My new 2021 61’ SG Standard with Maestro Vibrola

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Six_string_belief, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Six_string_belief

Six_string_belief New Member

Hey everyone, just joined the forum and I’m looking forward to diving into all the great information here! I just purchased a 2021 61’ Standard with Maestro Vibrola! I was really excited about it but had some reservations about whether or not it would stay in tune with use of the Vibrola! I’m pleased to say that for me at least, the tuning stability is great and I couldn’t be happier! I really like the 61 classic humbuckers as well. I find them to be bright and glassy with plenty of clarity. Overall I’m just thrilled with this guitar. It’s my first SG and I am quickly finding out why people like them so much! I attached a link to a couple minutes of noodling!

2. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

Welcome. Nice chops. You have much more faith in that vibrola bar than I do. Have the same year/model and generally keep it twisted toward the tailpiece and use the palm of my hand to do some light vibrato as an effect. But I do love the guitar itself and was pleasantly surprised by its tuning stability, but I guess if it couldn't stay in tune by design there wouldn't be much point in building the guitar that way.

3. Six_string_belief

Well I love the look of it and a lot of people said that they bought it for that reason but never used it because they couldn’t keep it in tune but I’ve been using it a ton since I got it and I have not had any significant tuning issues at all. I really think the design is aesthetically pleasing and having it be functional is obviously a huge benefit!

Oh, and thank you for the kind words about my playing! much appreciated!

4. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Nice playing, and a nice looking guitar as well. Sounds like yours is properly set up, which is a "must" for any guitar with a vibrato system on it. If it isn't staying in tune it needs some attention. Yours sounds just peachy! :thumb:

5. Six_string_belief

yes, it did get a decent set up at the factory but I went through it and set it up to taste as it had a bit too much neck relief for me.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  6. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Yup, I find there are always some things to do to get a guitar to my liking, but it is always nice when the factory (or a previous owner) gets a lot of the kinks worked out ahead of me. Saves me a bit of work. :D

Six_string_belief likes this.
  7. Six_string_belief

totally agree!

8. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Member

Congrats and welcome! Funny, just found some SG posts from you on Instagram today! Funny…
    Welcome to the club!

9. Six_string_belief

Hey, Mike! Just followed you back! Small world!

gypsyseven likes this.
  10. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Member

Absolutely! Hopefully see some great SG content soon from you!
    Thanks Shad!