Mystery SG MIJ copy: Wheel of Fortune edition

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Szegedin, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Szegedin

Szegedin New Member

I picked up this sweet SG copy with the familiar "Steel Adjustable Neck - Made in Japan" neck plate.

Does anybody recognize the ornamentation on this headstock that might ID this guitar? The letters of the brand are worn off, but almost legible. I see an "O" , something, another "O" but this also could be a sticker that was not the brand... Six, seven, eight letters?

The pickups and the bridge tailpiece don't scream 70s Matsumoto to me, but they might not be original. Neck is straight and action is super, super low. Pickups are...let's see, do we have a barf emoji here?... not great.

Anybody recognize anything here?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  2. Szegedin

Szegedin New Member

SOLVED:
    By looking at the letters there reading across instead of down, I can faintly see that it's a Carlo Robelli. But a 70s one apparently, not the current cheap stuff sold by Sam Ash.

I'm stoked to have found this for very cheap. It plays fantastically well -- always wanted an SG for that reason, although I'm a strat guy. The pickups are terrible (I guess I'm not used to humbuckers), and the tuners are so terrible that I think that might have discouraged the prior owner for learning to play guitar. But these are easy fixes. It has the very small vintage frets that I love (maybe 6130 low & wide?). This is maybe going to be by first fret job on a guitar with binding. :ohno: