My White Whale

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by catstudioguitars, Nov 2, 2020.

1. catstudioguitars

catstudioguitars Member

I have been looking for a white SG for a while.I recently sold my 1986 '62 reissue to raise funds for such a purchase. The '62 'prehistoric' is a mind numbingly cool guitar, but the neck shape wasnt for me.

I have this 2013 coming to me from Chicago Music Exchange!

Lindy Fralin Pure PAF pickups 7.6k neck 8.0k bridge I believe Alnico 2 lightly potted
    Emerson Pots and Paper in Oil caps
    6lbs 6 oz
    neck width .8 to .9 - should be a good fit for me. Slightly thicker than most '61 style SGs, which is great. I really like necks that are in the .85 by the first fret to .95-1.00 at the 12th ballpark, so this will be my thinner SG neck, for sure. That said, I can get on with thinner necks depending on the shape of the shoulder.

I will be putting .11-.52 strings on it, I think. D standard.

Note:I have owned some white SGs in the past. a 1988 SG P90 Double (weird pre Sg-Z thing with a Steinberger trem system and 25.5 scale) a Epiphone SG 3 Custom, and a 1966 Melody Maker SG refin (avatar). I dont own any of those anymore.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    JakeG, football27, papagayo and 11 others like this.
  2. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Active Member

Same here, traded my ‘86 reissue, for a Strat. But today I’m happy with my 2013 natural burst, no guitar can beat it...

3. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Member

Congrats, that’s a beauty! I wasn’t looking for a white one or even an SG for that matter, but I happened upon one by chance back in 2010 and still have it...in my avatar :)

4. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Thats gorgeous! Exactly the kind of SG I'm looking for but after 3 years of searching, there have still been none appear in the Sydney area. Maybe one day

5. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Very nice !

6. Retrop

Retrop Member

Very nice, and Lindy Fralin makes some of the best pickups you can get. I'm fortunate to actually live 20 minutes from his shop, great guy!

7. Justin

Justin Member

I’ve never been a fan of white SGs particularly, but that one would be an exception—that’s one pretty guitar.

8. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

Almost like the one Samantha Fish performs with maxresdefault.jpg

9. catstudioguitars

catstudioguitars Member

Its here and I love it. Its a good one.

Fretwork: better than most modern Gibsons
    Neck angle: Feels in the sweet spot.
    Nut: Feels good maybe too good,might have had some slight work done already.
    Pickups: The Fralins are low output goodness
    Neck shape: Inbetween ,and I mean inbetween. Not like how most people say all the large guard rounded ones are inbetween. This is like,inbetween the inbetween. Really a compromise 'one size fits all' shape and I like it a lot. Its maybe like a slim taper plus 10% depth and a wider shoulder.
    ABR-1 aftermarket bridge of some sort (has studs, doesnt go direct into body)

Perfect weight guitar about 6.5 pounds. Havent used it with a strap yet but I imagine modest neck dive.

Tuners are Kluson Deluxe.

Thumb bleeders on the controls are a nice touch.

Negatives: I think the inlays were changed to the sharper corner version by what seems a relatively amateur luthier. The epoxy has some sloppy residue which ive cleaned up as much as I dare, and there are some fretboard gouges.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    SG standard likes this.
  10. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

White is my favourite colour on SGs, and my first SG was a white 2014:
    [​IMG]

What you're saying about the neck profile is interesting: I notice very little difference going between the slim taper neck on my 2014 and the rounded profile necks of my other two current SGs. But there was a noticeable difference in feel between all three of them and the slim taper neck on the 2016 SG Supreme I recently traded. When I bought the 2014 I thought I loved slim taper necks, but it turns out I prefer the slightly chunkier rounded profile, and the '14 was actually quite close to that. As you put it, an inbetween the inbetween of the rounded profile. :)

11. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

White SGs are nice. I got hooked when I first saw Buck Dharma in the seventies. I like my '62 Special.

IMG_0467.JPG

jonnyfez, SteveFord59 and SGBreadfan like this.
  12. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Cream / White with gold hardware :thumb:

Gibson SG White 213.JPG

SG John and SteveFord59 like this.
  13. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Member

Very nice indeed! I’m a big Buck/BOC fan, but it only occurred to me that I ended up with an SG that looks like his old one a bit after I bought it...was an impulse buy at the time, only because it played and sounded so great and couldn’t leave the store without it. Cool kind of serendipity I suppose :)

SG John likes this.
  14. football27

football27 Member

That's a beautiful SG. Enjoy. :smile:

15. Brian Mathus

Brian Mathus New Member

Question about the SG ‘62 that you sold to fund this purchase — I’ve always wanted one of these since I first saw the Angus Young ad for it in Hit Parader as a kid, but I’ve never played one. What was the neck like, and what about it didn’t agree with you? I’ve learned that I prefer rounded vs slim necks. What did the SG ‘62 have?

16. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Active Member

Love my junior 55314DD3-48FA-4EDF-8480-45F1E0110BCE.jpeg

papagayo and SG John like this.
  17. JakeG

JakeG New Member

I love white SG Guitars :bowdown:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020