My Gibson SG Monkey Repro

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Russell Rubman, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Russell Rubman

Russell Rubman New Member

So I knew that the $25,000 Limited Monkey was going to be a bridge too far for me and so I started about making my own reproduction. Little did I know that Gibson was going to drop a more affordable Monkey tribute just recently....DOH!

Anyway, I believe that mine has a more special ingredient than that model....LOVE :-)

Vintage repro harness
    Copper lined cavity
    vintage style Witch hat knobs
    Yanked the bridge and added a Tonepros tailpiece
    (had to countersink it a bit to get the action right)
    Custom made reproduction pickguard, pickup rings and tennon
    John Birch Simplux and Superflux pickup replacements
    Gotoh "Iommi correct" tuners
    Monkey sticker (of course)

1.jpg

I'd say that she is now a tone machine that plays and sounds a damn sight better than the Iommi Monkey tribute that Gibson just released...so it was worth the effort.

What do y'all think?

2. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Sweet! I really like the TonePros bridge. I have one on my home built guitar and it's awesome.
    Nice job!

3. Russell Rubman

Thanks man. She started life as a Gibson Cherry faded 60's tribute or some-odd name. I forget.
    New lease on life for the old girl.

4. Torren61

Torren61 Member

I like it. Looks classy and functional and not kinda weird.

pancake81 likes this.
  5. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

That looks like a very capable rig. The mods are functional, purposeful, tasteful, and look well done to me. Just a nice player's axe all around.

6. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Well done, are you sure this is not Iommi' s SG ? :D

What is the process to install the wraparound bridge?

Torren61 likes this.
  7. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

this is awesome, great work. How hard was it to install the bridge? And where did you source your witch hats?

Torren61 likes this.
  8. Russell Rubman

Had to dowel and re-drill for alignment and countersink to lower it since it was riding too high (one might say that it was "a bridge too far" LOL). The Witch hats were straight from Ebay. You just need to buy Bakelite ones or the cheap plastic feel will make you sad.
    Thanks for all the swell comments fellas....you really know how to make a sailor blush!

papagayo likes this.
  9. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

That’s some great work there, congrats man!
    Although, I have to ask, have you a/b the guitar against the Iommi Special? Just wondered as you said it sounds better than the Gibson…

10. Russell Rubman

Yes I have, although not side by side.
    The Iommi Special uses standard Gibson P-90's with chrome covers and a modern harness. Mine uses the John Birch pickups that were used by Iommi and were also contracted for the Ultra Limited Iommi Monkey guitar that Gibson was previously hawking at $25,000. Birch pickups are wound and wax potted by hand. My harness uses the Bumblebee caps, 500K CTS pots, Switchcraft jack and cloth covered wire. The difference in sound quality is immediately noticeable.
    Also, just as a side note, they threw on that wraparound bridge without any care for height or adjustment. The strings ride too high and there is very little adjustment possible. Overall, whatever one might think of my modded beastie, the Gibson one is definitely a B/B- IMHO.

Grizzlyman likes this.
  11. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Cool man, really appreciate the detailed answer there. Sounds like you did an amazing job on that. Really awesome that you got a chance to play the monkey special too. Sadly sounds like Gibson dropped the ball a bit there, although the ones I’ve seen have had a lovely wood grain and nitro finish, so I guess that’s one thing.
    I have a faded special myself that I converted to lefty, stuck on the monkey sticker added some funky pickup covers, but it’s nowhere as sweet looking as yours! Sounds nice though! 6155C7DB-9050-49C3-AC2C-A51BC50FF4FD.jpeg

JackStraw likes this.
  12. Russell Rubman

Oh yeah...they definitely look great, no question there. I also miss the one thing I couldn't do, which is the neck binding!
    Hey though...sometimes perfect is the enemy of great ;)

Grizzlyman likes this.
  13. MR D

MR D Active Member

oops

14. MR D

MR D Active Member

Yeah, doin a Neck Binding is beyond my capabilities too. IDK anyone personally that can actually do that . Its a skill unto itself.
    Great job that you turned an old Tribute into a BRUTE ! NICE ONE !
    Only have one question: Are the 'Correct' Tuning Machines for an Iommi 'Special' Sperzel T.M's ?..I've seen them on one of his Guitars, IDR which one, "The OLD BOY" was it? IDR but I figure he has 'em on a few, maybe ?

Grizzlyman likes this.
  15. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

The binding on those does look particularly good!!!!

16. skelt101

skelt101 Well-Known Member

The Gibson Monkey guitar has no-name Schaller-style tuners. (I'm not sure of the brand.) The JD Old Boy has Sperzel tuners.

17. Mario St DeHaven

Mario St DeHaven New Member

Bro, the way you reshaped the pickguard is pure genius. It put an entire new slant on the axe, and you also did it so that the post holes converge symmetrically with the entire new layout, resulting in a work of art. Good job bro.

18. MR D

MR D Active Member

I C, TNX Skelt, so the new Signature has the "CORRECT" T.M.'s ? Normally on an SG I wouldn't care as much as long as the neck isn't a Dive-Bomber......but on a Signature 'Replica' type Guitar it helps if specs are accurate as possible. Recently it was between the MONKEY 'SG' and a FLYING 'V', went with the 'V'...but that 'MONKEY' is probably NEXT if GIBSON keeps production going ! Have yet to hear a bad word about one.

Grizzlyman likes this.
  19. Russell Rubman

I had thought that the ones he used were Schallers as well but I couldn’t find a set that visually aligned. Someone advised me that his guitar tech had them in a drawer and even he didn’t remember what brand they were LOL so these Gotohs were the ones to use because, at least visually, they matched.
    I tried playing Snowblind on the Schaller set and couldn’t do it. That’s how I confirmed :rofl:

20. skelt101

skelt101 Well-Known Member

What about these:
    https://www.mojotone.com/Mojotone-3-Per-Side-Machine-Heads-Ivoroid-Chrome-Set-6
    https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/tuners-sealed-center-screw-mount-schaller-style-knob-3-side