My recording setup for now

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by 68Sg, Jun 7, 2007.

1. 68Sg

68Sg Member

I'm using the newer 1.3.3 'beta' version of Audacity software to record all my stuff from here on out as it handles input and clipping WAY better than the earlier version. It also handles the Bass guitar input WAY better.

Vox Valvetronix amp for it's flexibility and great tones.

My computer-
    AMD 2600+ cpu
    1Gig Mushkin RAM
    Nvidia soundcard
    Typical 300G 8Mb cache hard disk

Haven't had anything but fun with this setup.

Ryan

2. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

how are you actually recording? does the vox have a direct out?

3. 68Sg

68Sg Member

Yeah it has a line-out/headphone out, and I go straight from there with a guitar cord into the PC soundcard-mic input using a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. The Vox cuts signal to the speaker when you plug into the line-out.

I use headphones while I'm recording.

I don't see how I could get a pro sounding recording out of Audacity, but I can definitely get a decent sounding drafts of songs to go into the studio with.

4. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Did Audacity used to be Cool Edit, before somebody like Adobe bought it?

5. 68Sg

68Sg Member

No, I don't think so. Audacity is freeware and open source because the users are the ones who modify it or create new features etc..

I don't think Adobe owns it, but I could be wrong.

6. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

yep. audicity is pretty spiffy.

7. Ry-Guy

Ry-Guy Member

[quote author=68Sg link=topic=13826.msg179452#msg179452 date=1181604688]
    I don't see how I could get a pro sounding recording out of Audacity, but I can definitely get a decent sounding drafts of songs to go into the studio with.
    [/quote]

Its not the software that limits you.. Its the fact that you are running a line out into a sound card that is designed for output only. get a cheap interface (usb or firewire) and record the same exact way and you will see a huuuuge quality difference. =)

8. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Ry-Guy, I agree that a dedicated audio interface would improve matters, but I would guess that 68sg is refering to the simplicity and (complete?) lack of effects and plugins that limits recordings from sounding more pro like instead of being a simple and dry recording.

A dedicated PC interface can help matters considerably (many offer near zero latency monitoring for example), plus they are often bundled with editing software to help make your stuff sound better and improve studio like functionality.

I believe they are coming out with some new stuff for entry level PC studio musicians as I've been scanning Guitar World's recent issues for example. There's a few software developers in particular (they make cool sounding tube amp sims) who are also moving into bigger and better things like recording studio stuff. One of them even has a hardware PC interface,,, so things are shaping up good for home and project studios these days. ;)

9. axmaker

axmaker Member

[img width=640 height=121]http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/2/3/3/339233.jpg[/img]

here's what i use. i can even go through it before a live sound pa to get killer live recordings.....

10. Ry-Guy

Ry-Guy Member

Nice.. I plan on getting a digimax to lightpipe to my Digi003 sometime soon.