My Wife is the Best !! 2008 Diablo SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by ruster1, Sep 17, 2021.

1. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

For our 25th wedding anniversary my wife (knowing my affection to SG's) sought out and purchased a SILVER (yes, 25th is a silver anniversary for those interested) Guitar of the month 2008 (December i believe). It is a rather hefty piece of mahogany cut out with like a faux arch top but feels beautiful to play. The neck is rounded 50's profile but not chunky at all and is slick and not sticky. The chrome pickup bezels are a nice touch and the simple V-T arrangement works. The February Diablo of the same year had also 24 frets but a rosewood bound board which I don't find as pleasing on this particular model. The black ebony unbound really is polished to a shine and works better with the silver IMHO. The chrome truss cover is a nice touch as well.. quite heavy.. as i made a few tweaks to lower action and straighten neck slightly.. truss rob turns flawlessly.. action is amazing at 4/64 & 3/64..

The PUPS are labeled Burstbucker Rhythm and Lead Pro.. and come in a 7.5k and 8.0k respectively and sound beautiful and powerful both clean and with grit.. the neck is amazing as I dont own an SG Special without binding i have to get used to the look and the 24 frets of course but the fretboard is beautifully rounded and feels fantastic.

she had 2 to choose from and this one even had minor fret wear but no blemishes and a LOW production #.. and orginal case and build sheet included.. I think she did a GREAT job.. I had to admit, the silver was shocking but i have come to love it.. and it feels right in the hands.. where my pick hand pinky rests is scalloped a bit and feels awesome..
    20210915_210445_resized.jpg 20210915_204622_resized.jpg 20210915_204641_resized.jpg 20210917_103211_resized.jpg 20210917_103217_resized.jpg

2. Torren61

Torren61 Member

That carved top is really nice. Silver as a reminder of why it was purchased was brilliant on her part. Very minimalistic and classy. She did well and you're lucky to have someone who can tolerate you for that long, lol.

No Talent and ruster1 like this.
  3. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

You got that right.. lol.. even with my GAS issues. I suppose the gift I got for her more than made up for any unnecessary gear purchases over the years.. i have quite a long time before that wears off.. lol.. she did an amazing job.. That ebony board against the silver is special.. and it plays really fantastic.. a bonus..

4. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

upload_2021-9-17_9-11-39.jpeg

Dave and ruster1 like this.
  5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Funny how that works. I hate bling, flashy guitars. I like them simple.

This one is kind of both and none. Like Torren61 said, minimalist and classy, but not too classy to be kitch. I like it. Does it sounds like a SG ?

Chuteboxehero and ruster1 like this.
  6. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

It does in fact.. the Burstbucker is slightly hotter than my others which are Tim Shaw and T-Top replicas from Craig Vineham.. but all the SG vibe is there.. i have to weigh this guitar as it feels like 7.5 lbs.. a bit on the heavier side.. the Red Diablo in my opinion does not have the vibe that the silver one does.. the Ebony board polished to a shine really POPS with the body .. Curious that the body paint holds up really well but the headstock is beginning to show signs of the green fade so common on silverbursts back in the day.. that is curious to me.. the body shows no sign of it.. Its my first without binding as well.. has the "SG Special" thing going.. the neck seems much wider if i look at the string spacing.. but keeping in mind the bound boards have a different look as well.. so far its awesome.. cant put it down..

7. Carrion

Carrion Active Member

thats a killer SG :)

ruster1 likes this.
  8. Carrion

Carrion Active Member

i didn't know Diablo's came without binding?

9. Spiral

Spiral Active Member

I hope you plan on returning the favor to the wife. Both she and the guitar, definitely keepers.

10. dumpster chicken

dumpster chicken New Member

Does she have any sisters?

Decadent Dan and Dave like this.
  11. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

SWEET!

Congrats.

ruster1 likes this.
  12. MR D

MR D Active Member

WOW, U beat me to it !

13. MR D

MR D Active Member

CONGRATULATIONS are in order here ! CONGRATULATIONS ! WOW !
    Bro, I am sure you already know. But I gotta say, that guitar and your wife are both SWEETHEARTS !!!
    The 24 fret SG 'Special' I have is a 2015. The width of the Fret-Board on my 'Special' is wider than most SG's.....Its 1-13/16" if I recall rightly, rather than the usual 1-11/16". Seems that @ only an 1/8" it shouldn't make a difference, and its certainly not a big dealio, but that 1/8" is actually noticeable when playing. From the little bit I know, round about 2016 the Silver truss Rod cover was usually(?) put on the High-Performance USA line models....BUT IDK back in '08 that may not have been the case. I like that..... a lot, really smooth touch that TR Cover is. Does the TR Cover have anything printed on it ? I could not decipher that from the pics posted.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  14. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Not necessarily as good. I know I wouldn't go for the sis in law.

15. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Yes, the original guitar of the month from 2008 started with the Red diablo with rosewood and binding. They later in December put out the silver with ebony and no binding.. later versions with maple tops came later I believe .

16. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

It does not have a print on it . I believe the red version a few months prior had the binding and SG printed on it.. it does add a special touch.. I thought it was chrome over plastic but it is heavy metal.. no pun intended...lol

17. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Yes 2 but both taken and not nearly as wonderful from a gear aquisition syndrome perspective..

DrBGood likes this.
  18. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

From the reaction when I gave her gift I think I can have GAS for the next 50 years.. lol.. but that wasn't the point.. but glad she approved.. I sure got lucky with both..

19. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

Fantastic unit !

You better grab that second one before its gone.

Needs some 2018 HP II chrome knobs and switch cap also.
    18-HPII.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    ruster1 likes this.
  20. laza616

laza616 Active Member

Happy anniversary!!! You have a great wife! She was most definitely THE ONE, amazing. Congratulations
    To the guitar: something on this guitar makes me want to play some 60's music with it. Its like this guitar was some noble woman. I have never seen this model before. And it just proves that any finish fits the SG. It does not look bad at all. I wonder how the silver will turn out in few years when exposed to the light. Also this will look killer if the finish will crack like vintage guitars are.

ruster1 likes this.