My music (if you can call it that)

Discussion in 'Jams, Audio & Video Performances' started by spacefuzz, May 8, 2007.

1. spacefuzz

spacefuzz Member

Going through the audio forum, it's so interesting to see (hear) the varied styles and genres everyone plays. Such an eclectic mix!
    Anyways, I shall now bore you with my talents (or lack thereof). My current project:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=699237

I apologize for any sloppiness, but I never intend to record anything too polished, these are pretty much just guides for the rest of the band to learn the material. Besides, most of these were recorded between midnight and 5 AM over the last 2 months, so by 4 AM, I've had so much coffee my hands are a bit shakey! (It's no excuse, I should practice more). Anyone else into Stoner Rock, Doom, Sludge?

2. SG_Supreme

SG_Supreme Member

You pretty damn good to me! ;)
    Was diggin' your chops.
    Had my head boppin' to a few of your tunes.
    Have yourself a nice crunchy deep brooding tone going on thru your amp.

Look forward from more tunes from you. :)

3. Robinr

Robinr Member

Wow, I really like it. ;)

4. spacefuzz

spacefuzz Member

hey, thanks. ;)
    it's actually not an amp! I'm using a amp modeling program called Amplitube. The bass tracks are actually done with guitar using the program's pitch shifter(I was too lazy to walk 10 feet and grab a bass). I was pretty amazed when I first tried it, had a really wide range of amp/cab/micing models and stompbox/rack fx. pretty cool, although the only thing it cant replicate is natural feedback! ;D so i might try micing a real amp next time. I pretty much only use the laptop recording setup for preproduction/prerehearsal, the cut and paste editing features of digital recording make the process fast for that.

5. antichef

antichef Member

I like the songs - very nice playing and I'm impressed with what you got out of Amplitude. I played with it some, but I think I'll dig it back out.

The computer amp models are just too easy to use and sound great these days. I've got a bunch of amps and decent microphones, etc., but I'm recording at home and so in order to use them, I have to:

1) pick out a decent room in the house and setup, which usually involves moving furniture
    2) hook up the mic and everything
    3) get everyone to stay out of the room or be quiet
    4) spend a bunch of time messing with the mic position, and maybe worry about EM interference causing noise
    5) spend an anxious moment wondering if the neighbors are going to call the police because of what I'm about to do.
    6) play the track
    7) apologize profusely to my wife who was trying to talk on the phone to her boss, and beg her to let me re-track because I messed up halfway through
    8 ) retrack
    9) tear down and put the furniture back.
    10) probably have to deal with previously undetected animal noises on the track later

alternatively, with the computer model, I just plug into the interface off in the corner - life continues as usual for the other people in the house, the track doesn't have any unwanted noise or reverb, etc., etc. - very tempting. For leads, I pretty much don't use the amps any more, because I'm not sure I can get a better sound.

6. spacefuzz

spacefuzz Member

:D Oh, yeah! Just the fact that it's so easy to use... no stuff to lug around and set up, no angry neighbors... and hell, let me be honest, my apartment is like a glorified closet, I aint got room fer nuthin. I can do as many takes as I want to get that damn solo down, and cut an paste verses and choruses in seconds. I mean, it's not like I'd ever consider using it to make a full-fledged album or demo, but for pre-production and songwriting it's the bee's knees!

oh and thanks for the kind words regarding my gawdawful playing. :p

7. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

O0 approved

too bad they stopped making qualudes

happy memories are conjoured up when i listen to stuff like this

8. MGrd

MGrd Member

Well done, but I think the Metall category isn't the correct one.

9. spacefuzz

spacefuzz Member

[quote author=vkgphil link=topic=13513.msg179750#msg179750 date=1181786614]
    O0 approved

too bad they stopped making qualudes

happy memories are conjoured up when i listen to stuff like this

[/quote]

Ah yes the good ol' carefree days of youth, drugs and rock n roll. How I miss them... or maybe not, I was kind of a jerk and loser when i was high. ;D

[quote author=MGrd link=topic=13513.msg182165#msg182165 date=1182989970]
    Well done, but I think the Metal category isn't the correct one.
    [/quote]

Thanks. I agree that the category isnt quite correct. In the 90's it was called Stoner Rock or Stoner Metal, but now I believe they call it Retro Metal. Either way, it's really too small of category to exist on a site like soundclick. Plus there some Doom and Psychedelic influence there as well, so it falls under Metal.

10. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

You inspire me my friend. ;)

I thought Iommi was gonna rip out a lead on the first couple of hits I listened to.
    You got the "scary music" idea down to a tee..
    Send some of this on to Ozzy....I'll bet you get something published....it only takes a try..and balls....lol

I am very glad I listened to your stuff. I am very impressed....My closet apartment is tired of the men in the blue suits demanding I turn down the SLO 100 full stack...Yeah...they freak out when they see it......He He He :D
    I hide the airsoft guns....yikes.....
    Here is the 1/2 stack version I usually keep...Gotta watch for earthquakes in CA.....
    [​IMG]

Thanks again for the great listen :)!

11. spacefuzz

spacefuzz Member

thanks for the kind words, spunky. were currently auditioning vocalists and working the kinks out of the songs, now much better than these pre-demos, and if we find a singer that clicks, hopefully we'll be gigging in few months, and possibly track at Stall #2 in Redondo!

...and I am totally envious of your SLO and tall Marshall cab, and that Firebird is badass! :Droolin:

ya know, I remember the last time we had a quake... this big Coors beer neon sign I had above my bed fell on me and woke me up! We haven't had one in a while... and thats bad sign cause we're prolly due for one... (fingers crossed)