My Iommi tribute guitar

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by chopp3r, Mar 21, 2007.

1. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

Chopp,
    The only reason there is a P-90 in bridge position is because John Diggins removed a Birch Pup from it, a John Birch Magnum to be exact.

As for not "having Humbuckers in his guitar", Every JB Pickup , with the exception of the "Simplex" is a true HB.
    here is a scan for a JB catalog with all of the pickup discriptions

I had John Diggins of JayDee Guitars in the UK rewind my bridge "Hyperflux" to the "Magnum" specs. It ohms out at 24k ohms, which, BTW is what the original Magnum reads ! ;)

[​IMG]

Check out this close up of the original, you'll see the neck pickup is a JB

[​IMG]

2. chopp3r

chopp3r New Member

Hmmm. Thanks BW.
    I wonder when the modifications were made though? Like I want to have mine closest to what was used on the first 3 albums (even though I think his tone and sound has been pretty damn consitent throughout the years=badass.) But ya know I might build another one for the humbucker version ;).

3. gwydion

gwydion Member

Man.. ok how do those pig-90s sound? I almost got those for my sg classic...

4. chopp3r

chopp3r New Member

hmmm I like em. They are hot, and bassy. I will try to post clips soon. The biggest bummer is I can't really record anything on my home rig with em cause they really pickup my crappy hum-laden house wiring.
    At rehearsal with the noise gate and all its... bearable. =)
    FWIW I am not used to single coils at all though really. And I like a lotta gain!!

5. gwydion

gwydion Member

Cool I'd love to hear some clips!!!
    Post them if ya can!

6. Number51

Number51 Member

[quote author=chopp3r link=topic=12856.msg168097#msg168097 date=1174765789]
    Hmmm. Thanks BW.
    I wonder when the modifications were made though? Like I want to have mine closest to what was used on the first 3 albums (even though I think his tone and sound has been pretty damn consitent throughout the years=badass.) But ya know I might build another one for the humbucker version ;).

[/quote]

I've been reading old posts trying to find the same answer. brucewayne131, you seem to be the board's Iommi expert. Can you shed some light on the subject? Did Tony's SG have Birch pickups all along, or did he use stock Gibson P-90s on any of the early Black Sabbath albums? Also, is there a site that gives details of Tony's gear through the years?

Thanks,

Number51