Member

Yes, if you're used to Strat brightness, it will take some getting used to. It's a different sound with it's own beauty. Instead of Jimi tones you get BB King tones. But after you play for a few minutes, your ears will re-tune.

You also need to EQ your amp differently for HB's. You might find an EQ pedal a feature... or even just a clean boost running even with bass/treble adjusted to boost the top a little and cut the bass a little.

Tholennon likes this.
  12. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Les’s Nemesis likes this.
  13. Kirk Dahnke

Kirk Dahnke Member

I've always wished Epiphone would do a "raw" series. Meaning without the ridiculous goop they slather them in and the silly photo flame top pictures underneath the goop. Obviously, some people think that crap is real but I think the finish really holds back the tone/feel. A light finish clear coat plus the new headstock and I'm a buyer for sure. I really couldnt care less about how ugly the wood is underneath. I just want a guitar that doesn't feel plastic. I've owned 3 epiphones. By far the Sheratons were the best but still. "only good for the money"

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  14. Kirk Dahnke

Kirk Dahnke Member

Personally I would leave the finish alone. First thing I would do is have your tech cut you a proper bone nut. Gibson still uses plastic. Second would be the pickups if you can't lower them to get what you want. Tons of good used ones come up on eBay or you could get these. I was impressed and much closer to an old SG.

Tholennon likes this.
  15. Piper68Special

Piper68Special Active Member

Kirk Dahnke likes this.
  16. Kirk Dahnke

Kirk Dahnke Member

Yeah, I really like the 2020 Epis. unfortunately quite a few of them suffer from severe QC issues concerning the frets. And Epiphone won't do anything about it unless you take it to an official Gibson repair center. Which there isn't one in my area. I'm glad you got a good one. I ordered an Epi Firebird in January and had to send it back because the frets were ridiculous. Got another one and it was pretty much the same. At that price, plus tax and shelling out for a fret job made it not a good deal. I ended up getting a used Gibson 70s tribute SG for the same price I would have paid and I love it. Sucks that they made so much progress in the last two years but QC seemed to be the last thing on their mind. IMHO.

17. Tholennon

Tholennon New Member

Nice, I asked my luthier to put a graphtech black tusk nut, still waiting for him to finish the work to finally put my hands on my new guitar! hahah

18. Kirk Dahnke

Kirk Dahnke Member

Yeah, most tuning issues are because of a badly cut nut. I've had my tech cut new nuts and I can leave my guitars for weeks and they'll still be in tune.

19. Tholennon

Tholennon New Member

Hello again friends!

So... yesterday I took from the luthier services... and man... this guitar is awesome!!

Now with the new graphtech tusq nut, and 010 elixir strings and properly set up, it feels like a brand new guitar!

I just can't spot playing it! It took a short time to get used to the neck that is so comfortable, and play so smooth, its very easy to play. So, im glad that I made a good deal on this guitar.

About the pickups, they sound great too, just like I was expecting from the humbuckers...

Thanks for all your advices!

tholesg2.jpg

20. MR D

MR D Active Member

CONGRATULATIONS ! NGD are always a GREAT time !!! Not being able to wait until you get to play it again and actually missing a guitar when not playing it.
    IDR if your the original poster but if you are , you made a good choice..as the old GIBSON advertising slogan stated......"Only a GIBSON is good enough !". I have always agreed w/that one. This is despite many players saying that they would rather have a Top-of-the-Line Epiphone than a lesser than Standard Gibson model.NAH.

Tholennon likes this.