My First Tele

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by plankton, Jan 6, 2021.

1. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

This came up for sale fairly inexpensively, and I've always been Tele-curious, so I grabbed it. It's a Harley Benton with a nice looking "rosewood" veneer.

First impressions are good. I really like the bridge pickup, very different to a Strat's bridge singlecoil. I now know why people use the word "twang" when discussing the tone of these things, but it's pretty rocking too. The neck pickup is less inspiring, but sounds good with some gain (and fuzz) playing bluesy lead stuff.

It's quite comfortable to play and solidly built. Has a nice Wilkinson compensated bridge and the other components aren't overly cheap. Definitely a keeper, so different to all my other guitars.

[​IMG]

2. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Beautiful! And don't be afraid to hit some high-gain with it - you might have to tame the treble with the tone control or the amp's EQ a bit more than you would with a humbucker, but lemme tell you, that bridge pickup will snarl and spit some heavy stuff with the best of 'em.

plankton likes this.
  3. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Nice! I know what you mean...I currently own two SGs and don't need anything else. But if I ever buy another guitar in the near future it might well be a Telecaster for some variation. There is just something special about them...

plankton likes this.
  4. Flaps

Flaps New Member

Looks good! A mate of mine's just got a HB Flying V, he's happy with that.
    I've just taken the plunge on a black Mexican Tele, i've wanted a Telecaster for some time as I think they look cool but are different enough to the SG so i'm hoping both will still get some use. I fancied the more expensive models but decided they probably wouldn't be worth double or triple the cost of the one i've ordered, yes there will be differences, but £1000 worth? Plus I only play for a hobby in the spare room.
    Hard to say no when it's on a sale and also available on 0% finance :)