My first SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by tjack89, Sep 23, 2021.

1. tjack89

tjack89 New Member

I’ve finally got an SG standard after wanting one for almost 2 years, and I absolutely love it to bits.

BE611042-42DC-43F8-8369-4768F40C3EA9.jpeg What I got is an Ebony 2016 SG standard which has had the pickups swapped for a Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz set.

E81100EE-655E-4FA0-BE13-B2C33D4E0B77.jpeg

is this a better set than what comes stock? Ive never heard the original pickups and wasn’t sure if they were worth trying (I’d have to buy a set) or are the JB and Jazz set a big step up?

And I’ve not worked out how to make the pickups sit so they are angled to be parallel with the strings… which I’m sure isn’t a big deal, although I think the pickup surrounds on a 61 standard ensure the pickups are sat parallel so presumably there is good reason to try to get mine sat parallel?

4CD25FE6-AFCB-4B98-B539-E0ACB0504F33.jpeg

i was struggling to get the neck and bridge pickups balanced nicely, audibly. it may be sacrilege or just plain stupid but I reversed the bridge pickup and wound the poles out a couple turns and it now sounds perfect.

I’m stoked to finally have an SG, and if anyone can offer any advice that would be great thank you!

Eset, football27, Joe DeVille and 4 others like this.
  2. MR D

MR D Active Member

Congratulations on your SG !

Lots of players put Mounting Rings on the Bridge pickup to get the Bridge Pickup to be more parallel to the strings. IDK why GIBSON has never done this but it is not difficult to do and I think there is even a thread on this website about 'How to...'.The idea may have come from ANGUS YOUNG, as he has was the 1st player I kno of that did that.

IDK what pickup's were in the 2016 SG STandard off-hand but if it was the 490/498 series Gibson's, you may have done yourself a favour getting an SG w/Duncan's, IDK, I prefer stock GIBSON Pickup's as long as they are anything other than the 490's.

tjack89 likes this.
  3. tjack89

tjack89 New Member

thanks!

It hadn’t even occurred to me to put pickup rings on as well as the pickguard, pretty obvious solution to a silly problem that gibson really should address, it would be so easy!
    I was going to get some firm-ish foam and put it under the pickup and hope it pushed the bridge sides of the pickups up but that would be mostly guesswork…

I’ve read your right that stock should be the 490 and 498 which I had in an old les Paul studio a while ago which I quite liked when I dropped the pickups and wound out the poles a bit, it seemed to brighten them up. Before doing that I found them dark and inarticulate

So far I’ve not really done enough with it to know if the SD pickups are great or not, immediately they struck me as more articulate and sensitive to playing than the ones in the studio I had but that’s only from memory. they sound good at home volume. Il stick with them and see what they’re like for a couple of gigs, I’m sure they are very good.

4. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Those pickups are kind of classics and many swear by them. They're not better, just slightly different. But, as with all pickups, if you put some stomp boxes in the mix and fiddle with the controls on the amp you can get most any sound you like so in that case I wouldn't worry about that. The pickup doesn't have to be parallel to the strings so that's a none problem but if it bothers you then yes, go for the surrounds. I personally think it looks better. Or stick a piece of foam, like a scotch brite, underneath them. But as you 've been fiddling with the pickups I figure you know what you're doing. Guitar looks great.

Edit: I was too slow

Go Nigel Go and tjack89 like this.
  5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    ruster1 and tjack89 like this.
  6. MR D

MR D Active Member

It looks like the Mounting Rings on the Bridge Pick-up in the bottom picture doesn't have height adjustment screws, OR am I just not seeing them ? If they aren't there, how is the pickup's height adjusted ? HHMMM.....someone else here mentioned not getting the Stop-Bar screws and GIBSON sent them out right away w/replacement Stop-Bar too....is that one of the new T.I. 'Monkey's ?

I have not seen one of the 'Monkey's in person, but IIR correctly you mentioned its your favourite SG out of all you've owned/played, yes? The two fav's 4 me, out of a dozen or so, are the 2017 SG Standard w/57s....followed a surprisingly close 2nd by one particular '79 SG 'The SG' Standard. Both excellent guitars when set up right, total Slayers. But the '17 is really just an all round better guitar. When the Ebony board on the '79 developed a few slight cracks, I sold it...not a heartbreak but finding another w/that tone has proved difficult. The wood combo of Walnut and Ebony gave those 'The SG's a tone all their own. GIBSON seems to nail things more often than not but do not always stick with great ideas. Example: GIBSON, rather than perfecting, just discontinued, the adjustable NUTS on the 2015 'G-Farce' equipped SG Specials w/wider adjustable brass NUT (1-13/16" ?)..I really thought that adjustable NUT was a really GREAT idea........and then GIBSON just stops making them, FFS !

7. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Nice guitar! As others have said, you seem to know what you are doing, and I have no doubt you will get her set up to your liking in no time. As for the pickups, I think most of it is going to be set up. Your pickups should be quite good, so I seriously doubt it will be worth your while to locate and buy a set of originals. As for getting things sitting parallel to the strings, I am like you and would probably do something about it. It may or may not affect the sound that much (as some have said), but it would bug me and should be an easy afternoons work on the bench to improve it significantly. You are already on the right track.

tjack89 likes this.
  8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I can answer that in the "New" Iommi SG thread. Don't want to hijack this new guitar thread.

https://www.everythingsg.com/threads/“new”-iommi-sg.38082/page-9

9. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

Congrats! The bridge side of the humbucker is brighter sounding. Looks like you prefer the warmer side. If you level it with the strings, you’ll get more of the brighter side. Have fun!

tjack89 and Torren61 like this.
  10. Torren61

Torren61 Member

I didn't read the previous comments because I wanted to post this before I do. Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz are, IMHO, the best value for the dollar you can get even if you double the price. They are a perfect balance.

If you ever decide to swap them out, I would get Duncan Antiquities and a solderless SG kit from MojoTone. However, keep what you have there. VERY good choice by the previous owner. Definitely an improvement over stock.

Chuteboxehero and tjack89 like this.
  11. tjack89

tjack89 New Member

Thank you all for your replies, I’m really loving it so far and am hoping to spend more time working on it and playing it at the weekend.

I will be sticking with the SDs, I’ve been babysitting a shergold for a mate recently and it’s got a JB in the bridge too, I’d been enjoying that pickup in his guitar for a few weeks before mine even showed up.

The jazz in the neck of mine is an incredibly powerful pickup, very deep and LOUD. Would like to tease a tiny bit more brightness from it if I can, I’m willing to put the time in!

thanks again

12. Von Trapp

A novel approach to foruming...

tjack89 likes this.
  13. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Nice Ebony SG Standard, but don' t use pickup ring on the neck position HB, pickup ring is larger than pickguard, awful.

Temp 47729.JPG

Prefer a Gibson ABR-1 conversion ;-)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    tjack89 likes this.
  14. Torren61

Torren61 Member

That was your takeaway? I read the other comments after because I didn't want to be influenced by someone before.

tjack89 likes this.
  15. Von Trapp

Yes, that was my takeaway and still is. Why don't you just PM the OP then if you're not interested in joining a discussion and hearing what other people have to say?

16. Torren61

Torren61 Member

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  17. Von Trapp

Yes, that's exactly what I read when I was busying myself with paying attention and thus exactly what I was referring to. Nice pun though! I fear you took my comment as way more hostile than it was intended.

18. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

I have had 2 Epi LP's that have had either the Jazz/JB combo or a set of Antiquities and both had killer tone. Really fantastic set of pickups and you really can't go wrong with either.

tjack89, Torren61 and Go Nigel Go like this.
  19. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Congratulations on getting an excellent instrument. Lots of players on this
    forum replace stock pickups with SD hum buckers. I'd say rock that sucker...

My suggestion for leveling the pickups with the strings keeps it simple...
    Get some stiff foam, and cut a couple of pieces so they will fit under the bridge side
    of each pickup.

Under the neck p'up, about 20mm thick. Under the bridge p'up, about 25mm thick.
    You'll have to take the bridge off as well as the pick guard. So do it next string change,
    or when you want to tweak the setup. The stiffer the foam, the more it elevates the rear
    of the pickup.

Some pickups are more sensitive to being level with the strings, some are less so.
    Which might be why Gibson doesn't fuss too much about it. Gibson 490 pickups respond
    really well to the effort of being level with the strings. I don't know about the SD set...
    If you love the tone of your guitar, maybe it doesn't matter.

If you love the tone of your new SG, don't fuss with it too much, you might screw it up.
    *laughs
    But I know about that too. Welcome to the Monkey House.

tjack89 likes this.
  20. tjack89

tjack89 New Member

I actually had another go at setting the pole pieces, I read an article about how to stagger them and it’s responded well to that. I love it, I’m used to single coils and jazzmasters so it’s a big change and I’m thoroughly enjoying it

Von Trapp likes this.